Sources for lead, midTN?

Guest JTD

Howdy,

I recently started casting my own bullets (been reloading for several years, so it seemed time to complete the process). I've only just started scrounging for lead at the usual places--tire stores for wheel weights, junk yards for scrap, etc.

With lead prices these days it can get to the point where it's cheaper to buy commercial cast bullets than to cast your own. But I know there are still untapped pockets of lead out there somewhere....

Anybody know of ny good sources ('specially near Nashville)? PM me, if you want.

Thanks!

JD

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no untapped sources of lead anymore. Just keep checking with the tire stores. Keep a $20 in your pocket and ready to bribe an hourly worker for a couple of buckets of wheelweights. Most places claim they sell them back to a recycler.

There used to be a member on here that worked at a tire store, but he wouldn't share his with anyone else.

Good luck finding some.

Notice what it says under my screen name? B)

LOL!

I keep rackin' my brain--lead's used for all kinds of stuff, and I bet someplace or somebody's sitting on a pile of it. It doesn't seem like there'd be that many folks casting bullets and sinkers out there, but I guess there are...

Got any buddies that are former divers? Back when I was still on active duty, one of my Master Chiefs was a SEAL and he would pass along dive weights to me. Might be another avenue to look at.

Disclaimer- I never tested the hardness on them, I just smelted 'em and mixed it with wheel weights and never had a problem. Yes I was too cheap to buy my own harness tester, and still am.

Guest Jeremey

Too bad you guys aren't closer. I deal with wheel weights daily. But probably not enough to make boxing and shipping worth while.

Edited by Jeremey
I cant spell..
Guest canebreaker

The Reloader's Bench in Mt. Juliet has sticks of lead.

Short ones about 2 to 5 lbs. and long ones 24 to 27 lbs.

Not sure on their price. It looks like wheel weights.

They also have boxes of cast/lubed bullits, 500 seems like a good price.

I have a mixture of wheel weights, battery lugs, solder and spent bullits.

Cast in corncob muffin sticks. I use them to mold my .38spl. 120 gr. rn. and 158 gr. swc. The last I weighed, 30 sticks were 33 lbs. I also have 17 sticks of pure lead, flashing. I could let go of some for a fee. It's stored at my MS address, but could haul some to points along I-40, to my Nashville address.

Is lead still used for fishing weights?

Yep, and it's generally pretty pure. I just smelted a couple of pounds of weights and they didn't even need fluxing.

Thanks for the suggestion, Buck. I've been trying to find diving weights, too. Again, I think it's pretty pure. But the folks selling them (even old ones) usually know what lead is worth.

Well, at least I have a couple of bricks of primers! Things could be a lot worse! :rolleyes:

mast wheel weights have a very high zinc content now no good for bullets

try to find a small printer and get linotype if you can better bullets also you can cut it for a softer bullet. the last time i bought lead was at a scrap yard .if you know some one with an indoor range thats a good source as well but it will have to be mixed with some other alloy i cast alot