Tactical Response AAR

I went to Fighting Rifle about one month ago and it just dawned on me that I never posted so here goes. I'm just copying and pasting this from 'Get off the X' so please bear with it.

Our instructors for the class were; Calvin Lim, Jordan Winkler, Tim Morris, and Jay Gibson.

Calvin led the class for the most part doing about 70-80% of the lecture with Jordan supplementing the rest. At the range he would use humor to keep you chuckling but could immediately jump down your throat when you didn't get your shit together. He would force induce malfunctions on your weapon causing you to quickly "attempt" to clear it.

Jordan was similar to Calvin in the aspect that he could be cutting up with you one minute only to scream his lungs out at you the next to unfuck yourself. Jordan used positive reinforcement to let you know what you were doing was in fact correct. Which, another instructor that used this was...

Tim, he would give it to you like it is and doesn't give damn what you think about it or him for that matter. Do what he tells you and he won't be up in your shit. Tim was also a pretty funny dude and could cut up with everyone, including the instructors, especially...

Jay, those two were cut from the same cloth as anyone could tell at a glance. Jay was a very serious and stoic guy but has a dryer sense of humor so you were always left wondering if what he said was meant to be funny or not. He was very adamant about you moving your ass to cover.  If you didn't he would let you know subtly by saying quietly... "MOVE YOUR FUCKING ASS, YOU'RE BEING SHOT AT MOTHER FUCKER!" So needless to say his quiet voice motivated you to move.

Day one began with a short lecture on proper procedures, basic safety rules, and weapons manipulations. We then headed to the range and we didn't start off with the rifles first, we actually worked on pistol fundamentals. We had to get that together first before we started on the big guns(as they called them). We then worked on numerous drills including shooting on the move, transitioning from little gun(pistol) to big gun(rifle), working your way up from being downed on your back, and proper use of cover. My first AR went down 3/4 of the way through the day, gas block came loose. I had to rely on my backup.

Day two began with transitions once again, covering what we had already learned. The instructors then had us practice heavily with shooting on the move. We then began to do this in teams of two. Finally after lunch we began bounding drills. I only got one in and was put out of commission by an onset of heat exhaustion and to boot my second AR went down(which I think was the extractor, double feeds every 1-3 rounds). The folks who were our assigned medics for the day quickly got me into my truck, stripped my shirt off me, put a cold pack on my neck, cranked up the A/C, and wiped my chest down with ice. The chemistry of my body and weather robbed me of being able to do those last few exercises unfortunately. No one to blame but myself so I'll have to rearm, re-hydrate, and get the hell back out there so that I can get shit done. I had drank about 70oz of water before lunch time but was still dehydrated so don't think just because you drank a lot of water means you're hydrated. Tim put it like this, "If you're not pissing every hour and it's not clear, you're not properly hydrated." So also don't think that just because you don't know everyone there, that they're going to abandon you.  

Take my advice, when they tell you to hydrate, LISTEN. It is not a joke in the least bit at all. I leave you with this, take the class if you wanna learn how to use your rifle but also have a little cardio under your belt. Take it from a "portly" feller.

• Like 1