Guns and Leather Shooting Academy Level II review.

More than once I have had the conversation with a friend who just got their Carry Permit about what should they do now. I often suggest they research the laws that pertain to handgun carry and self-defense. I also recommend they seek training from a qualified instructor. Finally I suggest they get involved in one of the action pistol sports to get trigger time and gun handling time under the pressure of competition.

This review pertains to the trained instruction part of the equation. When new shooters look at the cost of a standard two day class at one of the big name schools they are often shocked at the total investment they would have to shell out for travel, class fees, hotel, food, and ammo. Compared to training classes offered to get an IT certification, firearms training is often quite a value. That being said, I have been looking for an intro level class that I can recommend that will appeal to those who are limited on time and money. The Guns and Leather Shooting Academy Level II class meets that need.

The class was offered from 5 - 9 on a Saturday evening at Guns and Leather in Greenbrier TN. The shop is about 30 minutes North of downtown Nashville. We met in the classroom behind the shop to complete paperwork, meet the instructors Chris and Tony, and view a brief Power Point on safety, range commands, and a course outline. We also discussed the emergency medical plan should the need arise (It didn't). The prerequisite for this class is their Level I class or a valid TN Carry Permit. I had the latter.

The class of seven (limited to ten total students per class) then moved to the indoor range to gear up and get on the line to shoot. The class was divided into two groups as the range had only five lanes. Each phase of instruction would be explained, the instructor would demonstrate the skill, and each of the two groups would perform the skills. This class followed the crawl, walk, run methodology as new material was combined with previous instruction to add complexity as the students progressed.

This was overall a basic level class that is meant as an introduction to advanced training. The following is some of the material covered:

Stance

Two-handed thumbs forward grip

Proper sight alignment

Proper trigger press

Drawing from a holster and presentation to the target

Tactical (with retention) and emergency reloads

Type 1 malfunctions

Threat assessment and a scan for other trouble

Students were given personal instruction as needed to keep them up to speed or explain a concept further. Students were free to ask questions at any time and I am not aware of any that did not receive a sound explanation.

I'm happy to have found a class I can suggest for those new to the world of handgun carry.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bassman17SC

I took the Level II course back in November. There were only five of us in the class. in addition to the material covered that you listed, we were also introduced to point shooting and shooting on the move (forward and backward).

However, we shot about 400 rounds.

I just took the Level III class this past Sunday. I will post a review of that in a different thread.

Was Chris Smith your instructor?

Edited by Bassman17SC
  • 1 month later...