Looking for

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnRebel

if you don't mind hunting on public land try these WMA's

Cherokee National Forest-Hunting --------------- never mind wrong aria for you .

Edited by TnRebel
wrong info
  • 1 month later...

Please don't take any offence at this, I mean none by it, but those of us with private land to hunt have had to do all the leg-work involved in getting it, up to & including paying out craploads of money each year. It is hard come by & hard won & expecting someone to ask a complete stranger to come in & join the fun is unreasonable.

There are millions of acres of public land in the State, but again, those who hunt it successfully have spent many hours, days & weeks walking it, learning it & scouting it. Those of us with pre-scouted public land or private land or leases are very defensive & secretive about it. If there's a chance that I may see one nice deer on a piece of TVA/TWRA land that I've scouted, you couldn't torture it out of me!

You need to get onto the TWRA website & find out what public land is available in your area. Once you've found it, get on Google Earth & do some virtual scouting. When you have an area picked out, get your boots on & go walk the land. Look for sign. Try & jump deer out of their beds & remember where their bedding areas are. Find their food sources & try to establish trails & travel corridors between the food & the bedroom. If you get setup on these trails with the wind in your favor, you'll find deer. You really need to be staring your scouting the day after deer season closes & then continue it until the opening day the next year.

This is what the rest of us have to do, year in & year out to be able to fill our freezers. It's a lot more work than the TV would have you believe, IF you want to be successful.

Again, please take this as advise, not criticism, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone who's prepared to do all of this work & then just hand it over to someone else.

Fort Campbell is withing your driving range and may be your best bet. Their gun season (muzzleloader, shotgun) is in now. Google "fort campbell mwr/ hunting"....will tell you all you need to know to hunt post. There are world class bucks out there...well worth the time and effort!

Well I had a great place I've hunted for 6+ years but the owner of the land died in january of this year and the land was sold. I started this thread early in the hopes of finding another steady place..... I have also thought of leasing some land but funds are low currently ... if I can find the right spot ill probably try to lease still.

Lease land is hard to come by around here, and good private property is even hardere to come by. Publice land is probably your best bet. Again...Fort Campbell is just about in your back yard. Monster deer and a few hogs are worth giving that place a shot.