mac 90

my82cam

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I wrote this awhile back and sent it to a fellow as a PM. This was regarding a Maadi but all the same applies to the MAK-90 or any post 89-ban imported AK style rifle that accepted standard double stack AK magazines.

I just know about semi-auto AK style rifles in general and the Maadi is among the most under-rated of them all.

Lets go over the legal aspect first of 922r. Assuming 922r is applicable to the firearm itself and not just an importer/distributor you must have only so much imported content on a rifle that is not for sporting use. At the time of importation of the Maadi it was deemed with the thumb-hole stock, no threaded muzzle, and no bayonet lug the Maadi would meet this definition. When you change out the stock to a pistol grip style the rifle would not meet the sporting definition and would thus be subject to 922r.

922r had a list of 20 parts, and no more than 10 parts could be imported. The AK design has 16 parts that "could" be applied

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Trunnions

4. Muzzle Attachments

5. Bolts

6. Bolt Carries

7. Gas Pistons

8. Triggers

9. Hammers

10. Sears

11. Butt-stocks

12. Pistol grips

13. Forearms/Hand-guards

14. Magazine Bodies

15. Magazine Followers

16. Magazine Floor-plates

Now, if you only used US magazines this can take care of 3 parts, but the US made mags are not even close to the imported military issue AK mags so I do no recommend that option at all.

You want to convert to a different style butt-stock so if you buy US made parts....

1. Butt-stock

2. Pistol grip

Now you have 2 parts down, just 4 more to replace

Now, the stock Maadi trigger is not that great, so if you replace it with a Redstar adjustable, or a Tappco G2 style trigger you will take care of 3 more parts and have a better trigger...

3. trigger

4. hammer

5. sear.

Now 1 part left to replace. If you want to you could replace the gas piston, or if you want to go with a tactical style you could buy a new set of us made polymer hand guards and then you have 6 parts!

6. gas piston or.......

6. hand-guards.

So there you go, and you will then be 922r legal.

Whatever you choose just remember of the 16 total parts listed no more than 10 can be imported.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Here's the MAK-90 I built a couple years ago with an Ironwood Designs stock set that I used RIT dye to make Russian Red. Stock set was 3 US parts, and I used a Tapco single hook trigger set for the other 3.

mak90.jpg

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong: I'm thinking that you CANNOT replace the original thumbhole with another thumbhole stock, unless you then continue to fulfill all the 922r regulations. ANY change whatsoever, even simply sticking a non-original mag in the mag hole, forces you to do the entire 922r thing. Right?

Guest 70below
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong: I'm thinking that you CANNOT replace the original thumbhole with another thumbhole stock, unless you then continue to fulfill all the 922r regulations. ANY change whatsoever, even simply sticking a non-original mag in the mag hole, forces you to do the entire 922r thing. Right?

Thats a fuzzy area. I know that the ATF ruled in the case of the PSL (Romanian Dragunov) that changing the thumb hole stock to another thumb hole stock (original to poly, etc) was not a violation of 922r.

Guest 70below
Ironwood sure makes some gorgeous furniture! Thats a great looking AK 70below!

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have it anymore, I've been thinking about trying another

"Somebody correct me if I'm wrong: I'm thinking that you CANNOT replace the original thumbhole with another thumbhole stock, unless you then continue to fulfill all the 922r regulations. ANY change whatsoever, even simply sticking a non-original mag in the mag hole, forces you to do the entire 922r thing. Right?"

I don't claim to be an expert on 922r. My understanding from all that I have read on the subject is that replacing a "Thumbhole" with a different "Thumbhole" does not invoke any 922r problems. I sure hope that's right. By that theory wouldn't replacing a foregrip or a top cover also invoke 922r? I know, I know. It's the government, they don't have to make sense. :shrug:

TK47

By the way, Mousegunner. GREAT info page on the MAK90. I love your website!