Remington 7400 and 742 opinions...

tbuford

Hey guys...need input and opinions....I have a tight budget for a deer rifle this year ($400) and have found a couple local that I need some input on. I really like the Remington Auto-loaders and know that they can be tempormental if not kept clean...should not be an issue as I am very methodical with my guns. So, first is a 7400, .270, synthetic w/ matte finish, 4-10x40 Simmons scope (1 yr old) w/ see thru mounts...guy wants $350. Second is a 742, 30-06, carbine (18 1/2" barrel), wood stock, 3-9x? Bushnell scope on see thrus w/ sling ($350)....I need opinions on these weapons as well as things to look for...I am meeting on the .270 tomorrow,...all and any input is appreciated....

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

If you're just going to hunt, and you keep them clean they are great.

If you shoot alot, they get hot FAST. 'course they were never meant as a squad automatic were they?:D

Few years ago a buddy of mine and I were working in the same machine shop. We took after market 10 round mags for a 30/06, cut the bottom off and formed a sheet metal body extension. We used the same follower but used the spring from old BAR mags. THey worked great. We tried to make 20 round mags, but they ended up being 18. 2 mags of surplus ball and that sum beech was smokin'!!!!:screwy:

Guest Astra900

In my limited experience, these guns don't see much range time. Usually they are fired very little, and cleaned even less. Just be sure to learn how to strip it down, and give it the cleaning it deserves before shooting it a lot. Also, I've seen more than one jam because bubba likes to leave the mag loaded for years at a time. If you have a failure, start there first. I have taken the mag apart and cleaned it, and stretched the spring out a bit. It's been a few years since I've really tinkered with one though.

we work on these more then any other semi auto rifle... They will jam and give you problems eventually. Want a great semi auto deer rifle... save up and get a BAR. Or juts hunt iwth an ak or sks.

Phillip...what type of repairs do you see mostly on these weapons?

well, 90% are feeding and jamming problems. Then there was this one last year that had the stock broken. It seemed the guy had a "Hartford Ins" Buck in his sights and the gun screwed up, so he wrapped it around a tree.

Seriously... they are about junk, ask any gunsmith. The Browning BAR is the only way to go that non military.

I bought my 7400 brand new in 1994....and now 14 years latter, I still deer hunt with it. I have never had one problem with it. It has served its purpose many times. I have taken a good number of deer with it.

Mine is a Remington 7400 .30-06 with a 3x9x40 wideview redfield scope mounted on see-thru weaver mounts.

Love the gun.

Thanks for all of the input guys...I picked up the 7400 in .270 yesterday. Great condition, cylinder VERY clean, action VERY smooth, nothing major cosmetic-wise, Scope in like new condition w/great sight pic...very happy overall. Now for you 742 and 7400 owners out there.....what the favorite meal? I need input on what you have found to be the most effective cartridge for your weapon...only 742 and 7400 experiences here...The previous owner said the 130 g Remington Core-lokt was what he used.....what are the thoughts out there.....thanks

Congrats on your purchase of the 7400. I've owned a Rem 7400 for 20 years and it has NEVER jammed. I shoot Remington Corelokt in 130 grains. It puts the SMACK-DOWN on a deer...seriously a very effective round. I tried the 150 gr and was not as happy with as the 130's. Good Luck!

Thanks ibavol.....Hoping to hit the range on Monday or Tuesday to check the "o" and get ready for the 22nd! I will pick up a couple of boxes of some others as well but...from what the previous owner said, and your 20 yrs exp with the weapon...that might be good enough!

I bought a 7400 in 30-06 three years ago for whitetail hunting. It's very accurate, 1/2'" groups at 100 yards. I've only put about 50 rounds through it and the only problems I've had is with the bolt seating. When I chamber a round if I don't make sure I pull the bolt all the way back and let it fly foreward it may stop just short of fully closing. When it was brand new it gave me this same problem when feeding after firing, but it seems to have loosened up and stopped doing that.

Years ago, I performed warranty service and repair for Remington, among other brands.

I will say the Remington autoloading center fires, 740, 742, and 7400 are less than stellar. The 7400 is the best of the lot, but that is not saying much. The Browning rifle is 100 times the gun. I NEVER had a Browning autoloader in for warranty service or any repair. EVER.

Keep them squeaky clean, use fresh commercial ammo. Make sure the chamber is clean, buy and use a chamber brush.

The 270 built its wonderful reputation on the 130 gr load.:rolleyes:

ALWAYS load the rifle from the magazine. DO NOT put a round in the chamber and let the bolt slam shut. It will damage the fragile extractor.

The hot tip on magazines is to use the pump gun mag. The magazine follower is the bolt stop in the auto rifle, and the gun will beat the magazine to death.

The pump gun mag will not hold the bolt open after the last shot is fired, but will last as long as the rifle.

I will second another opinion from a 'smith that there are better rifles out there.

For the 270, a good bolt gun is hard to beat.

John....so where do you do most of your "smithing?" Always good to know a knowledgable person in the business. I was surprised to hear you say as far as the loading from the mag since the manual says from the chamber. Also, I understand in regards to the longevity of the 7600 mag for the 7400 but as far as cleaning and maintenance...how are you keeping the bolt back? Are there significant feeding benefits to the 7600 mag over the 7400? Also, from your experience, what type of ammo did you find to be the most "user friendly" for the .270 (gr, and sp vs. psp) and what were the main issues that you found as far as areas of concern regarding the reliability of the 7400. Always good to know what to keep an eye out for and other areas that need a little extra attention. As far as the cycling problems mentioned in number #15 & #16 above...other than the Remington being less than stellar and buying a Browning...what does your experience in working on the 7400's tell you regarding this issue?