Identify this old Reloading press!

Hey gang - I have just started researching reloading and it looks like a fun hobby so I'm going to give it a shot. Been reading handloads.com a good bit and some other links. Probably get a good book to read soon.

I found this press tucked away in my Dad's garage.. I pulled it out to take a look closer. He said he acquired it from an old friend who was moving out west and wanted to get rid of it and a bunch of other tools. It looks to be setup for Shotgun.. I would really like to begin reloading in .45 ACP and .38 but I have no idea if this is a good tool or would even work for my purposes. It looks like it has some surface rust on it.. I hope this can be put back in good working order if it will suit my needs.. its a heavy bugger! But the handle goes up and down and everything moves smoothly..

It says DL-366 with the make being Pacific. Google tells me that its made by Pacific Tool Company, which later became Hornady, but that's about all I know.

Hopefully some of you Reloading pros can tell me a little more about this piece of equipment and whether this will work for me or not.

press2.jpg

press1z.jpg

press3.jpg

Do I have a nice reloading tool or a giant paperweight?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest glock308

yes thats a progressive shotgun press looks like 20 or 12 can't really tell from pictures and yes its old

no hope of loading pistol

buy a lee turret press cheap and effective

Thanks for the tips guys - you all are correct (as I know you would be)

I found more info it on the Hornady website. Wow $600? Hopefully I can sell it and make a lateral move into a nice autoloading setup for .45acp, .38, and maybe 9mm,

What does the best setup for that cost with the dies an everything? any models you can recommend? Is the "lee turret press" high quality? What about Dillon orRCBS?

The Lee turret press is a compromise between a single stage press and a progressive. I don't have exact figures in front of me, but my entire reloading setup, with the Lee turret starter kit, a tumbler, etc cost about 200- 250 bucks.

I've had a couple of issues with my press, but mine is the only one I've ever heard of that has had problems. Maybe I just got a lemon? In any case, I'd still recommend them to start out on. That way, if you decide that reloading isn't for you, you're only out a couple of hundred bucks and can probably get your money back.

Granted, if you have the money and desire to go big right out of the gate, Dillon makes a couple of great progressive presses. I'm looking at possibly moving up to one soon.

The nice thing about the turret press is that you can change calibers very easily. Just buy a turret for each caliber you want to load (about $10.00), and once you set your dies up, you can just swap out the turret assembly.

I see you're in Nashville, I'm just north of you outside Gallatin. If you want to find some components, you're welcome to come up and load some on my turret press. I have dies to load all three of the pistol calibers you mentioned.

Guest smittyb

I second was was said about the turret press. If you just wanna find out if reloading is for you or not, you can't go wong with the Rock Chucker.

Yep, Okey's good people. :(

You can say that again! I stopped by the "Okey Corral" today and all I can say is that Okey is the best! Took the time off his lunch break to show me and Pops the ins and outs of reloading. He has quite a nice setup and couldn't be more accommodating. If the rest of you TGO dudes are as nice and knowledgeable as he is - I'm in good company on this forum.

Thanks again Okey!

If the rest of you TGO dudes are as nice and knowledgeable as he is - I'm in good company on this forum.

Thanks again Okey!

Man you need to get around more!!;) I have to work with him every day

Na just kiddin. Sorry I missed you I had to make a different run this lunch break, otherwise I would have come along.

Man you need to get around more!!:D I have to work with him every day

Na just kiddin. Sorry I missed you I had to make a different run this lunch break, otherwise I would have come along.

hah! cut me some slack - Ive only been on the forum for 3 weeks!

sorry I missed you, but man... he was sure talking bad about you! :biglol:

Guest HexHead
The Lee turret press is a compromise between a single stage press and a progressive. I don't have exact figures in front of me, but my entire reloading setup, with the Lee turret starter kit, a tumbler, etc cost about 200- 250 bucks.

I've had a couple of issues with my press, but mine is the only one I've ever heard of that has had problems. Maybe I just got a lemon? In any case, I'd still recommend them to start out on. That way, if you decide that reloading isn't for you, you're only out a couple of hundred bucks and can probably get your money back.

Granted, if you have the money and desire to go big right out of the gate, Dillon makes a couple of great progressive presses. I'm looking at possibly moving up to one soon.

The nice thing about the turret press is that you can change calibers very easily. Just buy a turret for each caliber you want to load (about $10.00), and once you set your dies up, you can just swap out the turret assembly.

I see you're in Nashville, I'm just north of you outside Gallatin. If you want to find some components, you're welcome to come up and load some on my turret press. I have dies to load all three of the pistol calibers you mentioned.

I've been looking around at reloading gear myself. A friend who's really knowledgeable on the subject has warned me off Lee presses, so you may not be the exception. Perhaps it's because they are made of cast aluminum?

I like the turret press concept for the reasons you mentioned, but in a single stage press, the Hornady Lock n Load press uses bayonet mounts for the dies. Once you get them set up, they just snap in/out the press just like the Lee turret does.