Magpul B.A.D. Lefty Advice Needed

Guest Torrin

Guest Torrin

Are there any lefties out there using the Magpul BAD? I decided to go with a righty AR, since there is such a limited supply of lefty parts. If you are using on, how are there? Also, any other tips/addons for a lefty shooting a right handed AR? I am planning on installing an ambi selector switch.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I run my ARs bilaterally (I'm a righty that trains on both sides) here the two methods I've used...

• After inserting the new magazine into the well, move your support hand to the forearm
  • Partially break your firing grip with your left hand to sweep your hand up to the BAD lever "pad" that covers the factory bolt release. Depending on the size of your hand/fingers, you may be able to accomplish this with varying degrees of breaking your grip.
  • Benefit here is that you are effectively training for a method that will work on any AR, including those without BAD levers.
  • Downside is that you are breaking your firing grip.

• After inserting the new magazine into the well beer can style, sweep the BAD lever with your thumb as you move your hand away and towards the forearm. You can make this part of your push-pull process.
  • Benefit is that it's fast.
  • Downsides...you're getting your thumb into the trigger guard under stress and you need to really get comfortable with this before adopting this method. If you get too quick on the process, it's also possible you will send the bolt home on an empty chamber without seating the new magazine. In addition, you're training on a method that will only work on a BAD-configured rifle. (last one doesn't matter for most, but if you are .mil, it's a consideration)

Edited by rgaper

Also, any other tips/addons for a lefty shooting a right handed AR? I am planning on installing an ambi selector switch.

Not knowing your background, the only thing I'd mention is that most ARs don't have an ambi selector. If you are military or LE and might need to use someone else's rifle at some point, you need to think about the risk in adopting a piece of equipment that is unique to your personal rifle. I'm a righty and when I run the gun on my left side, I plant my firing hand's thumb (left thumb) on the left side of the gun. No matter whose AR I use, that'll work.

Guest Torrin

Not knowing your background, the only thing I'd mention is that most ARs don't have an ambi selector. If you are military or LE and might need to use someone else's rifle at some point, you need to think about the risk in adopting a piece of equipment that is unique to your personal rifle. I'm a righty and when I run the gun on my left side, I plant my firing hand's thumb (left thumb) on the left side of the gun. No matter whose AR I use, that'll work.

I really am only worried about firing my AR's I think. I will have to think about it. Maybe the best is to become efficient with a righty AR without any help. I am a true righty with a terrible right eye. :)