*Feeler for cast bullets*

Guest Astra900

Guest Astra900

I was going to get started on a rather large casting binge soon, and I was wondering if there would be any interest in trading for some cast bullets. 210g SWC .452 single groove from a Hensley and Gibbs mold. Cast from wheel weights. UNSIZED AND UNLUBED

If anyone's interested, lets talk about it.

Edited by Astra900
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

I'm going to get started today, and provided it doesn't rain any this week, I should make some decent headway. I'm going to cast until I have a large kitty litter bucket full. Should be in the 15-20 thousand range. I hate casting in the summer, so I am going to work up enough to last a while.

I have no idea what a raw casting would be worth. That's why I didn't list it in the for sale section. Even if you're not interested in them, I would appreciate any ideas on value. I can't see it being worth the time for anything less than "by the thousand" but that's just my opinion.

These bullets work great in a .45acp. I am going to try them out in a .45 LC but I have a feeling they will be a bit too small.

Guest Mugster

Would you be interested in some .454 255gr swc's? I'd be willing to possibly trade you 500 or maybe 600-750 max of them for possibly a like number of the ones you are casting.

I like a pretty hard bullet for feed ramp abuse and I'd like lubed. The lube on the 255's is a little smokey, but they are both pretty hard and very accurate out of my ruger. They feed well in some self loaders, but not in my sig.

Brand is oregon trail lasercast, .45LC, SWC, marked .452 on the box....i get right at .453 to .4532ish on my caliper with pretty good pressure. Just a wee big around for a self loader with a tight chamber. You want to try a keith bullet, this is about as close as I've found.

Also, I'm def keeping this partial box...so i only got 500 i'd trade.

Edited by Mugster
size & brand
Guest Mugster

Well, I was hoping for a smaller bullet when I ordered. These are marked .452, but like I said, they tape out about .453ish. They could def use a size die for my barrels. I think they'd run fine in a .454 barrel. I do run them through a lee FCD, which i suspect does some amount of resizing.

They shoot very accurately out of my 1911's and the ruger using a .45acp conversion cylinder. I load em long for that. Some leading, but not much.

My problem remains, that I can either get them to chamber and not feed or feed and not chamber in the self loaders. I suspect I have pretty tight chambers on the pistols.

Guest Mugster

Which btw, i'm using accurate #5 and do have load data for 255. I settled on a clock of 850 out of the 911 as being prudent and a clock of about 900 out of the ruger. The good news is you can load them all the way down to 700 and retain accuracy. And watch the bullet float downrange, which is pretty cool.

Guest Grout
My problem remains, that I can either get them to chamber and not feed or feed and not chamber in the self loaders. I suspect I have pretty tight chambers on the pistols.

Which pistols of yours has a tight chamber? Reason I ask is my Springfield 1911 is tight.It will not work with lead or poly/moly coated round nose bullets.That is even after going through the Lee FCD.

Guest Astra900

I had a similar problem with my XD 45. I solved it by reducing my load to 10% UNDER minimum, and seating the bullet deeper. Then I slowly worked it back up to where I wanted it. In the end I was using slightly less powder because of the decreased volume and increased pressure, and I haven't had any problems again. I have noticed OAL w/ some of my cast loads in 9mm and .45acp play a very decisive role in reliable cycling. I have also noticed my OAL is usually a little less than listed.

Guest Mugster
Which pistols of yours has a tight chamber? Reason I ask is my Springfield 1911 is tight.It will not work with lead or poly/moly coated round nose bullets.That is even after going through the Lee FCD.

The tightest seems to be the sigarms XO 1911. Although it works sorta fair with 200gr swc's that are cast, and by that I mean pretty hard. I won't use pure lead bullets. By fair I mean about a 1 in 60 won't feed or chamber.

I had real good luck with ranier 200gr swc's that are plated. I only tried 250 of them, but they ran like champs and shot straight. Might be worth a try.

I'm more interested in the heavy bullets for hunting. And that's where I start running into problems with .45 acp. Best I've done in the 255 weight is about a 1 in 25 or 30 FF or fail to chamber.

Back when metal was high, laser cast had a 1/2 price sale around about xmas, so I stocked up like an animal in .452 and .429. Glad I did now.

Guest Mugster
I had a similar problem with my XD 45. I solved it by reducing my load to 10% UNDER minimum, and seating the bullet deeper. Then I slowly worked it back up to where I wanted it. In the end I was using slightly less powder because of the decreased volume and increased pressure, and I haven't had any problems again. I have noticed OAL w/ some of my cast loads in 9mm and .45acp play a very decisive role in reliable cycling. I have also noticed my OAL is usually a little less than listed.

I've tried alot of things. I backed the bullet in until i was getting the side of the case jamming into the roof of the barrel or chamber. Then I run it out until that goes away and I get the slide going almost into battery. The optimal point, I get a 50/50 mix of failure to go fully into battery or the case hanging on the roof of the barrel/chamber.

Got any other suggestions? I've tinkered with the charge some. Probably could use some more tinkering that way.

Guest Mugster
Unless you are using a muzzle loader NOONE should be using pure lead bullets!

I guess I should have said swaged. I don't know how soft speer's bullets are on the brinnel (sp?) scale, but they are too soft for a self loader, imo. But I have no problem loading them for a wheel gun.