Need advice on SKS

Guest Caveman

Guest Caveman

I installed a recieve cover weaver rail on my SKS last night. I pulled the bolt back and the action was not nearly as smooth as it is with the factory reciever cover. In fact, when I guided the bolt back down it got stuck about and inch from a full cycle. When I pull the bolt back and just let it go it would fully return. I disassembled it and oiled it (no cosmoline build up) and even tried filing the new reciever cover down a bit, but it still sticks. Is this normal for a new rc? Does it have to be broken in before the action is smooth like the factory rc? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Make sure your spring isn't binding or catching on something.

Are you sure the cover is rubbing the bolt and the bolt isn't binding on something else?

Edited by 70below
Guest Caveman
Messin with that Chinese stuff....:screwy:

Well I would have been messin with your momma's carpet dwelling stuff, but you waited to long to let me know about it. So :) you good buddy.

Guest tnpanscraper

Caveman, Bring it over to the house Friday evening and we'll see if we can work it out. That is if my momma's rug won't bother you too much...lol...

Guest Caveman
Caveman, Bring it over to the house Friday evening and we'll see if we can work it out. That is if my momma's rug won't bother you too much...lol...

Will your mom be there? :)

Guest tnpanscraper
Did you compare parts before you installed the new one? Sounds like it is thicker or bent.

That R/C came off of my Russian SKS. There was no problems with it then. I suppose it's possible though...

Guest Caveman
Did you compare parts before you installed the new one? Sounds like it is thicker or bent.

I did, the railed rc is thicker than the original rc. I tried to file it down, but I think I might just take it to CC and have their smith do it. My other idea was to just mount the scope on the forearm top cover rail. I tried it last night and I could see through the scope fine.

Guest jackdm3

That's alot of metal to bring down. You'll be there months with a file or block and paper. But! The moving parts should have at least marked the trouble area to narrow it down.

Guest Caveman
first is the squiggly end in first? remember the bolt is not designed to follow in, but release and let slam home at full speed.

The factory bolt and rc are smooth as butter and with complete a cycle guided or not.

Guest Caveman
Caveman, what kind of SKS is yours?

Is it possible yours is different than the rifle the part is meant for?

I am not sure all SKS parts are interchangable from one manufacturer to another.

Mine is a Norinco, and the part came of a Russian Sks, so you may be correct.

Guest Caveman
Thats is you whole problem then. They are never going to fit correctly.

it is not like swapping parts on a Garand

Well the weaver rail rc is aftermarket, it came off a Russian SKS but it is not a factory part. Doesn't matter now anyway, I mounted the scope on my forearm top rail last night and I like it there just fine.

Guest tnpanscraper

Caveman,

I'll buy the R/C cover back man. I had no intention of selling you a part that you can't use.

Ya never know what that aftermarket stuff is gonna do. I have another aftermarket R/C on mine now and it works fine just like the one I sold you did... Weird...;)

Guest Caveman
Caveman,

I'll buy the R/C cover back man. I had no intention of selling you a part that you can't use.

Ya never know what that aftermarket stuff is gonna do. I have another aftermarket R/C on mine now and it works fine just like the one I sold you did... Weird...;)

Dude, you are good man. All that stuff you sold me was worth much more than I paid. I could have the part machined at CC if I wanted to, I just don't care enough to go through the trouble. Don't worry about it, these SKS's are tricky. I have some other stuff to post for free, I will just add that to it. Thanks anyway though.

Guest Caveman
I think it was operator error ;) I should have wondered when he asked to borrow my drill........ ;)

I don't believe I was talking to you. Speak when spoken to, that's what good girls do, when I want your opinion I will give it to you.