Aguila Super Colibri in Memphis area?

Guest IceBreakerG

Guest IceBreakerG

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew of any places that sell the Aguila Super Colibri .22 ammo in Memphis? This ammo does not have any powder in it at all, and is propelled by the primer only. Main reason I'm looking for it is to try out with my suppressed P22, because the ammo is supposed to be VERY quiet.

I understand that it will not cycle the action on the P22, but that's not a problem. I've only been able to find this ammo online, but I'd rather try to pick it up locally if anyone carries it. I've actually been looking for that or CCI CB Longs (also supposed to be very quiet as well). Bass Pro Shop off of Macon and Sycamore view carries the CCI CB Longs, but they were out of stock when I stopped by Sunday after church. Also, most of the places I've seen online only sell it in 500rd bricks, and I'd rather get a 50-100rd pack first to try out before I spend $30 on 500rds I may never use.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IceBreakerG

Yeah, I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any local places that had it. Shipping on ammo is like $8-9 from the places I've looked (cheaperthandirt, and a couple others). I don't want to pay $8-9 on shipping for 50rds lol.

Guest IceBreakerG

Thanks for the input. I just bought 300 rounds from ammunitiontogo.com. I got 3x100rd boxes total for the Aguila Colibri, the Aguila Super Colibri and the CCI CB Longs. I figure I'll just try out all 3 and compare them. If anyone is interested, I'll update this thread when I receive them and let everyone know how well they work. Since my primary purpose for getting them is to test with a suppressor, that's what I'll be reporting on. I'll probably fire a few unsuppressed too, but most will be suppressed.

Guest atomemphis

I shot the colibri (not the supers) unsuppressed at a refrigerator recently, just one round, and it was louder than expected, but still fairly quiet.

It is by no means silent without suppressor.

And it certainly does not cycle the slide of my 1911 .22 conversion, or my 10/22

Guest IceBreakerG

Just a quick update. I got the ammo in today. I fired 5 rounds of each, and out of the 3, I like the CCI CB Longs the best so far. However, the Aguila Super Colibri is good too. The Aguila Colibri is a little too slow (it was bouncing off the sheet of wood I was shooting). All 3 types were no louder than a pellet or bb gun with my suppressed P22. I will try to get a video (can't guarantee quality) sometime this weekend though. I didn't fire any of them unsuppressed, I figured I'd do that all at once.

I'll update this thread again when I shoot them some more, but my initial impression so far is to go with the CCI CB Longs or the Aguila Super Colibri. I will say this, none of the ammo cycled the slide, but that was expected. I had 1 FTE with the Aguila ammo, but I just used my finger nail to scoop it out. I didn't have any FTF with any of the ammo.

The one thing I don't like about the Colibri is that it smells awful...don't know what the primers are made of (probably toxic something) but they stink.

Also...interestingly the CCI CB longs do actually have a bit of powder in them.

Guest IceBreakerG

I have over 1600 rounds of .22LR ammo. If that doesn't stop manbearpig, then pray for me :drama:

To I Like Pie, I noticed that too. They smelled really strange. The CCI CB Longs are 710fps, compared to like ~345fps for the Colibri and like ~5xx for the Super Colibri. I'll will probably end up ordering more of the CCI CB Longs though. One of the aguila ammo bounced off the board I was shooting at and hit my car (i don't know where, hopefully it didn't leave a mark or anything though).

Edited by IceBreakerG
Guest IceBreakerG
Wow.I would have thought the Aguila would have been better then that.Heck I have a high powered pellet rifle that will penetrate wood

Well, the board I was shooting at was pine I believe, so it was pretty hard. It was like a 2x8" flat piece. Most of the rounds penetrated the surface, but they obviously didn't go very deep. That goes for both of the Aguila ammo types. They just aren't powerful enough to do much damage (so safe for shooting in the backyard due to the low velocity, if it bounces off of something, it won't kill you). One of the rounds did bounce off the board and hit me in the balls though :) It didn't really hurt too much, but I did feel it when it hit me. It was almost like someone throwing a pebble at you.

Guest IceBreakerG

Alright, I recorded a video yesterday of all the ammo I have (6 different types). I posted it on my blog, so here's the link:

http://www.nfynite.com/blog/?p=11

I look like a dork, I know this, but it was hot as hell yesterday (those of you in Memphis already knew that though), and I just wanted to get it over with and done. The video is about 7mins total.

Guest Halfpint
Great vid...I wish I could waltz out the the backyard and do such tests!! Am jealous.
I'll have that privilege for another two weeks. :D

Eric, good job on the vid (hey it's a lot better than I could do) and thanks for testing the ammo--it's good research for everybody else who decides to go the NFA .22 route.

BTW, I'm going to talk to either Larry or the guy at Brighton Arms when I get back in town about a Tac-Ops Green Hornet, I decided against a suppressed pistol in favor of an integrally-suppressed .22 rifle.

Guest IceBreakerG

Thanks Chance. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Aguila Super Colibri and the CCI CB Long ammo as far as what I'd like to use for really "quiet" ammo. I may order about 500rds of each and just use both of them. They both worked really well though. I had several FTFs with the Aguila Colibri though. So I'm just gonna stay away from that.

I do need a better back stop though. You could see the wood starting to splinter, because the rounds were going through it. It was stopping them completely for the first 70-100 rounds though :D Good luck on the rifle. It's much easier for me to hide a pistol in my neighborhood when I'm outside than a pistol, so I'm sticking with that lol.