Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40

Guest WTDeBerry

Guest WTDeBerry

For a SA M1A Scout Squad - would this be a quality scope for such a rifle? I know it is not one of the hight dollar Leupold's, but for anywhere from 100 out to 300 and possibly 400 yards would it be considered a good quality optic for the above mentioned rifle, as well as a bolt action such as the Savage 10FP or a Tikka T3 Tactical?

Thanks in Advance!!

WTDeBerry :confused:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one on a .17 bolt action,this gun and scope combo tack drives.I think it would work fine.Don't skimp on the mount and or rings,they are as important as the scope.

For the money the nikon buckmaster is hard to beat i have one on a bolt gun and it works great. It may be a little long for a scout i have been looking for a scope for my scout also but i think a more compact scope will work better. If your going to use the forward scope mount that comes with the scout it wount have enough eye relief to even look through it. You would have to use a reciver mount and in that case dont skimp get a good mount and rings on my super match i have a arms #18 and arms #22 quick detach rings they work great. I have been playing this scoped M1A game for awhile now so PM me if you need any other help. There are several other good mounts out there also.

The Nikon is a pretty good scope. Teh Team Primos by Nikon is the previous Monarch and is better. Might I suggest the Vortex Viper 3-9x40? They have a $50 rebate right now and will be night and day above the Nikon IMO. I agree with the possibility of needing a more compact scope on the rifle. If you are satisfied with the magnification, the Vortex, or Burris FFII, Bushnell 3200 or even 4200 if you find the right sale, or possibly Leupy VXII would be great as well. The Vortex probably has the best glass of any of these except maybe the 4200. $100 more gets you into the Leupold VX3, Zeiss Conquest and maybe the new Nikon Monarch (nice, but HEAVY). These are scopes that you will not be disappointed in.

I have also always been of the opinion to put a piece of glass on that is comparable in cost to the rifle. In this case, you would get into diminishing returns unless you are planning to shoot over the 3-400 yard mark or at dusk or dawn. All scopes look good at 12:00. However, if you can upgrade, I certainly recommend it.