FNAR v. M1A?

Dobervol

Alright, after my team was butt-whipped by a team of castrated turkeys from Virginia last night, I'm thinking about guns today as a balm for the mind. Which one of these options (auto-loading .308 that can be had in the $1,500-ish range) do you prefer and why: M1A (Scout, Standard or Loaded--Super Match is waaaay too expensive for my blood), or FNH FNAR? Also, would the fact I'm a lefty and have small hands be relevant to choosing one and not the other? I know the FNAR comes w/all the rubber pieces to change the length of pull, stock angle, etc., but also wonder why it never quite took off and sold like FNH intended. And just for me personally, the history/heritage of the M1A doesn't matter for this purchase choice.

Also, I don't mind if someone has other alternatives to suggest, but I'm not looking for an auto-sniper like the DPMS SASS, Knight's, or the aforesaid Super Match, or an urban battle-rifle like the SOCOM, just what I would call a mid-priced, reasonably accurate, fun to shoot weapon. Thanks, guys.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt about it for me. I would get the M1A. There is nothing wrong with the FN, but its no M1A. You can get all kinds of aftermarket parts for them if you want to go that route. They are accurate enough and they just look badass. The only drawback is mounting a scope. You can do it, but the mounts are expensive. I would get a Loaded with the walnut stock and a Smith Enterprise mount. M14 Parts & Accessories: Smith Enterprise, Inc.

PTR-91's do really well. (G3/Hk91 platform)

Well priced, fun to shoot, lots of cool toys to add on.

M1A's are a bit inconsistent on accuracy. I fired 3 in one day, one was a tack driver, one was a decent 3 in grouper, the other I was lucky to hit the paper. The best and worst of bunch were from Springfield Armory.

I like the FNAR alot (short and sweet) but still looks a "vewy vewy cool wabbit" hunting gun. Not a combat arm. Give me a collapsible/folding stock and some forend options and you've got a winner.

Thanks.

PTR-91's do really well. (G3/Hk91 platform)

Well priced, fun to shoot, lots of cool toys to add on. Thanks; I'll investigate it further.

M1A's are a bit inconsistent on accuracy. I fired 3 in one day, one was a tack driver, one was a decent 3 in grouper, the other I was lucky to hit the paper. The best and worst of bunch were from Springfield Armory. I had heard as much from others, and that's what scares me most about it.

I like the FNAR alot (short and sweet) but still looks a "vewy vewy cool wabbit" hunting gun. Again, my thoughts exactly. Looks to my eye a bit too much like a sporting arm, despite the good reviews. Not a combat arm. Give me a collapsible/folding stock and some forend options and you've got a winner.

FYI, I sorted through the same conundrum. I absolutely love the m1a, but I hate the optics options. If you plan to scope the rifle, I'd suggest the FNAR. I ended up with a mini-30 and an FNAR for about the same $$ as an m1a. If you decide on th FNAR, look up Joe at Hero. His team set me up right on mine. :D

I meant my football team. As you'll note from handle, I'm a huge UT Vols fan, and the Virginia Tech Hokies (a neutered Tom turkey) stomped a mud puddle through our butts last night for a very unhappy new year; I was just venting, and when I'm depressed, nothing cheers me up faster than buying a new gun, or at least thinking about it. Tomorrow I'm planning to go shopping, although the Missus is threatening to go with me to curtail my spending. :D

That said, you must be hardcore, for that to be the first thing you thought of; in a competition, you might kick my butt if you were shooting an AK and I had a bolt 6.5 Creedmoor w/24" barrel. I AM planning on taking a high-powered rifle course this year, w/the intent of getting into competition, but I'll be using a bolt action setup for that. Right now, with the Obama/Holder/Bloomberg/Brady Bunch alliance still scheming and plotting, I'm buying a lot more of the type weapons they might ultimately seek to outlaw (well, that and they're just fun as heck to shoot).

What were the guys that kicked your azz using?

What kind of competition? (Does it have to be an auto loader?)

Guest oldsmobile98

A FAL clone is also a possibility.

DS Arms has a version of the Austrian STG58:

STG58 Austrian FAL-D S Arms

Or their SA58 series for more money:

SA58/FAL Rifles-D S Arms

--------

EDIT: Both the FNAR and M14/M1A have their operating handle on the right side. The FAL's operating handle is on the left.

Sorry, my fault.

Hope this helps.

Edited by oldsmobile98
my ignorance
Guest grimel

Saiga 308 under $600. Relatively LH friendly safety. Accurate enough for any hunting/plinking that "needs" to be done around here.

Get the 16" version if you want to play scout (or IMO have the handier rifle). It is next on my list (like list position matters when I find it).

I meant my football team.

Sorry for not understanding. :D

If the history of the M1A doesn’t appeal to you and you want a .308; you might want to take a look at the DPMS LR308-AP4 in .308.

Also, at 34 inches collapsed it doesn’t meet the 30†requirement you stated in your other thread, but it comes close.

Right now, with the Obama/Holder/Bloomberg/Brady Bunch alliance still scheming and plotting, I'm buying a lot more of the type weapons they might ultimately seek to outlaw (well, that and they're just fun as heck to shoot).

You mean like the PLR-16? :cool:

Great trunk gun by the way.

DPMSPLRweb001.jpg

Me likey the AK converted Saigas very much, but the basic ones do look similar to the FNAR and are much cheaper than either the converted Saiga or the FNAR. Ya'll are giving me a bunch to think about.

And I, too, have such a list. The "next" gun I'm gonna buy on my list often gets bypassed on that list when I go in the store and a gun much lower on my list is a much better deal. :D I always love a good deal, and after all, what gun, except a tiny but large cal. handgun, or an African side-by-side elephant gun, isn't fun to shoot as long as it's safely constructed and goes bang when you pull the trigger?

Saiga 308 under $600. . . . . It is next on my list (like list position matters when I find it).

As for the DPMS, I thought about it but (probably wrongly) dismissed it under the guise that "they [gunwriters] say" that the AR-10 is the only reliable AR-type .308 variant, and Armalite is a bit proud of them price wise, but I've never owned an DPMS or .308 AR variant, and for all I know, the DPMS could be a reliable, near tack driver. Your experience?

And I'm taking my own thread off topic, but I had only briefly considered a .223 pistol, thinking they were much too expensive for what you got in return, but when I ruled them out, I admit I completely forgot Kel-Tec made one. Looks much nicer than their SU-16 rifle, too, IMO, and cheaper to boot. If you just took a photo of your own, how do you like it (wt., controlability, reliability)?

You mean like the PLR-16? :D Great trunk gun by the way.

DPMSPLRweb001.jpg

I bought the DPMS for a short range SHTF .308 rifle. I haven’t shot it past 100 yards. It had a Leupold 3X9X40 VX-I on it at the time and shot good groups. Probably could get better but I was setting up the scope at the time.

I also have a Remington 700 VLS in .308 with a Leupold 6.5X20X40 LR VX-III that I shoot beyond that. That is a tack driver, but given the difference in actions and optics; that is a given.

I have heard guys brag about the DPMS at long range but I have not tried it.

As far as reliability I have never had a FTF or a problem with it.

I bought the PLR-16 prior to the law being passed allowing us (HCP) to carry rifles in the vehicle. It’s a go to weapon if something really bad was happening while on the road, or like you say, you just stop by the range for some fun.

I have only put maybe 100 rounds through it but I have had no problems. The hand guards and the muzzle break are required options. My God it is loud without that muzzle break.

Even though it is classified as a handgun; it’s a SBR without having to pay the tax. Would I strap it across my chest and go for a walk though Radnor Lake Park? Not hardly. :D

Guest grimel
And I'm taking my own thread off topic, but I had only briefly considered a .223 pistol, thinking they were much too expensive for what you got in return, but when I ruled them out, I admit I completely forgot Kel-Tec made one. Looks much nicer than their SU-16 rifle, too, IMO, and cheaper to boot. If you just took a photo of your own, how do you like it (wt., controlability, reliability)?

You could buy a Drake AK pistol (11.5ish inch barrel) and play with it until your NFA SBR paper work came through. Then you could install a sidefolder for the "ultimate" trunk gun. ;) Not that I'd try to make your life harder. :D

Yes, the Drake is "on my list" which at last check included just about everything, but, an elephant gun & O/U shotguns (given a good deal I'd buy an O/U though). ;)

Guest BigShot

My :D...

Love my FNAR!! Consistant groups 1" or less at 100. Getting extra mags was a pain at first but finally got them. Trigger a tad creepy BUT way better than most of the others it is compared too. Very comfortable to shoot.

All that said, I will always have an M1A of some kind in the house. You can beat'em but you can't kill'em. Never had a failure and they feel balanced. The Scout feels best of all that I owned over the years.

Comes down to what you gonna do with it... Long Range can killer or Extra Duty Home Defense? FNAR will outshoot the Scout any day of the week. Scout is better handling for quicker shots.

Get both!! :)

MVC-8512.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranger4321

Ive owned two different M14SA/M1A's. The first was a Federal Ordnance M14SA and it was a great weapon. i know that after the serial number 20500 they started using chinese parts on them. That was a reason why i got rid of it. The second one that i now currently own is a Springfield Armory M1A Loaded, it is a tack driver at 100 yards. Im talking about SUB MOA at that range and more than likely further if i could find a range past 100yrds. IMO get the M1A Loaded. you will not be dissappointed except for when it comes to buying a 20 rnd mag. $65 for a Springfield Armory mag.