Marlin 60 magazine tube

Guest lindadobe

Guest lindadobe

I cannot get the tube open. I just bought the gun at a pawn shop. Its a Marlin 60 with a squirrel on it 22 rifle. Can you help?

thanks,

Linda

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the squirrel on the stock, it's an older Glenfield Model 60. Same exact gun, just some trivial information to go along with it. :D

When you say the tube won't open, do you mean the end cap won't turn, or it won't slide out? If it won't turn, check the outer portion of the tube. There's a little nub on the inner portion that goes into a slot on the outer section. If the slot gets bent a little, it can hang that nub and lock it in place.

If it won't slide out, try this. Open the bolt and lock it back. Looking down in the chamber, you'll see a little red plastic plunger that sticks out of the magazine tube. Check to see if it's hanging up on the feed ramp. My model 60 does that a lot. Take a flat screwdriver and push the end of the red plunger toward the rear of the stock, then down. Turn the tube and slide it out while holding the plunger down, so it doesn't try to hang up again.

Welcome to TGO, too!

Linda, congratulations on the purchase of a fantastic little rifle. The advice 56 gave you is spot on. And because of that little stud on the rod, you need to make sure that you push the rod down before trying to turn it to pull it out, as well.

can't add anything to 56's post that would be worthwhile.

But then why should this post be any different than all the other ones I make. :D

I have a model 60 and it was my first firearm. I have never had the trouble you describe.

Guest lindadobe

Any other info about it you could share? I found out the problem. Someone had twisted it the wrong way and had it stuck.

About how old could it be? The red thing you were talking abouth is yellow on this particular gun. Thank you very much for the responses.

can you post a good pic of it?

I would love to see the stock and the squirrel. Mine is a Marlin but I have no rodent on mine.

Does it have a metal or plastic trigger guard?

Any idea of the year it was made?

On Marlin-branded Model 60 rifles, the first two digits of the serial number indicate the year of manufacture. For example, if the serial number starts with 18... The 18 is significant, because subtracting it from 2000 gives the date of manufacture for the rifle, 1982. Likewise, a serial number starting with 17 would be a rifle manufactured in 1983.

This method has not been uniformly followed. It is valid only from 1971 through 1999. Prior to 1971, the first two digits indicated the year of manufacture. For example, a rifle with a serial number starting with 70... would have been made in 1970. Starting in 2000, this same old method has returned; the first two digits once more indicate the year of manufacture directly, with no subtraction required.

Edited by Good_Steward
added info
72 are the first two numbers

1928????

It was made in 1972 I think 72 was the change over year, some your marked as 72 and others was marked as 28. The Marlin or Glenfield model 60 started production in 1960 and continues today.

Guest lindadobe

Thank you. I cleaned it and hope to fire it after work today. Or tomorrow. I didnt think it would be that old actually. What ammo is best in it?

my model 60 feeds most anything reliably, my round of preference is Federal Champion. It is a 40 grain lead bullit. Comes in a brick of ten 50 round boxes.

I would not use mini mags in it. Waste of money just for targets or cans.

I have run most every kind of .22 through mine over the years, none stood out as a problem.