Moving with NFA items

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Since my job requires me to move decently often, before I start the process of getting a SBR i wanted to find out about moving. The thread about forms to transport across state lines got me thinking about this. There is a link in there that says it's illegal to have a SBR in Alabama, so what is the process if you have to move.

Would I have to sell it, or is it grandfathered in since I oalready owned it.

What about a revocable trust? If the trust is registered in one state, what happens when you, and everyone else in the trust, move to another state?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Verbal Kint

You'll have to either sell it, or find somewhere (another state) to keep it. The latter of which is a prime example of why building your SBR with a Legal Trust is a good idea. Any of the Trustees can possess/store the weapon. Granted, you'd still have to fill out the appropriate paperwork to transfer/transport the weapon to the new location and keeper.

Without a Trust in place, I think you'd be pretty screwed (as far as keeping your weapon) if you're moving into a non-SBR-friendly state. But I'm no expert. Simply relating my views on the matter, as best as I've read and understand the legal process.

But, no, there is no "grandfather clause" that I'm aware of in regards to that situation. It's pretty black and white.

Guest Verbal Kint

I would wager that it's the same deal. If it was just another rifle, I'd say you would be okay (maybe) leaving it in your base armory until you PCS'd again. However, with it being an NFA item, I'd say you're still facing the same two options... leaving it with someone listed on a Legal Trust (if one is in place) or selling it. There's really no wiggle room involved, in regards to who/where it can be left.

As I said before, I'm no expert. Your best bet would be to actually contact the BATFE office and ask them your exact question. They're actually very good, and very friendly, about addressing whatever questions you may have... and with an issue such as this, that carries the penalties that it does, it's best to go straight to the source.

Just my $0.02.

i believe that you can rent safe storage (like your local NFA dealers safe) in your current legal state and leave it there while you reside in the commie state. i often read of folks in CA that store their NFA in Nevada.