Metro could allow guns in isolated parks (The Waters Get Muddier)

Metro could allow guns in isolated parks

A Metro councilman wants guns allowed in rural parks, he says to protect isolated visitors who may be more prone to attack.

Sam Coleman of Antioch filed his proposal Monday. The council opted out of new state legislation allowing permit holders to bring their handguns into parks. The vote was a narrow 22-18, and some council members at the time said they wanted to exclude rural parks.

“I think when we decided the question on Aug. 18, there was some sentiment we should take a look to see if there were some rural or isolated parks that might be an exemption,†Coleman said. “They might be some dangerous spots for some (park-goers).â€

Not long after the vote, Coleman asked the Metro Parks Department to provide him with a list of rural or isolated parks and greenways. Coleman’s proposal exempts all nine parks on the department’s list: Alvin Beaman Park, Bells Bend Park, Cane Ridge Park, Couch Tract Greenway, Cecil Rhea Crawford Park, Hamilton Creek Park, the Morgan Road property, Peeler Park and Vulcano Tract greenway.

The list excluded parks attached to the county’s contiguous system of greenways, such as Seven Mile Creek, Shelby Bottoms and Whites Creek greenways.

East Nashville Councilman Erik Cole, who voted in favor of opting out of the new state law, said the issue deserved consideration, but he needed to see data indicating such exemptions were necessary.

“I’m still concerned about the residual impact of allowing more guns, even if they are completely legal and registered,†Cole said. “The presence of guns makes it more likely someone is going to get hurt, even with best intentions and even with the best of training.â€

The legislation is being studied by the Metro Department of Law in advance of next week’s Council meeting where it will be on first reading. The legislation appears to be valid, said Tom Cross, Metro Legal associate director.

Metro could allow guns in isolated parks | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone can sit their and with a straight face tell me this is a good law you need another hit off of your crack rock...

Our wonderfully inept elected state officials have written this law with the sole purposeful intent of creating such a jumbled mess of local level opt out, opt in provisions that no one has any idea if the park you are in is a carry park or an opted out park. To include the police!

More examples of just how messed up the gun laws are here in Tennessee...

Hi folks-

I haven't even read this article yet but here's a link -- I thought it would interest all of you...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091109/NEWS01/91109066/Metro+could+allow+guns+in+isolated+parks[/url]

shoot 'em straight!

Mike

Gunrat, Please post the content of the article since some of us have elected not to purchase or even read the Tennessean on line due to their biased views and consistent anti gun stance..........:popcorn:

Thanks

Dave

If anyone can sit their and with a straight face tell me this is a good law you need another hit off of your crack rock...

Our wonderfully inept elected state officials have written this law with the sole purposeful intent of creating such a jumbled mess of local level opt out, opt in provisions that no one has any idea if the park you are in is a carry park or an opted out park. To include the police!

More examples of just how messed up the gun laws are here in Tennessee...

I must say, I agree. It is indeed a freakin' mess.

Guest CrazyLincoln
East Nashville Councilman Erik Cole, who voted in favor of opting out of the new state law, said the issue deserved consideration, but he needed to see data indicating such exemptions were necessary.

“I’m still concerned about the residual impact of allowing more guns, even if they are completely legal and registered,” Cole said. “The presence of guns makes it more likely someone is going to get hurt, even with best intentions and even with the best of training.”

Yes, let's make laws on unfounded fears. I mean, better to outlaw what *might* happen, but doesn't statistically than actually look at the numbers. Let's pass an ordinance banning they Boogieman too, because he *might* actually exist! :)