Full-size mags in 1911-CS

Viracnis

I tried a Google search but couldn't really come up with a specific answer to this - so I decided that the fine folks of TGO would likely know!

As I've said in other threads, I carry a Rock Island 1911-CS in .45 that uses the shorter 7-round magazines. I have two magazines that I've run about 1,500 rounds through collectively that I carry and rely on. A friend at work recently sold his Kimber 1911 and has 3 of the full-size 8-round Wilson Combat magazines that he's looking to sell to me along with some ammunition.

I took one home last night and slid it into the magwell. It seemed to fit and lock into place. The mag release worked fine and I was able to cycle the slide by hand to cycle all 8+1 without any issues. Try as I might, I couldn't make the mags even wiggle unless I hit the mag release. Will these work for range mags? Obviously I'm not going to carry the gun with an extra inch of magazine sticking out the bottom of the grip, but do you fine folks see any reason that I wouldn't use them in my 1911-CS when I take it to the range?

They're in great shape, so I figure worst case scenario I pick them up for $15 each, use them a few times and sell them for what I've got into them or more. But I don't want to get to the range and find myself in an unsafe scenario because I was too proud to ask a long-winded question.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry 8 round mags for spares to my Kimber "Ultra Carry" but I ordered the base pads from Bill Wilson to prevent overinsertion because if you hit the base of an 8 rounder in a 7 rounder, they will jam the slide rendering your weapon useless but it can still be used as a hammer until you can get the mag out and it ain't easy

VIRACNIS,

I don't have a link but I had purchased an 8 roung mag for a Colt officers model and it was a regular 8 round mag with the base pad so I knew they had them so I called 1-800-955-4856 to place the order. They are made from metal.