WASR upgrade

Guest Loki

Here is my WASR when I got it:

Ugly, unfinished wood, bad finish.

ak2.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

Broke her down, refinished the furniture and finish, and polished the bolt carrier.

Did it in "Russian Red", using the stain formula on AR15

001-3.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Those pics were taken at dusk, makes the color darker than it is. These pics show the actual color it turned out:

015-1.jpg

021.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sand the wood

2 coats of Minwax "Red Mahogany 225", wiping off excess between coats

Then a bath overnight in Rit Dye "Scarlett 5".

Let dry for 24 hours then 3 coats of Deft simi-gloss spray-on wood finish

For the Rit Dye bath I got two bottles of the liquid Rit and one of those plastic tubs the give you at the hospital. Put in the wood, weighted it down and poured in the dye, added water till it was covering the wood, then let is soak over night.

Whole thing cost about 15 bucks

There's a more complicated formula involving leather dye, iodine and Rit, but this worked pretty well.

Edited by Loki
added

Thanks all. I was going for a match of the bayonet's handle, damn near nailed it. The bayonet is just slightly darker, but it's very close.

Anybody want to do this to their AK and have any questions, PM me. I'll give some advice. But it's surprisingly easy. This is the first time I've ever broke a gun down that far, and the first time I've done any kind of wood finishing.

Only problem was I tried to put the top hand guard back in the wrong direction, and snapped it in half. Superglued it back for now. I kept the left-over Dye bath and materials and ordered a replacement from Classic Arms. Upper AND lower original WASR furniture for 9.95!

Nice looking gun. By the way, does recognizing the Mandalorian emblem on your license plate make me a colossal nerd?

No more than having a tattoo of it on my left arm makes me one!

Guest mikedwood

It looks like you have turned that silk purse into a silk purse. Looks great.

Mine still looks like a sows ear but I like it a lot.

I really like the AK platform.