Hendersonville- Safety Council Votes to Opt Out

I attended the safety council meeting tonight in Hendersonville. I was very disappointed. In typical politician fashion, they voted unamimously to OPT OUT of the carry in parks law.

Prior to the vote, I heard a [sarcasm] robust [/sarcasm] discussion on the resolution. Here are some of the highlights"

1- the gentleman running the meeting asked the Hendersonville Police chief if he was able to secure the statistics in crimes in our parks. His response- "no". He did offer statistics off the top of his head- "no, homicides, no forcible rape, kidknappings, no vehicle theft, but we have had some vehicle breakins, etc, etc." No real threat. He did offer that he once arrested a guy for shooting at geese.

2-The discussion moved to potential liability for the city. They talked briefly about a case pending with Walmart, where they knew of a threat, and failed to adequately provide safety to their customers. This case was referenced at $80mil. Some lawyer then spoke up and said the maximum liability to the city would fall between $355-500k.

3- It moved to talking about parks currently being posted, so nothing would really change for permit holders. "Parks have been safe since Hendersonville became a city back in 1969ish (not sure if that was the exact year he referenced)", stated by the police chief and backed up by some older gentleman. I believe he was a city lawyer.

4- Another councilman stated he was a baseball or football (dont recall the sport) coach. He said , "I support the 2A, but I see how mad these parents get at games. I would hate to have them packing heat."

5- The last theme that came up basically justified their desicions based on all the surrounding city's posting in their parks. "Murfreesburo, Clarksville, etc, so should we. There was other chatter in the room over this topic, but it was clear these people cared more about costs to the city, and continuing the staus quo.

There was another council meeting related to carry in parks tonight, but it was concluded before the safety council finished. They voted unanimously to OPT OUT. This will now come up at the next council meeting with the recommendation to OPT OUT.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic