Where to take HCP class in Memphis?

Slasher

I like Rangemaster. Tom Givens has a good student track record of surviving lethal force encounters, whilst still making good hits. His students (Memphis/Shelby Co. area) are in several shootings a year, and he debriefs all of them, and has made addendums/adjustments in Rangemaster's training doctrine because of it.

I reccommend them regardless of the user's capability/experience.

I don't know if that's a good track record if he has students that are "in several shootings a year", I'd think you'd want to avoid the shooting if at all possible.

My instructor was Dave Pienaar, I thought he was very informative and kept things interesting.

Glad you enjoyed the class Slasher! I hear Dave is a pretty good guy!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sherman A. House
I don't know if that's a good track record if he has students that are "in several shootings a year", I'd think you'd want to avoid the shooting if at all possible.

You're right. It's better to go to a school where the training prepares them to get killed in a gunfight, not prevail.

Obviously situational awareness is paramount. Avoidance, deterrance and descalation are the best options versus a physical altercation. But, when the lethal force option is the only option, Tom Givens is one of the best out there to prepare people for it.

Upon reviewing your other posts though, it looks like you have some bone to pick with Rangemaster, "Punisher." I was under the impression that the OP was asking for a place to take a TN Carry Permit course in Memphis. Presumably that means that he wants opinions from people that have trained in schools in that area. If you haven't trained at Rangemaster, and have, "heard," other things, than you don't really have anything to add to the conversation other than conjecture, right?

Edited by Sherman A. House
You're right. It's better to go to a school where the training prepares them to get killed in a gunfight, not prevail.

Obviously situational awareness is paramount. Avoidance, deterrance and descalation are the best options versus a physical altercation. But, when the lethal force option is the only option, Tom Givens is one of the best out there to prepare people for it.

Upon reviewing your other posts though, it looks like you have some bone to pick with Rangemaster, "Punisher." I was under the impression that the OP was asking for a place to take a TN Carry Permit course in Memphis. Presumably that means that he wants opinions from people that have trained in schools in that area. If you haven't trained at Rangemaster, and have, "heard," other things, than you don't really have anything to add to the conversation other than conjecture, right?

For the record I have never trained with RM, they left a bad taste in my mouth before I ever got to take a class there. Seems to be that way for alot of people.

Anyway you have a PM.

Thanks for all of the responses. I had my class this week at Range USA and they were great. I enjoyed the instructor and they have a real nice shop there. I will defiantly be going back out there to do business.

Thanks again.

So anyway, Slasher what'd you end up qualifying with?

So anyway, Slasher what'd you end up qualifying with?

I used the XD 40 they had there and liked it quite a bit. I ended up getting a 98 on the shooting portion of the test, not bad for someone that has only shot one other handgun his entire life. :)

I plan on going back to try out a couple more of the 40's before i decide on which one to get. I leaning towards the XDm but want to shoot both a Glock and S&W M&P before I decide.

I used the XD 40 they had there and liked it quite a bit. I ended up getting a 98 on the shooting portion of the test, not bad for someone that has only shot one other handgun his entire life. :)

I plan on going back to try out a couple more of the 40's before i decide on which one to get. I leaning towards the XDm but want to shoot both a Glock and S&W M&P before I decide.

All three are excellent guns. Nice job on the test!