All the right stuff?

Guest jps37033

Guest jps37033

I have compiled some stuff in an Army rucksack that I thought would work in a bad situation. Am I missing stuff/have too much?

Stats = me, my wife, and 2.5 year old son

Rucksack

2 flashlights

2 packs extra batteries

6 bic lighters

2 man tent (very light and small)

10 packs tuna in foil bags

4 cans vegies (also for cooking juice)

4 MRE's

24 nutri grain bars

1 jar of Zatarans (gotta have some seasoning)!!!(makes nasties taste decent)

Old military can opener

tactical knife

mini hatchet

box of plastic sporks and knives

swiss army knife

4 pairs socks each

pack of each (diapers, women things, wipes, santizing wipes)

3 toothbrushes (make good shanks in need) lol

1 bar soap, 2 rags, toothpaste

1 bottle alchohol, peroxide, anti bacterial cream

box band aids

sewing kit

Walther P22 (250 rounds ammo) - coming soon

and a second regular backpack full of water, army canteen cup (good for boiling too), and water tablets.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jps37033

Already see after writing it down, I am missing a blanket. I could probably roll one up inside the tent on top the rucksack.

Also see we need a change of clothes.

Dang, I am slipping.

If this is anything more than a 1-2 day bag, I would suggest:

1. fire starter

2. water filter bottle (Bota or Katadyn would be great)

3. coffee filters (use them to pre-filter the water before putting it into the filter bottle)

4. duct tape (even if you use wrap some around the water bottle)

5. ziplock bags (many uses, including collecting water from shallow sources)

Also, I keep this book in my bugout bag:

Amazon.com: 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive (9781586852344): Cody Lundin, Russ Miller: Books

There's a more comprehensive list in the book.

Guest jps37033
If this is anything more than a 1-2 day bag, I would suggest:

1. fire starter

2. water filter bottle (Bota or Katadyn would be great)

3. coffee filters (use them to pre-filter the water before putting it into the filter bottle)

4. duct tape (even if you use wrap some around the water bottle)

5. ziplock bags (many uses, including collecting water from shallow sources)

Also, I keep this book in my bugout bag:

Amazon.com: 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive (9781586852344): Cody Lundin, Russ Miller: Books

There's a more comprehensive list in the book.

Dang, would order this book, but I have no credit cards. I have good credit ratings, but no way to buy online. Thanks

I'd read the book until you knew its contents by heart and use that space for water, beans, and/or bullets.

I like to keep a small book in my pack, it might help you remember something at your time of need and if all else fails you can burn pages you don't need.

Things that are great to have in any bag...

50ft 550lb test paracord

Duct tape maybe 20-25 feet rolled around a pen

First aid.

- Get a few field dressings from your local army surplus.

-anti crap medicine to

Water purification or bottle

I would ditch the plastic utensils and go with titanium spork. I use it all the time hunting and hiking. They are great but around 5-9 bucks depending on the brand.

At least 3 sources to start afire.

There are many things and its up to you.

Guest SUNTZU
I like to keep a small book in my pack, it might help you remember something at your time of need and if all else fails you can burn pages you don't need.

That's why I get out and practice cause I don't want to forget. I'd hate to be sitting out somewhere and reading a book that says, "Whatever you do, make sure you bring...." and be sitting there without it. I understand what you're saying about the reminders. Have you seen the survival cards? I still think that you should practice it...its only you and your families life, after all.

Go to the link below and look at the Brunton Survival Pocket Cards.

Misc Items from Survival Resources

I also like the cord lock lights. I'm ordering some to change out the locks that are on my jackets and bag.

Dang, would order this book, but I have no credit cards. I have good credit ratings, but no way to buy online. Thanks

I buy a lot of books from Amazon, but I actually found this book at my local Barnes & Noble. If you can get to one of the larger bookstores, most of them can order it for you.

I'd read the book until you knew its contents by heart and use that space for water, beans, and/or bullets.

Normally I would agree (particularly about practicing), but this particular book has a good number of "unusual" things in it that I simply would not try to remember but might be very useful. As for bullets and food, the book doesn't take up enough room to make much difference for those things. As for water, I don't carry very much. That's what the filter bottles, coffee filters, and plastic bags are for.

• 2 weeks later...