Arrest warrants issued for ACORN workers in Florida.

Guest justme

ACORN Turns in Florida Workers on Voter Fraud Charges - Political News - FOXNews.com

Arrest warrants have been issued in Miami for 11 people suspected of falsifying information on hundreds of voter registration cards -- including registering the name of the late actor Paul Newman -- the Florida state attorney's office told FOXNews.com. The FBI and state authorities took six people into custody Wednesday as it issued 11 arrest warrants for voter registration fraud in Homestead, Fla., in June 2008.

"Names were filled out on the registration forms that were not actual voters," said Ed Griffith, a spokesperson for the state attorney's office. Griffith said the names included people who were already registered voters, fictitious names, and the name of the late actor Paul Newman, who died in Sept. 2008.

Griffith said the workers being sought were hired to register voters by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN. He said ACORN alerted the state attorney's office after it reviewed hundreds of voter registration cards it suspected were fraudulent. Griffith said that none of the names in question actually voted.

In a statement sent to FOXNews.com. on Wednesday, Florida ACORN board member Leroy Bell said, "We want to commend the state attorney for taking decisive action. Today's action demonstrates the seriousness we brought to the task of not only expanding the electorate, but also of protecting the integrity of the voting process. "

"Over the last five years thousands of dedicated people have worked or volunteered with Florida ACORN and succeeded in helping hundreds of thousands of Florida citizens -- especially African-Americans, Latinos, low-income and young people -- to apply to become registered voters. Fortunately, our quality control managers and the systems we developed ensured their ability to spot the isolated wrongdoing by these 11 workers who tried to pass off phony forms instead of doing their work," he said.

Bell added that the government should do more to modernize the voter registration system, saying ACORN would "prefer that Florida and the United States adopt a more modern voter registration system where getting everyone on the rolls is the government's job and mission."

ACORN's activities were frequently questioned during the 2008 presidential election. The group, which claims to be a non-partisan grassroots community organization of low- and moderate-income people, came under fire in 2007 when Washington State filed felony charges against several paid ACORN employees and supervisors for more than 1,700 fraudulent voter registrations. In March 2008, an ACORN worker in Pennsylvania was sentenced for making 29 phony voter registration forms.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell added that the government should do more to modernize the voter registration system, saying ACORN would "prefer that Florida and the United States adopt a more modern voter registration system where getting everyone on the rolls is the government's job and mission."

:D If person wants to vote shouldn't it be that PERSON'S responsibility to get themselves registered?

Guest HexHead
:D If person wants to vote shouldn't it be that PERSON'S responsibility to get themselves registered?

One would think so. If you're too stupid to figure out how to do that, you probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

But voting doesn't entail even knowing what the issues are any more. One word catch phrases like HOPE or CHANGE are all some "voters" :dirty: need.

Guest FroggyOne2
...speaking of racism...

I don't think a lot of those votes were over the words Hope and Change according five bajillion youtube videos and blogs.

No.. it was for "gas in the tank" and "morgage payments"!

One would think so. If you're too stupid to figure out how to do that, you probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

But voting doesn't entail even knowing what the issues are any more. One word catch phrases like HOPE or CHANGE are all some "voters" ;) need.

To be fair, there are lots of people with limited mobility, etc. who can't get to the polling place easily, and therefore need assistance registering and voting. Not to excuse these fart sniffers; just sayin'.

Guest Ghostrider
To be fair, there are lots of people with limited mobility, etc. who can't get to the polling place easily, and therefore need assistance registering and voting. Not to excuse these fart sniffers; just sayin'.

I agree, but those infirm need a line to call so they can have a "bonafide" registration person come by and help them so that no influence on the vote itself is exerted. I'd rather spend tax dollars for that than for welfare, abortion, OR PAYING ACORN TO DO THE NEXT CENSUS!!!

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am pissed...

But voting doesn't entail even knowing what the issues are any more. One word catch phrases like HOPE or CHANGE are all some "voters" :D need.

+1 (especially on the being too dumb to register to vote). But, I remember voting in November and people showing up and being turned away, because (wait for it) they had not registered.

Reckon those TV ads, newspaper ads, radio ads, etc, encouraging folks to participate in the process just weren't enough. However, I have to give the folks a pass (it took me about three minutes) as I did have to anwer some tough questions - was I a resident and was that my real name and related - you know, REAL brain twisters.:D

No.. it was for "gas in the tank" and "morgage payments"!

I keep waiting for my stimulus...dumb me, I keep paying my mortgage (yep, I am just another middle class fool, paying the bills and living within my means - actually below it, cause I am risk averse).

ACORN Turns in Florida Workers on Voter Fraud Charges - Political News - FOXNews.com

"Over the last five years thousands of dedicated people have worked or volunteered with Florida ACORN and succeeded in helping hundreds of thousands of Florida citizens -- especially African-Americans, Latinos, low-income and young people -- to apply to become registered voters."

HMMM....who was left out ???????????????????????????

You are right (damned you, man, how we get up a good rant with you trying to act like a human?:cool:) But, I think we could find a better way to help than Acorn.

Maybe next election, TGO can set up a volunteer pool to help any of our neighbors who need a ride, etc (and I am not making a joke).

But, on the topic of Acorn, I thought it was rich how one of their first responses was the tapes were taken out of context (or words to that effect). I watched a variety of outtakes and did not see where anything was out of context - pretty clear what the Acorn person was telling the folks.

Guest Muttling

This aspect of our system is SOOOOO screwed up it's scary.

We've got people like Acorn playing get out the vote with the poor and pushing their candidates while they do it. (In this case, it would seem illegally doing so.)

We've got people like Jeb Bush and Florida police setting up check points to intimidate voters who are not likely to vote the way they want.

We've got BOTH parties doing their get out the vote campains which are often based on lies and fear mongering.

What we don't have is a well funded but nuetral organization who's sole interest is improving voter turn out. The groups that are most effective at improving voter turn out are biased and only want to improve turn out that supports their agenda. Many make intentional efforts to reduce the turn out of non-supporting voters.

How screwed up can you get? What happened to simply pushing people HARD to do their civic duty and cast a ballot....even IF you disagree with how they vote?

Guest Muttling
There is no such thing as a neutral organization or neutral politician...over time. Just my opinion.

And not at all a bad observation.

I just think we can do FAR better than what we have now. Can't we fund some sort of operation with VERY harsh restrictions/oversight who's only purpose is to get people to polling places and back home?

Let Dems, Repubs, NAACP, ACLU, etc. watch them and tell the people that "You can only offer to get them to the polling place."

Honestly, I think it should come from the Federal or State government itself. We need a get out the vote campain instead of a "get out MY vote" campain.

Guest clownsdd

Fair has nothing to do with it, I am handicapped, hearing and walking. Just sayin', it is no one's responsibility but mine to get where I need to go. No one owe's me nuthin and I don't owe no one nuthin. I get to the voting booth just fine. JMHO.