What does this mean

Guest DylisTN

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted."

saw this on http://carryconcealed.net

This was for a couple states that don't honor TN permits

Means their state law "preempts" ("takes precedence over") local law. .

Means you can open carry with a permit, period.

(I've not even played a lawyer on TV, though).

- OS

Guest ProguninTN
"Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted."

saw this on http://carryconcealed.net

This was for a couple states that don't honor TN permits

I will add that the foot to vehicle comparison is weird but important. Some states such as PA have odd laws which allow foot carry without a permit/license, but require one to carry inside of a vehicle. (Carry on foot-ok, step into the car, you commit a crime unless you have permit/license) Weird, but do what you have to stay out of trouble I suppose.

I will add that the foot to vehicle comparison is weird but important. Some states such as PA have odd laws which allow foot carry without a permit/license, but require one to carry inside of a vehicle. ...

Yeah, I think this reporter's confrontation in New Hampshire is somewhat about that distinction:

(starts with audio only, then video cuts in)

- OS

Yeah, I think this reporter's confrontation in New Hampshire is somewhat about that distinction:

(starts with audio only, then video cuts in)

- OS

I thought it was funny, the 3 cops having a little conference talking it over.

The dude was a tad bit arrogant, even though he was within his rights.

I thought it was funny, the 3 cops having a little conference talking it over.

The dude was a tad bit arrogant, even though he was within his rights.

Seemed more like confidence to me.

What are the Tennessee laws regarding showing identification to the police? Obviously if you are carrying and they ask, you are required to show your identification, but what if you are walking along unarmed?

Stop and Identify laws have been ruled constitutional by SCOTUS, but TN has no such law. So I think you have to be in custody or detained before you have to idnetify yourself.

But in TN you must present your HCP upon demand to a LEO. Obvisouly if you are OCing he can ask to see your HCP.

I think this is somewhat related. The reason a LEO can't stop you while driving just to see if you have a DL is, there is no law against driving, in general. Just that you have a license to do so. Well there is a law against carrying a weapon in TN. Having a HCP is just a defense to that law. Now in states where OC is legal without a permit, one could argue that a LEO shouldn't stop someone for simply OCing, but in TN as far as the officer knows you are breaking the law by carrying a firearm until you are able to "defend" your actions by presenting your HCP.

<snippage of good stuff>... Now in states where OC is legal without a permit, one could argue that a LEO shouldn't stop someone for simply OCing, but in TN as far as the officer knows you are breaking the law by carrying a firearm until you are able to "defend" your actions by presenting your HCP.

Extremely lucid explanation.

- OS