Gun control Persuasive speech

Guest pbrollin

Guest pbrollin

hey, im new to the forums and im hoping yall could help me out. Im giving a speech trying to persuade my class at mtsu to get their carrying permit for safty. Anyone have any ideas on a way i could go about it?

thanks, Cory

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help you on that, others can probably do better, but...

Seriously, not to scare you off from doing it, but I'd have a 1st Amendment attorney on retainer before doing so. There is a story in the news a few weeks ago of another young man who wrote a paper or gave a speech on guns and the 'professor' reported the kid to college security and they made a big deal about it all saying that he was 'threatening' and 'scaring' people by his report. B.S.

I'm all for you doing it, just make some preparations in advance in case they try to make you look like a psycho gun lover nut case.

In addition to presenting a compelling reason for getting a HCP, I would research and be prepared to address the "having a gun in the house makes you xx% more likely to be shot" and "x people die per year due to handguns" type arguements.

You need to address the touchy-feely bias against guns with facts. Use hard, verifiable facts to support your case. Do not use emotional arguements or opinions in your presentation.

Guest kcnative

Look up two authors: John Lott and Gary Kleck. If you want to, send me a private msg with your email addy...I'll forward you a nice article about Kleck from FSU's alumni mag someone just forwarded to me. It speaks to your odds of harm if you are attacked and have/do not have a gun and other info.

I also gave a speech arguing against the banning of guns back when I was in college...I may still have that on a computer somewhere if you're interested in that as well.

I agree with the others...use statistical data to back up your opinion...it will go over a lot better.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

One piece of resistance that you are going to get hit with are the statistic from police chiefs around the country. If at all possible, get some input from cops on the street to combat that. Most cops that are working a beat have a real understanding of the need for citizens to be able to defend themselves - as opposed to police chiefs are are elected and are just trying to keep their jobs by babbling on about 'public safety' etc...

Guest JHatmaker

Here's the story on that student who got hassled. Just be smart about your presentation, and state solid facts. Obviously you can use situations like Virginia Tech, but the problem with that is that no guns are allowed on campuses. You could basically have two arguments: 1) Get a carry permit, and 2) get rid of the law against guns on college campuses so students can be protected. Places where guns are banned are the first places where an armed gunman crazy person is going to go, knowing few, if any, people will be armed there.

Professor Called Police After Student Presentation | The Recorder

Guest Guitarsnguns

Here is a video link with some good points in support of your speech. Gun Control Myths I have to do one of those speeches this Tues. at NSCC. but I'm approaching gun control at an angle as a sub-topic in a speech concerning disinformation in communication and the media. Good luck!

BTW, my speech communication prof. unlike many academics, is a carry permit holder and red as can be. Not that it would stop me from speaking my mind if things were different. (See Ammendment 1, U.S. Constitution)

Also, I read the link posted about the student who was hasseled. Kinda makes me want to sell all of my registered weapons. That's preposterous!

Edited by Guitarsnguns
Addendum
Guest justme
hey, im new to the forums and im hoping yall could help me out. Im giving a speech trying to persuade my class at mtsu to get their carrying permit for safty. Anyone have any ideas on a way i could go about it?

thanks, Cory

Welcome,

Contact the Virginia Citizens Defense League, and the Tennessee Firearms Association...they should be able to provide you with all of the facts you need.

You will most likely encounter a LOT of personal bias against guns-as others have already said, and most of it will be because of people who listen to the Brady center as if it was the gospel, while at the same time those very anti-gun people at the Brady center and other anti-gun groups all hide behind people with guns while advocating for gun control...so those same anti-gun people are two faced...that is just something to remember...

Point out that criminals tend to choose people who can't, or don't have the means to fight back...Virginia Tech, Luby's restaurant, and there are others. Point out that cities with the toughest gun control tend to have the highest crime rates--Washington D.C, Chicago, New York and others...

Have facts to go along with what you say.

And as someone else has already said--have a good lawyer on retainer because you may end up getting turned in to the police as a possible terrorist or other criminal...just take a careful look at Professor Called Police After Student Presentation | The Recorder

Now all of this is my opinion, but IF you do get a call from the police as a result of your speech, wanting you to come down and talk to them--take your lawyer with you and let him/her do the talking, and you might want to remember a few things...you do not have to answer any questions, and don't let them intimidate you, or if they come up to you somewhere on campus and begin asking you questions about the speech, etc, and you get the feeling that you are not free to simply discontinue the contact and go on about your business, simply ask "am I being detained" and if they say yes-your next words might want to be "I want to call my lawyer", and remember also--and carry a good digital recorder with you to record any possible contact for your safety and have it recording, they might tell you that you can't do that, but Tennessee is a single party consent state as far as I know, which means that as long as you are in public, and you not trying to record a telephone call and you consent to having yourself recorded, you should be fine--but you could check on that to just make sure, and again, all of that is just my opinion.

bottom line--have a good lawyer at the ready with the number programmed into your cell phone, because you may need one when you get done with your speech.

Good luck with what you want to do--and I wish you great success.

Edited by justme
Guest kcnative

Well don't freak the guy out...it's not like stuff like that happens all of the time. It makes the news because it DOESN'T happen very often.

Odds are, at worst he'll have someone (possibly the teacher) passionately disputing his points in the Q&A after the speech.

Guest justme
Well don't freak the guy out...it's not like stuff like that happens all of the time. It makes the news because it DOESN'T happen very often.

Odds are, at worst he'll have someone (possibly the teacher) passionately disputing his points in the Q&A after the speech.

sorry--didn't mean to try and scare him...just thought he might want to think about the other bases that someone else might not think of.