Glock 32

ghawk249

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big 357 sig advocate. There have been some reports of some funky mags coming with recent batches of 32s. I'm not sure that getting a 23 isn't a better route, then getting a conversion barrel. If you reload, reloading for the 357 sig isn't too bad and will save you a ton of money. Last I saw, it was $24 for 50 WWB. I reload it for around $13 per 100.

If the price is right on the 32 then get it and then you can pick up a Glock factory barrel in 40sw for about $135 and have a G23 also. Or you can get Lone Wolf cut rifled barrels with fully supported chambers in 40sw, 357sig or even a 9mm conversion.

The 32 is very similar to the 357 mag with 125 grain bullets in a 4" barrel. It does use 9mm bullets of .355 not .357 diameter. No biggie there. The tapered shape of the bottle necked cartridge seems to be an aid to reliability. As to performance, the jury is still out but common sense would dictate that it will perform as well as any +P+ 9mm, probably better, but will it match the 357 magnum? Not sure. One other thing to consider, you can get 135 grain loads in the 40sw that equal the 357sig in performance but make a bigger hole... .400.

Glockster, that is why I went the 23 route. I bought a fully supported 357 aftermarket barrel because of the higher pressures of the 357. The other factor that steered me to the 23 was that I love the rtf frame, and it isn't available in 32. Since this is your first trip to the glock side, it's worth mentioning that I avoided them for years. I've tried everything under the sun, but never owned a glock. I finally gave in when I found the 23 rtf. I couldn't be happier.

The lighter .40 ammo is indeed a very cool development. I'm kind of unclear why the round started with such a heavy bullet. However, my understanding is that the 357 sig can still get it moving faster. I've got mine going at just over 1360fps with 13.1gr of #9 with no signs of overpressure. I'm sure it could get faster, I just like to stick in the conservative numbers when reloading. I think the numbers on that 135gr .40 are 1325. Wouldn't you also lose density by making the wider bullet significantly lighter?

Edit: here are cor-bon's numbers on comparable 357 and .40 defensive rounds (they tend to underrate velocity).

Caliber: 357 Sig

Bullet Wt.: 115gr COR®BON Self-Defense JHP

Velocity: 1500fps

Energy: 575ftlbs

Caliber: 40 S&W

Bullet Wt.: 135gr COR®BON Self-Defense JHP

Velocity: 1325fps

Energy: 526ftlbs

Caliber: 357 Sig

Bullet Wt.: 125gr COR®BON Self-Defense JHP

Velocity: 1425fps

Energy: 564ftlbs