Obama using bribes?

Guest Aziroth

Guest Aziroth

Well here is some interesting information I pulled from the crevices, I wonder if this will ever find justice, or if this is something that will even stand out from the norm in today's politics.

Has a bombshell just been dropped in the November elections? If a story that broke on Thursday gets enough ink, the answer may be yes.

It’s being reported that the White House has sought to entice Senate primary challengers into dropping their campaigns against incumbent Democrats with the offer of plum government appointments — a jailable offense.

Jeffrey Lord of The American Spectator reports on the story, writing:

For the second time in five months, the Obama White House is being accused — by Democrats — of offering high ranking government jobs in return for political favors. What no one is reporting is that this is a violation of federal law that can lead to prison time, a fine or both, according to Title 18, Chapter 11, Section 211 of the United States Code.

The jobs in question? Secretary of the Navy and a position within the U.S. Agency for International Development [uSAID].

The newest allegation has been made by Congressman Joe Sestak (D-Pa.), who has launched a promising primary challenge against the Pennsylvania party-switcher, Arlen Specter. While being interviewed by talk-show host Larry Kane, Sestak was asked about whether he had been offered a job to exit the race and, appearing “a little surprised,†answered “yes.†Writes Kane, “I asked him if the job was Navy Secretary [sestak is a former Navy admiral]. He said, ‘I can’t comment on that.’ In the next few seconds, he admitted that it was a ‘high up’ job, that it came from the White House, and that he didn’t accept the offering.â€

Kane says that he later inquired about the matter with the White House press office but never heard back from its staff. This may indicate that the allegation is true. After all, if the Obama administration is guilty, it has a vested interested in not fielding questions about the matter. Otherwise, it places itself in the unenviable position of having to either confess malfeasance or put another lie on the record.

The American Spectator : White House Accused of Federal Crime in Specter, Bennet Races

Sestak Surprises Me With A Bombshell Answer at The Larry Kane Report

High Crimes: White House Accused of Using Bribery to Preserve Senate Majority

Not that I am seeking the fall of our government, but some strides need to be taken to remove these corrupt jacks from power before they remove more from us, happy hunting fellers.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see someone make a charge against the WH for that.

It is a treasonable offense. Hell, if he can't get people to agree with

him anymore, he bribes them. It's just one more high crime plus

a few misdemeanors.

Guest Drewsett

As much as it pains me to see things like this happen, it is just one more example of a long line of examples of corruption in the West Wing. Don't try to pretend this is just an Obama or Democrat thing...it's a politician thing. They will always CYA and will take whatever steps neccessary to ensure they remain in public service so they can continue to get their big ol slice of government cheese. When they finally get defeated then they take jobs as lobbyists and make just as much money as before all the while retaining what I like to call the "Golden Parachute" retirement package where they continue to enjoy health benefits and a VERY generous pension courtesy of Joe/Jane Taxpayer.

As much as it pains me to see things like this happen, it is just one more example of a long line of examples of corruption in the West Wing. Don't try to pretend this is just an Obama or Democrat thing...it's a politician thing. They will always CYA and will take whatever steps neccessary to ensure they remain in public service so they can continue to get their big ol slice of government cheese. When they finally get defeated then they take jobs as lobbyists and make just as much money as before all the while retaining what I like to call the "Golden Parachute" retirement package where they continue to enjoy health benefits and a VERY generous pension courtesy of Joe/Jane Taxpayer.

Fred Thompson wasn't defeated, but he did become a lobbyist for a while.

There are several democrats that aren't being put before ethics panels right now because of their leadership that is playing the politics and allowing it to continue. It is too easy to say it's both parties' fault. Would taking a stand, other than sitting in the middle on a fence, be more productive? I would rather find a cause to believe in than to give up.

Charles Rangel, Chris Dodd, Nancy Pelosi, are a few names that come to mind about ethics problems not even being considered. I don't know of any

republicans currently having that problem. Maybe there are. I don't know of any bribes being reported on that Bush was involved in, do you? His dad? Ronald Reagan? I'll stop there.

The messiah has been caught in so many lies. I think it is obvious where

the majority of the problems are, and the republicans usually take the high ground.

Guest Drewsett
Fred Thompson wasn't defeated, but he did become a lobbyist for a while.

There are several democrats that aren't being put before ethics panels right now because of their leadership that is playing the politics and allowing it to continue. It is too easy to say it's both parties' fault. Would taking a stand, other than sitting in the middle on a fence, be more productive? I would rather find a cause to believe in than to give up.

Charles Rangel, Chris Dodd, Nancy Pelosi, are a few names that come to mind about ethics problems not even being considered. I don't know of any

republicans currently having that problem. Maybe there are. I don't know of any bribes being reported on that Bush was involved in, do you? His dad? Ronald Reagan? I'll stop there.

The messiah has been caught in so many lies. I think it is obvious where

the majority of the problems are, and the republicans usually take the high ground.

I think you may have missed my point.

It is standard practice to appoint your friends (whether they're purchased or not) to cushy Federal positions when one is elected President/Senate Majority Leader/Speaker of the House. This happens every election year pretty much like clockwork and probably will happen every election year until societal collapse. You are naive if you think that Bush, Reagan, or ANY politician for that matter hasn't taken/given a political "bribe" in their careers. The key to all of it has always been who does/doesn't get caught.

You really can't think of any Republicans in the news recently with ethics issues?

*Deep breath*

Mark Sanford, Tom DeLay, Mark Foley, Scooter Libby (we all know he went down for Cheney/Rove), Halliburton/Cheney, Jack Abramoff and the like 20 people who took money and favors from him...

need I go on?

You're right...it IS obvious where the majority of the problems are...Washington. Both parties are so mired in the thick of corruption it's almost impossible to tell them apart these days.

Mark Sanford, Tom DeLay, Mark Foley, Scooter Libby (we all know he went down for Cheney/Rove), Halliburton/Cheney, Jack Abramoff and the like 20 people who took money and favors from him...

Mark Sanford, not an issue of politics, besides, he was otherwise a good governor.

Tom Delay. I'm still thinking that was a scam. Out of office and still fighting it.

Mark Foley. whatever

Scooter Libbey, where did that end up?

Jack Abramoff, a lobbyist. Corrupt yes, went to jail, I think.

Halliburton/Cheney might want to take a look at that one. Been explained since the first democrat opened their mouth bitching about it. In the end nothing wrong with it.

The problem is there are two standards by which politicians are judged. Republicans

whether they are right or wrong end up in a bloodbath by the democrats. Democrats

more often than not, get away with, up to and including murder without sometimes

even going to hearings, much less trials.

There are problems on both sides and both sides are guilty sometimes, but one side

(democrats) tend to get away with everything and republicans end up leaving office.

Just because Katie Couric or the NYT says something doesn't make them a credible news source. I'm not sure what you mean, "Scooter Libbey went down for Cheney/Rove". That's what was blown into our heads from the media, but no proof

exists. As far as I'm concerned, they were guilty of lies by democrats and media megaphones.

Remember Goebbels(?): Tell a lie enough times until it is the truth.

A good bull:poop: detector takes years to refine.

Go back during the Clinton years and dig up some dirt about suspicious deaths that

were never solved. The sum of his eight years is a term adds up to the history of the republicans' existence. There have been a string of books telling much about "behind

the scenes" trouble with Bill Clinton, not to mention Hillary. The media reported as little as they could get away with and aided and abetted by lying about the Clintons

at every turn.

deep sigh...

And my point is not to lecture anyone, but try finding out the truth before you judge

someone. Believe what you wish, but that doesn't make it true. It should be obvious

that the media is aiding and abetting Obama and the democrats and have been doing this since before I was born.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I can handle it. I just see this from a different point of view

and the only way this will ever stop is when the last progressive is sent to Europe,

where they belong.

Or maybe the moon.

Guest Drewsett
And my point is not to lecture anyone, but try finding out the truth before you judge

someone. Believe what you wish, but that doesn't make it true. It should be obvious

that the media is aiding and abetting Obama and the democrats and have been doing this since before I was born.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I can handle it. I just see this from a different point of view

and the only way this will ever stop is when the last progressive is sent to Europe,

where they belong.

Or maybe the moon.

As far as the names I pulled out...I just came up with those off the top of my head.

I disagree about Sanford. A willingness to abandon your post without leaving mention to anyone in the governor's office as to where you are going or when you'll be back is most definitely an issue of politics to me.

Dereliction of duty comes to mind...

Tom DeLay is above all else an extremely smooth operator. The man was nicknamed "The Velvet Hammer" for chrissakes. I seriously doubt that any charges will ever stick to the man, but that doesn't mean that I don't wholeheartedly believe that at the very least some extremely strenuous bending of the rules occurred...and to me, from a public servant...that is unacceptable.

Scooter Libby went to jail. He was convicted of "outing" CIA agent Valerie Plame, wife of Joe Wilson, the ambassador who made disparaging comments about the Bush admin if I remember correctly. Do I believe that this low-level paper pusher would have had the wherewithal, or even cojones to take on a US Ambassador without at least consulting his bosses in the West Wing?

Mark Foley...whatever? Come on, the Republicans most definitely started the whole fight over sexual indiscretion with the impeachment of Bill Clinton...the Democrats have a very long memory and will pounce on any "family values" Republican who so much as looks sideways at a woman other than his wife. The GOP brought these battles on themselves because you can't expect the Democrats to not retaliate in kind. Tit for tat and all, it's the way Washington works.

And as far as Halliburton is concerned, I think there really should have been a better attempt from the beginning from the administration to ensure that there were fewer instances of government waste with Halliburton because they should have known the transactions would be heavily scrutinized due to the relationship that Cheney "previously" had with the company. Whether he directly profited or not, there's just something wrong about using your position to greatly enrich all your old buddies with no bid contracts courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Oh and I don't care for Katie Couric, but the NYT is useful at least to see what the other side is thinking. The arts/entertainment and world news coverage is pretty good too. I prefer the WSJ to be honest. Reason magazine isn't half bad and Drudge is an old standby as well. I'll occasionally pick up a Tennesseean for local sports coverage, but that's pretty much it for my main stream media influence.

The media has always been biased. Back in the golden age of the newspaper they didn't pretend to be unbiased....newspapers like the LA Times started as very conservative, pro-business papers...you had the abolitionist papers of the Civil War era Northeast as examples of just a few amongst many. I think perhaps that would be better, so that the populace could at least know for sure where their news is coming from. None of this pseudo-impartiality we have today.

As far as lecturing is concerned, I don't feel like I'm being lectured...in fact I enjoy the point/counterpoint of healthy debate. I hope you feel the same way. :D

Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet I'm a libertarian that gets his kicks knocking the whole two party system and the Republicrats and Demicans that make up our government today. :D

Edited by Drewsett
spelling

That was a good response, Drewsett:D

However, Sanford was a state issue, and if I were in SC, I would have been disappointed.

It really doesn't matter what you or I believe about Scooter Libby. It matters what we believe about how far up the food chain the problem started. I may be wrong about it

but no allegations could get higher than him, and Bush didn't pardon him. I would think he would squeal like a pig if he could make that connection.

What I recall about Cheney is that there were no improprieties and Halliburton was uniquely qualified to perform those tasks, during war time. I may be naive, but I

accept that as an answer since nothing else came of it. I doubt a competitive bid

would have mattered. I agree that one should not use his position to reward previous

relationships.

Mark Foley was stupid. Bill Clinton caused his own problems by keeping someone on her knees at his beck and call. It became serious enough for impeachment hearings

due to lying under oath, something that should be brought with our current imposter.

And, yes it is politics, and is sad that there is a lack of ethics inside the beltway.

We tend to read a lot of the same.

I knew you got your kicks doing it:D but I didn't equate it to libertarianism. Nothing wrong with that. As long as we know there are different takes on the politics of the moment, it's healthy discussion, and our country will survive somehow or another.

Now's always a good time to put a stop to this criminal behaviour. It may never happen but it sure should if there is evidence. Remember Watergate? It would be good and would cleanse both parties if the people demanded. It doesn't matter which party did it.

Guest Aziroth

I agree, now is the time to stop our runaway government. No worries who's fault or problem it was in the yesteryears, it is our problems now. All politicians lie, some lie less than others and sometimes politicians need to be put to the stake and burned alive.

Its obvious to me that the government wont do anything to stop this, why should they if they are all in the pockets of other politicians who are in the pockets of big business.

It is estimated that 11.3 million homeowners will lose their homes within the first half of this year, and there are some other estimates saying that there are close to or over 30 million in unemployment. All too convenient with the fact that unemployment ends for the foreseeable future coming january 2011.

And yet we still have to suck the nether-regions of the politicians who get rich and have backdoor deals for power, sure its how it has always been, but do we want to put up with it in these times?

I will make another post about the unemployment estimates, maybe some other goodies on how the government loves to toy with us little lowly creatures of burden, I got enough info to spare.

The pot always calls the kettle black;)

Not in politics. It's more of a slip or you've stepped on the wrong ****. All of this starts at the city government level and after the first it comes easy when you've surrounded yourself with active participants. Once they get you hooked there's nothing you can say or do unless your willing to hang yourself along with others. Politics is a dirty thing and I expect that there are none that are clean none. They simply cover their corruption by corrupting.

We know that a smaller government is the answer but how many times have we heard it ;) I just don't see the willingness in anyone to willingly sacrifice...

Guest Ghostrider
You're right...it IS obvious where the majority of the problems are...Washington. Both parties are so mired in the thick of corruption it's almost impossible to tell them apart these days.

You make a good point(s).

I'd like to see term limits. I don't think the founders ever really thought anyone would be a "professional" politician. Term limits as in two terms and that's the end.

I'd also like to see a law that would make all public officials live under the laws they pass. No more golden parachutes. No more "for thee, but not for me" crap.

Of course, I still don't think you should be allowed to vote without an honorable discharge. I really think there was a reason that originally only land owners could vote. There are so many in our society today that have "nothing to lose" no matter who is in charge, they can ride the gravy train and vote in whomever they choose. Land owners, I think, would mostly vote for limited government. Just my opinion. Worth what you paid.

So you want change? I think it will change. It will be when people say they have had enough. You just don't see the willingness in anyone to willingly sacrifice. Hope you included yourself.:drama: It will be drastic and it will probably come from someone like messiah, as is

going on now, and things will get desperate enough that it will cause an uprising from

the people eventually. You're probably right about the willingness, but that will be trumped by necessity. Currencies will collapse and countries will fail. This country can survive if we catch it in time and realize we can't be our brother's keeper and all that

good communist crap. We will force the change when enough people get the resolve

and deal with it by throwing out our politicians and most of our government. The

country will be different and it will have a smaller government and revert back to capitalism. When the people really want to get this country back on track, it will

have to suffer a bit longer but it will reach a boiling point. This country is most

healthy when it is free. It doesn't bail out motor companies. It doesn't bail out banks.

It let's them fail. The stuff that comes back works a little better when it is allowed

to without all the regulations. When government gets out of the way, this country

creates and achieves like no other. It's in our constitution until we let tyrants get

their hands on our power:freedom. It was written like you said, not expecting

professional politicians, plus not considering our spineless behaviour allowing progressives to demoralize our society. The constitution can be changed in small

ways to stop those professional politicians and to put safeguards against other forms of tyranny. It is a fine document that left open a few loopholes and they were exploited. all of this can be fixed when we decide to.

I choose to stay Republican and fix my party's problem, rather than try a third party

because all it will do is split a vote a couple times and delay this country's success by

allowing tyrants to go unchecked and keep on digging deeper like a tick. That's how we got Bill Clinton and it's how we will get a Van Jones or some other marxist.

When this country is ready for a third party it will happen, but it will cause a lot more misery until we succeed. thorn If it is as you say about no moral leadership existing,

then we must be ready to start a war, because if we've gone so far to have no faith

in anyone, we have to start from scratch. Maybe it's already biblical, I don't know.

I'd like to think there is still something to work with, but there is a heck of a lot to

cleanse, first.

Just my thoughts. No argument. Kinda depressing but something has to happen.

Hope you included yourself.

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes".

I do think that the Republican party has been stolen by politics as we know it. Can we take it back? I don't think term limits accomplish much if anything if the eminence and prosperity are not lopped off along with those limits. Keep in mind that most of the corruption is technically legal and practiced via non-profits and maxing out budget spending all the way down to city levels. Most people do not (or even care to) comprehend the setup.

Where we are today came by generational changes and the best we can hope for would be the same to bring us back to where we should be. But...

I agree. It will have to be a complete reset with the system. No more good ole boys, period. As far as lobbies, that's a change that has to be codified. You can't use the Fed to tell what a city what to budget, though, only stop all the Fed encroachment. That's what a constitutional convention will have to change, and probably a few other things like welfare stuff being prohibited or strictly limited somehow. But our Constitution really needs to otherwise stay intact.

Guest Drewsett

I definitely agree that term limits are the glaring exception to the founders' otherwise brilliant work in the drafting of our Constitution. They definitely never anticipated the professional politician. Good luck getting them to pass them now. The old adage about the camel's nose and the tent comes to mind...