Attorney / Aftermath plans?

So, even if I am totally justified in defending my life and taking that of another, I know I will have a legal battle ahead of me. And it will get expensive (though my life is worth the cost, to be sure).

A couple of questions...

Who do you guys in Knoxville have as your go-to attorney? Does he/she charge for the initial meet / consult?

If / when I am found innocent, will I still be out my attorney and legal fees?

What about the civil suite to follow after the criminal hearing?

Basically, what is your plan for the aftermath? What wisdom do you have?

Thanks.

Edited by knox

Read your local papers and pay attention to who the prominent defense attorneys in criminal cases are. That is the guy you are gonna want.

And be prepared to pay up front. Initial consults might be free but they won't ply their trade on the cuff.

I am not sure how to venture a guess on the initial outlay of cash. Certainly it will depend on the circumstances.

Guys, I don't want to make this an advertisement, but there are a number of things to consider here. No offense to Mike, but I wouldn't just look to the best known criminal attorneys in town. In a self-defense case, you need an attorney who knows guns, gun training, and the right experts who can testify on your behalf. I know a LOT of really good defense attorneys who I would not use in a self-defense case.

There are a number of ways to go about it, but I would suggest starting with one of the attorney advertisers on TGO. there is one in each division of Tennessee. There are also a few on here that are not advertisers, but are good attorneys who could handle a self-defense case.

I think an initial call or email would allow you to ask what would be needed to "retain" that attorney. Each will have a different requirement for that.

I am contemplating hosting a meeting where attendees could discuss self-defense law, aftermath issues, retaining attorneys, hiring experts, and similar issues. It would be held in Franklin, but would be a free event. I will post that in a different post to avoid hijacking this thread, though.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies so far. Chip, I appreciate you chiming in!

The more I study, the more I realize there is FAR more to this than simply defending yourself. I have heard some say (not on this forum) they would almost rather NOT defend themselves than deal with the financial and emotional burden after the fact.

It is certainly something to be prepared for BEFORE it happens.

No offense taken Chip.

My scenario was more based on "you are now charged with murder".

If it is self defense I did not think I would need a criminal attorney. Until the civil part of the deal happens.

It is nice of you to set up a seminar on this topic. I wish I was close enough to attend.

Initial thoughts on aftermath would be to call the police immediately, provide any assistance, protect the area (guns sometimes come up missing and shell casings can be disturbed), and seek assistance (family / legal). Once the police arrive (your gun is holstered) and after you've identified yourself, the perp and any witnesses, I understand that it's best to state that your life was in danger and that you intend to file charges. Since the investigating police officer will have much influence on the investigation outcome, it's also good to say that you will cooperate within 24 hours in the presence of your attorney. At that point, offer no further details since anything you say can be used against you.

You should ask to be taken to a hospital. You could be sick (due to adrenaline rush) and this removes you from the gunfight scene and allows both family / attorney to communicate (and meet) with you prior to any further police interaction. Blood work is also advantageous since it provides a record that you're not impaired.

I also understand that your handgun will be confiscated as evidence (although it will be returned after a lengthy period), and it's best to have a back-up primary gun that you can use while any investigation is on-going. This helps if the perp has any friends intent on retaliation.

From a court perspective, there's others who can better comment (I'm no lawyer). Legally, it would all depend on the circumstances regarding court time and expenses. I think the best that you could hope for (other than being alive) is that you're not prosecuted criminally and any civil suit is dismissed early on. Bottom line, it's imperative that you act / communicate as a law abiding citizen who has survived a very serious ordeal.

Mike

Edited by mcrichar
  • Like 1