S&W M&P headache...

Guest CK1

One million over 33 years = 83 times a day, not counting rounding error or leap years. ;)

- OS

I guess I had my head in my a$$. No wonder my wife wont let me do the check book!:up:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CK1 you have got a legitament complaint with Smith & Wesson for the broken part. I have owned several M&P's and have experienced the broken stiker issue also. Your best course of action would be to send the complete pistol into S&W for the repair, they will even send you a call tag if you ask. I can understand G&L not being willing to take the pistol in on trade with it being broken, considering you didn't buy the pistol from them. I have been doing business with G&L and especially Metalhead for years, you won't find a better store or staff.

Where do you get this crap?

DSCN0519.jpg

Cracked_breech2.jpg

Good enough for you?

( That's just from a Google search, btw. )

Steel fractures if you peck at it enough. If you don't believe me, go talk to any aviation engineer, and find out how often an airframe has to be checked for fractures due to nothing more than vibration.

J.

Edited by Jamie
CK1 you have got a legitament complaint with Smith & Wesson for the broken part. I have owned several M&P's and have experienced the broken stiker issue also. Your best course of action would be to send the complete pistol into S&W for the repair, they will even send you a call tag if you ask. I can understand G&L not being willing to take the pistol in on trade with it being broken, considering you didn't buy the pistol from them. I have been doing business with G&L and especially Metalhead for years, you won't find a better store or staff.

Why not do what was suggested before and either send it here (smith and wesson pays shipping both ways) to have it fixed or get the parts from him and fix it yourself?

LSG, Mfg|Gun Parts|Warranty|Gunsmithing

Frank Smith

10059 Highway 1476

Comanche, TX 76442

325-885-2700

franks@hughes.net

So, called S&W CS again today and this time a nice guy I hadn't spoken to before took my call... To my suprise, he seemed almost as peeved that I'm still waiting for a striker as I've been. He had me hold for a bit than got on the line and said he had both a striker assembly and an envelope in his hands and was going to make sure it got out to me... Not bad! He said while they have been out of them, they got some in on Monday and he had stashed away a private stash as he knew they'd get lost in the system, he said my info was in their computer system so I'd most likely get another or two when they got entered and left it that way as we both agreed having a spare or two might come in handy.

While I'm still annoyed with having to deal with the break then the wait, this gentlemen went a long way in restoring my confidence in S&W by being so helpful.

Oh, I told him that I was going to continue to dry fire so who knows might be hearing from me again and his reply was "dry fire away, that's why we've been redesigning the strikers...", I then said that while I know probably not the norm, in my personal opinion I thought snap caps were not such a good idea since learning to use them would be contrary to years of burned in muscle memory of only dry firing or training with an empty chamber in my case so I was going to treat the M&P exactly as I'd treat a Glock... He said "go ahead, it's meant to take it".

So looks like I'm going to give the M&P another chance for a while and see how it goes, with the trigger job and 13lb recoil spring it does shoot pretty amazingly easy, so we'll see...

(still might pick up a G17 with the ol' tax return just to be safe though...)

On another note, this showed up today, it's a Custom Carry Concepts Versaclip and I'd risk to say it's the best $20 IWB/Combo holster available on the planet, easy on and easy off with total security, Rich rules check 'em out! It's kydex, and every bit as good as my priceier Blade-Tech Nano IWB's.

a261e0fc.jpgca4acc1b.jpg

Edited by CK1
Congrats CK1, hopefully you'll be up and running again by the first of the week.:cool: On another note, did you do your own trigger job?

Thanks. Yeah, dis the trigger job myself following Dan Burwell's directions here:S&W M&P Trigger Job

It was really easy and made a world of difference... Mine breaks at about 4lbs and resets with a nice snap that's real close to a Glock reset that's way better than how it came, much less overtravel than stock too!

to finish up the saga...

Received a new striker from S&W on tues and happy to report that my gun is back up and running again.

I was sent the newly redesigned striker that is cast instead of MIM, silver in color as opposed to blackened, and now uses a single spring keeper instead of two to accomadate it's reinforced "spine".

I seriously doubt this one will break under dry-fire or anything else as it's really robust (I'd guess 5 times stronger than the old style). Also, the tang is J-shaped and seems to be creating a much stronger primer strike, doubt I'll ever have a problem with light strikes ever.

I wanted to give up on the M&P and go back to a Glock but after 300rds and approx 300+ dry-fires I can't... I tinkered with my Glocks for months into years trying every spring/polish/connector combo out there, none of them ever even came close to how good the trigger is on this M&P with my DIY trigger job and besides everything else I can shoot it twice as good with half as much effort as I ever could shoot a Glock.

If you're an M&P owner and may be weary of dry-firing it or worried about the striker breaking I suggest you get on the phone to S&W... You want the redesigned striker, even if it's for just in case.

The end. (hopefully:))

Edited by CK1
to finish up the saga...

Received a new striker from S&W on tues and happy to report that my gun is back up and running again.

I was sent the newly redesigned striker that is cast instead of MIM, silver in color as opposed to blackened, and now uses a single spring keeper instead of two to accomadate it's reinforced "spine".

I seriously doubt this one will break under dry-fire or anything else as it's really robust (I'd guess 5 times stronger than the old style). Also, the tang is J-shaped and seems to be creating a much stronger primer strike, doubt I'll ever have a problem with light strikes ever.

I wanted to give up on the M&P and go back to a Glock but after 300rds and approx 300+ dry-fires I can't... I tinkered with my Glocks for months into years trying every spring/polish/connector combo out there, none of them ever even came close to how good the trigger is on this M&P with my DIY trigger job and besides everything else I can shoot it twice as good with half as much effort as I ever could shoot a Glock.

If you're an M&P owner and may be weary of dry-firing it or worried about the striker breaking I suggest you get on the phone to S&W... You want the redesigned striker, even if it's for just in case.

The end. (hopefully:))

I called S&W, was told there was no "redesign" and that I would get the same striker as came in my gun. I really wanted to get a spare but couldget no help whatsoever. Guess I'll try again in a few days. Maybe I'll get someone else who is willing to help me.:screwy:

I called S&W, was told there was no "redesign" and that I would get the same striker as came in my gun. I really wanted to get a spare but couldget no help whatsoever. Guess I'll try again in a few days. Maybe I'll get someone else who is willing to help me.:screwy:

FWIW I finally got helped by a nice guy named "Larry" and when I asked if the one he was sending out to me was the newer redesigned type he said "yes sir" and knew exactly what I was talking about... Keep in mind, two days earlier when I called some ******* told me they were out of strikers for at least a month or longer and I got the impression he wouldn't know a pistol from a rock unless it was up his you know what...

Guess you can tell I didn't think he was quite as good at customer support as Larry... :)

Edited by CK1