TN Senate No Longer Has Republican Majority

Guest macho999

Guest macho999

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/NEWS0201/703150385/1291/MTCN01

Defection removes GOP majority in Senate

By LUCAS JOHNSON II

Associated Press

State Sen. Mike Williams announced Wednesday that he was shedding his Republican affiliation to turn independent.

Williams' move leaves the Senate with an even 16-16 split between Democrats and Republicans and him as the sole independent.

advertisement_300.gif

1pix.gif OAS_AD('300x250_1'); The change won't affect Senate leadership. Ron Ramsey, who in January became the first Republican elected speaker of the Senate since Reconstruction, will remain in the top post for a two-year term despite Williams' switch.

"My first priority is to the people of Tennessee and not the Republican Party," Williams said. "I will be an independent for the remainder of my time in the General Assembly."

Williams, of Maynardville, drew the ire of Republicans three years ago when he bucked his party to help Democratic Sen. John Wilder remain speaker despite a one-seat Republican majority. Wilder rewarded Williams by making him Senate speaker pro tempore.

In this year's speaker's race, Williams came under fire for not disclosing whom he was backing before the vote. He cast his ballot for Ramsey, but not until after Democratic Sen. Rosalind Kurita voted with the Republicans and guaranteed that Ramsey would win.

Williams, 52, said he was turned off by what he called the "gridlock politics" of the Republican majority in the Senate. Williams, who faces re-election in 2008, said he did not plan to caucus with Senate Democrats.

"I will look at each issue solely on its merits and how it affects the state of Tennessee," he said.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Defection removes GOP majority in Senate"

While I want to cry out at the top of my lungs "YAY!!!!", and complain that the Tennessean practically ignored a huge story, in effect this is not much of an issue. Williams has long been the maverick of his party, often crossing party lines and voting with the Democrats. As a result, he is not the most popular guy in the caucus meetings. Democrats have been courting him for a party-switch for years to no avail. The man is an independent.

While Democrats may want to shout out in joy and Republicans gnash their teeth at the prospect of a decade of work designed to take the senate shot to hell, the Williams story, to me at least, has a different side that is worth exploring.

Mike Williams has the nerve -nay the AUDACITY- to rather than hew the party line, to instead represent his constituients to the best of his ability. A man representing not his party, but the citizens of his district. The founders must be rolling over in their graves... ;) His district supports him, he wins re-election despite Republican primary opposition. The man would rather do his job than support a political party. If we had about 535 Mike Williams in Congress right now, we might actually get something done in DC...

While the party activist in me is sad he didnt fully cross the aisle, the American citizen in me wishes him well.

Hey Len, I get the feeling you might not feel that way if Williams was a Democrat who just turned Independent. ;)

The reality is that it probably won't make any real difference. Maybe in a couple of years if Ramsey wants to be Lt. Governor again. He's my state senator, but I consider him to be a pretty-boy. More hair-gel than substance. But I don't have much use for the other legislators I know either.

No offense, but the vast majority of people who want to be legislators are people I wouldn't trust with my dog.

Guest macho999

He's my senator. I'd rather have an independent than anything. I think if he were to move to the Democrats he would not win another election, not in East Tennessee at least.

Guest pherman926

It doesn't really matter what Williams says he is, he was a RINO regardless. Voted to leave Wilder in as Lt. Govenor etc. Just another Jimmy Naifeh b****h.

Just my opinion:)

"Hey Len, I get the feeling you might not feel that way if Williams was a Democrat who just turned Independent. ;) "

Yeah Mars, you are probably right... It makes it easier to think about it rationally, to say the least.

In the end, however, it probably wont change the vote totals on many bills coming through the senate. Williams is still Williams, whatever the letter after his name.

As for your comments about people who want to be legislators, no doubt there are many in that group who I would not trust with my cat, either. However, I have seen many good, decent, people run for office. They often lose, and when they win, they sometimes get corrupted by the system in place. Lots of people are in the game for the power trip, and not for the desire to serve. I wish it were easier to tell them apart -before I pull the lever on election day. This is one of the reasons I got involved in politics -I get the chance to meet these people, and in some cases work closely with them. The more you learn, the more you know.

Long day today. Time for some sleep. :doh:

Yeah, people get corrupted by the system. I recall talking to Rusty Crow a few years ago. He told me it took his first term just to figure out how to work the system. It shouldn't be that way and if it wasn't for the corrupt who just want power, it wouldn't be.

Mars,

You make a very valid point about the corrupt that just want power. This is why I feel very strongly about term limits. The President can serve a MAXIMUM of 10 years provided he inherits the seat of President as Vice President. That should be the maximum amount of time any person should be able to hold any political office. I know many people will say that the voters can institute term limits by voting them out of office, but like Kudzu, once it gets established it is dang near impossible to get rid of it.

I think that is going to be my new signature: Politicians are like kudzu, they get a foothold and then ruin everything.

Guest ProguninTN

I do recall Mike Williams voting with the Democrats, so it's really no big surprise he left the party. On another note, at least John Wilder is no longer in charge. He's too old, and I find it hard to take him seriously.

In a real sense, I agree with Williams desire to be an independent. That's how all of the legislators should vote. Look at the issues and talk to your local people to see how they feel about it. But you might have to point out why the popular view isn't the best because of unintended consequences. That's what legislators should be doing.

Saints, I agree about term limits. That's the only way to get the rotation to prevent corrupt dynasties. Unfortunately you have to get such ideas past the corrupt dynasties to change it.

Mars said:

In a real sense, I agree with Williams desire to be an independent. That's how all of the legislators should vote. Look at the issues and talk to your local people to see how they feel about it. But you might have to point out why the popular view isn't the best because of unintended consequences. That's what legislators should be doing.

You are so right. Often what is the best course of action is not the most popular. Legislators have to juggle the will of the people with the fact that the people often know less than the legislators about an issue and so the majority opinion may be based on incomplete or erroneous information. This is a tough line to walk -when to vote the will of your constituients versus when not to. Even if you make the right choice each time, you will probably get voted out of office and replaced by someone worse than you. So why not just play along? It is so seductive, I'm sure.

I actually liked the guys speech about wanting to be a Tennessean first.

I'm already a lot like Lens' sticky suggests..or at least I'm trying to be.

carrying a firearm is a political act..as well as a moral one, in my opinion. As such we should be ready to be receptive to new ways of thinking as well as concessions..but NOT to the point of endangering our freedom or safety.

this is often a hard line to discern but hey..its the only game in town, so to speak.

As for the power/corruption thing...Never trust anyone completely when it comes to your own personal safety..not the government, not law enforcement...at the end of the day..YOU are responsible for your safety. If we rode herd on the politicians like we should have all along, it wouldn't have gotten this bad, I think...still..Tn is much better off, freedom wise than many other states! just my 2 cents.