The Pit Stop BBQ in Summertown

Does anyone know anything about this place?

The Friends of NRA dinner that I attended the other night had some BBQ catered by these folks. The had pulled pork, potato salad and baked beans. Everything was amazing, but the potato salad would make you smack your momma right in the kisser. It was the best I'd ever put in my mouth. And trust me, my fat a$$ has put away some tater salad.

The potato salad tasted more like a loaded baked potato, rather than the traditional mayo or mustard style most of us are used to.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's an actual restaurant or not, because the actual name of the place is 'Pit Stop BBQ & Catering'. I wasn't sure if this was some deal that was run out of someones home, or a restaurant where you could order take-out.

Living 2+ hours away, it's not like I can just run over to pick something up for dinner, but my route sometimes gets me right through Summertown. I could always take a cooler along and pick some up on the way back to Nashville. That's the plan anyway.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do have a small restaurant in Summertown, ( That's where I live) that is open during the summer months usually. I believe catering is what they do most.

Everything I have ever tried from there was really good. They do call their potato salad "loaded potato salad.....it's good !

• 4 months later...
Guest c_o_jones

Rick's barbecue is only good if you are 'starving',

Big John's is only slightly better.

If you want really good BBQ, Shaffer's Meat Market on Hwy 43 in Summertown has the best.

I am not really a 'sauce guy', their BBQ is wonderful without it -

(In competition BBQ, sauce hides a multitude of sins.)

but Shaffer's uses real whisky in the sauce you can taste,

it really makes their BBQ double-good,

and it might even make you want to do shots of the sauce!

Shaffer's also caters as well.

BTW, I am a KCBS certified BBQ Judge, so take that for what it's worth.:up:

Maybe they BBQ better than they butcher but I will never know. We took a cow there to be processed, they let half the meat spoil and the other they did a hack job of.

Back to the potato salad, was it a like a sour cream, red tater tater, ranch? bacon type tater salad?

I use to love tater salad until had that type....

Back to the potato salad, was it a like a sour cream, red tater tater, ranch? bacon type tater salad?

I use to love tater salad until had that type....

I'm not sure how that stuff is made, but it's like a loaded baked tater (with bacon, yes) that's been run through a mixer. YUMMY! Best if served closer to room temp.