SBS Question

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

I've looked into turning my 18" Rem 870 into a SBS possibly and I was curious, why do some companies sell short barreled uppers for AR-15s without the need for a tax stamp (I know you need one to attach it to a lower, etc), but I haven't seen any companies that sell short barrels for shotguns? Everyplace I look says to take your long barrel to a gunsmith with your tax stamp and they'll shorten it for you (if you choose not to do it yourself). Is there a particular reason why "ready made" short shotgun barrels aren't available or is it just one of those nuances of the world of NFA weapons? Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a WAG, but I would say demand.

It’s just a shotgun barrel; it’s not like it needs to be crowned or squared up to be threaded.

Would you pay $200 for a barrel when you can cut yours off in a vise with a hack saw?

Of course it may be that the ATF either forbids it or wants a cut…. :D

Guest m4coyote

My opinion would be that there are many AR15 pistols, and the installation of one of these short uppers on a pistol lower would not require a tax stamp and would not fall under NFA regulation.

There is no such thing as a smooth bore shotgun "pistol", only AOW or SBS. The installation of a barrel shorter than 18" on any shotgun would fall under NFA regulation.

Guest bkelm18
My opinion would be that there are many AR15 pistols, and the installation of one of these short uppers on a pistol lower would not require a tax stamp and would not fall under NFA regulation.

There is no such thing as a smooth bore shotgun "pistol", only AOW or SBS. The installation of a barrel shorter than 18" on any shotgun would fall under NFA regulation.

Ok, makes sense. I didn't think about AR-15 pistols.

Guest bkelm18

Would you pay $200 for a barrel when you can cut yours off in a vise with a hack saw?

Yep, I probably would. Or at least take mine to someone who knew what they were doing.