Jackson City Council Unanimous Vote on gun issue

Today at the Jackson City Council Meeting, Chapter 6, Section 11, relative to manufacture, sales and transfer of handguns, (which was grandfathered by virtue of it's adoption prior to 1986) was stricken from the City Municipal Code.

This action brings the City in line with State preemption laws under TCA39-17-1314. The Citizens of this area owe a debt of gratitude to Councilmen Randy Wallace, Danny Ellis and Frank Neudecker for their efforts, which resulted in 9-0 vote to remove the 15 day waiting period, application to the Chief of Police, and requirement to provide a "reason" for acquiring the weapon.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

Was this actually required when buying a handgun if you lived in Jackson city limits or just an old city ordinance on the books that needed to be taken off? I have never heard of such a thing when buying a handgun in TN. I thought we all went through the TICS check when buying from a dealer and walked out with it or of course no check when buying from an individual.

Jackson is where I have purchased almost all of my firearms and AFAIK the transaction wasn't different than anywhere else in the state.

However I don't think the mayor and the new chief of police are as pro-gun as the council, so at least this removes one tool they could have used if they wanted to.

MTAS re-codified the Jackson Municipal Code this year, in reading the entirety, we discovered the section. We simply asked for it to be stricken, along with the section that precludes carry in parks, which has been used in other municipalities to avoid bringing the Parks Resolution to a vote. MTAS and the City Attorney gave an opinion that it could not done be without Council action, and that the statute was enforceable if left unchallenged.

I wasn't aware of all this. Has the no carry in parks ordinance been stricken or could we be prosecuted for carrying in parks in Jackson or Madison County?

As Brooks brought the issue to vote with the introduction of his Resolution in September, and its defeat, HCP carry in Parks is valid in Jackson. Had he left it alone, as they did in Knoxville, the pre 1986 rule would have stood in force.

The Council defeated that Resolution 6-3, upholding the HB 0716, allowing permit holders to carry in Parks..

The current Municipal Code still had the pre 1986 Ordinance included, but by virtue of the vote on the Resolution last fall, it stands moot.