Possible bill for next session?

Guest cowboy20th

Guest cowboy20th

Hello everyone. I was wondering what we could do about possibly allowing HCP holders who are students, being able to carry or at least store the firearm securely in a vehicle while on a state university campus.

I am a student at mtsu and drive from Nashville two days a week. I have to pass through some bad parts of town and have never had a problem, but having my firearm in the car while traveling back and forth from school would be nice. As of now I do not have my permit, but will soon and would like to see what we could do about repealing the laws that make it impossible for me to travel to school with my weapon.

It would of course be nice to carry while on campus, but my main concern is traveling between school and home as I have never felt in danger at my school. Although we did have alot of stuff happen on campus last year, and someone is always getting mugged around campus too.

The student government association tried to petition the board of regents in october of 07 which failed quickly due to lack of support and I assume pressure from some of the officials around campus.

I hope this is all ok to post here, if not mods please handle as needed.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ravendove

I'm right there with you. A professional's schooling is never finished. I'd be interested to see what responses you get here and I'll get behind whatever effort gets started. In fact, I think I'll go ahead and write my esteemed legislators today.

Guest cowboy20th

I agree, I would think it has a slim chance. But, our best chance of getting this legislation I believe is through this association.

As I said before the student government association of MTSU tried to get the issue considered, but the SGA is very limited in what they can do and have no pull at the state level. All they can really do is settle student disputes and petition the institution on tuition and class issues.

I would like to hear from some of the activists on the board as to how to proceed with this legislation, which legislators could help us, and how to get the bill introduced at least.

I believe we can get support from people on campus as well as this association to help push our representatives to consider such legislation. I will go ahead and thank everyone for their support and help with this issue, and will ask for everyone on this board who supports such an idea to voice their opinion as well.

I maybe mistaken but I believe such a bill is sitting in committee h*ll right now. If so, finding the sponsor and working to push that bill through would be easier than getting a new bill introduced.

I agree, I would think it has a slim chance. But, our best chance of getting this legislation I believe is through this association.

As I said before the student government association of MTSU tried to get the issue considered, but the SGA is very limited in what they can do and have no pull at the state level. All they can really do is settle student disputes and petition the institution on tuition and class issues.

I would like to hear from some of the activists on the board as to how to proceed with this legislation, which legislators could help us, and how to get the bill introduced at least.

I believe we can get support from people on campus as well as this association to help push our representatives to consider such legislation. I will go ahead and thank everyone for their support and help with this issue, and will ask for everyone on this board who supports such an idea to voice their opinion as well.

Guest cowboy20th

I believe the bill that is sitting right now only applies to non students at a public university, the wording is unclear as to if students could carry or not. maybe we should try getting the wording redone, does anyone know which bill this is and who to contact?

That bill is pending now and similar versions have been pending in years past.

The issue on that particular topic is lack of support. I can go up there all I am able to and talk to them about it but if they are not getting phone calls, personal face to face meeting with constituents, emails, etc., on this specific issue they are going to ignore it because they know it will be misrepresented by the news media.

Its the same issue with most of the firearms related legislation, as well as other topics that I work on such as hunting, OHV, civil rights, restorations, and minimizing the excessive scope of most criminal legislation that has anything to do with firearms (e.g., this year's order of protection law). Too few gun owners are involved and of those that are too few really understand the issues.

For example, the parks issue moved quickly and the "opt in" because an "opt out" almost overnight. There was very little constituent involvement in that issue. Where we however lost traction is that the original opt out required a 2/3 vote and a couple of REPUBLICAN senators who happen to represent local governments wanted that reduced to 1/2. Again, almost no response from gun owners until it was too late.

Guest cowboy20th

this is all good information to know. I will support this to my fullest as well as all my family and friends will. Possibly even drum up some support from students on campus, and possibly some of the instructors.