Help/Questions on 1911 Build

PC7

I'm looking for some info and suggestions on a 1911 build I'm planning. I know a little info on 1911's but we have some very knowledgeable 1911 folks here. I've never really considered myself a 1911 guy. However, I considered buying a Brown, Wilson, or Nighthawk. After looking at them, I bought a HK Mark 23 instead; HK's are my first and true love.

Well, I've always wanted a Colt Delta Elite 10mm since the 80's and now Colt has brought them back. So I had the idea of buying one at Guns and Leather and having Jeff Walle clean it up and replace a few parts. The parts I was looking at replacing are the grip safety (Ed Brown), sear and hammer (Brown), sear spring (Brown), Trigger (Nighthawk), grips (Nighthawk), sights, thumb safety, and barrel bushing. I don't want to replace the barrel, but what other parts would you guys recommend replacing? Also, I know Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Les Baer, and Wilson make the best 1911's. How do they compare to one another when it comes to parts? Are they all of equal high quality or is one better than the other? And does one make, say a better hammer than the rest while a another makes a better trigger?

I've figured parts will cost about $200 to $300. What do you think labor will cost to install the parts and clean things up in the pistol? What else needs to be done besides polish the feed ramp and tune things up? I would call to ask Jeff Walle and Guns & Leather but I don't want to waste their valuable time as I'm in Afghanistan for about another 3 months, so it will be until then before I can start it. Also, I don't plan to use it as a CCW or in competition, it will be a range toy and maybe see limited duty on the nightstand. What can I expect performance wise compared to 1911's such as a Brown, Baer, or a Nighthawk?

Well, I think that covers it, sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help and/or info.

Edited by PC7
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

First off, thanks for your service.

Regarding your 1911 project, I think you're on the right track. There's nothing like having a 1911 personalized to your tastes. You'll enjoy it much more than just buying one already built (even though there are great off the shelf 1911s).

Another 10mm option to consider, unless you've made your mind up on a Colt, are Dan Wesson 1911's. You can get into one of those for $1000 or less, and then have your work done on them. Using Ed Brown parts is obviously a good choice. Brown, Nighthawk, and Les Bear are all top notch builders, and if I had to give a nod to the best, I'd probably say Ed Brown makes the best stuff.

You may also want to look in Wilson Combat parts, not sure about the price comparison vs Ed Brown parts, but you might be able to save some money going with Wilson. They make good stuff too.

Performance wise, I've had experience with Nighthawks (own one), and they shoot so much better than other 1911's I have handled (mainly Kimber's, and Kimber makes great 1911s, so that shows how much nicer Nighthawks and Wilson's are). I imagine Ed Browns are a step up.

I've read and heard great things about Jeff, and think the earlier you start discussing your options the better.

Also, take a look at Hero-Gear's new line of custom 1911's. I had a chance to shoot and handle one recently, and was so impressed I put an order in for one. They are made in house by their dedicated 1911 smith. You might be able to just flat out build a custom 1911 for the cost of what you were wanting to do, or even come in less. If I'm not mistaken, they'll do a 10mm option. Take my word for it, they are awesome guns. You can pick out different color combos, grip options, etc.

Have fun with putting this together, and thanks again for your service, be safe and get home soon.

If you want a custom 1911, i'd go with the Hero Gear one, from what i've read and the parts they are using plus the price it seems like a very good deal. caspian frames and fusion slided( i'd have preffered if it was caspian as well) Colts were good, but have you looked at one lately?

I will give yet another nod to the Hero Gear in-house 1911's... they're very quality pieces, and handle quite well. I have not shot one, but was so impressed with the work, that I had Jeff do a ton of work on a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 that I had, brand-new-in-box, and never been shot... I would love to have a Hero Gear full custom one day.

From what I understood - think of a Hero Gear as a Nighthawk or Wilson, just a little less in the cost department... super-impressive gun.

I will give yet another nod to the Hero Gear in-house 1911's... they're very quality pieces, and handle quite well. I have not shot one, but was so impressed with the work, that I had Jeff do a ton of work on a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 that I had, brand-new-in-box, and never been shot... I would love to have a Hero Gear full custom one day.

From what I understood - think of a Hero Gear as a Nighthawk or Wilson, just a little less in the cost department... super-impressive gun.

I got to fondle your completed 1911 today.

VERY nice.... :lol:

Well, if I were to have anyone else fondle my goods, it's better off that it's someone with alot of firearms experience. No homo. :lol::D

I can't wait to get out there tomorrow morning and pick that thing up - I'm so excited. Thanks again, Joe, for steering me in the right direction with a 1911 that I'd be proud to have in my collection.