White House land grab

DEMINT: White House land grab - Washington Times

You'd think the Obama administration is busy enough controlling the banks, insurance companies and automakers, but thanks to whistleblowers at the Department of the Interior, we now learn they're planning to increase their control over energy-rich land in the West.

A secret administration memo has surfaced revealing plans for the federal government to seize more than 10 million acres from Montana to New Mexico, halting job- creating activities like ranching, forestry, mining and energy development. Worse, this land grab would dry up tax revenue that's essential for funding schools, firehouses and community centers.

President Obama could enact the plans in this memo with just the stroke of a pen, without any input from the communities affected by it.

At a time when our national unemployment rate is 9.7 percent, it is unbelievable anyone would be looking to stop job-creating energy enterprises, yet that's exactly what's happening.

The document lists 14 properties that, according to the document, "might be good candidates" for Mr. Obama to nab through presidential proclamation. Apparently, Washington bureaucrats believe it's more important to preserve grass and rocks for birdwatchers and backpackers than to keep these local economies thriving.

Administration officials claim the document is merely the product of a brainstorming session, but anyone who reads this memo can see that it is a wish list for the environmentalist left. It discusses, in detail, what kinds of animal populations would benefit from limiting human activity in those areas.

The 21-page document, marked "Internal Draft-NOT FOR RELEASE," names 14 different lands Mr. Obama could completely close for development by unilaterally designating them as "monuments" under the 1906 Antiquities Act.

It says all kinds of animals would be better off by doing so, like the coyotes, badgers, grouse, chickens and lizards. But giving the chickens more room to roost is no reason for the government to override states' rights.

Rep. Robert Bishop, Utah Republican, made the memo public because he didn't want another unilateral land grab by the White House, like what happened under former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

Using the Antiquities Act, President Carter locked up more land than any other president had before him, taking more than 50 million acres in Alaska despite strong opposition from the state.

(More at link)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

President Obama could enact the ...

Please do not use that term. The correct terms for future use are as follows:

- The Usurper Obama

- So-called... (global warming, etc.)

- The Tax-Cheat Geitner

- The Tax-Cheat Rangle

- Anvil-Joe Biden

- Mrs. Clinton (or Mrs. Slick Willy)

- The Wicked Witch Pelosi

etc.

Hmmm...as a conservationist and one who despises the federal government, I don't know how to feel about this. I think the land can be sustainably used, but I don't trust private entities within a capitalist economy to have any interest in preserving natural habitats. I suppose it should be in the hands of the states, but the states have to show some kind of inclination toward conservation to keep the fed out of their business.

Guest 6.8 AR

If it is state property what right is it of the Fed or you

or I say what happens to that property? I doubt it

passed constitutional scrutiny when Jimmy Carter did

his land grab, except for a precedent for future tyrants.

Guest Drewsett
Hmmm...as a conservationist and one who despises the federal government, I don't know how to feel about this. I think the land can be sustainably used, but I don't trust private entities within a capitalist economy to have any interest in preserving natural habitats. I suppose it should be in the hands of the states, but the states have to show some kind of inclination toward conservation to keep the fed out of their business.

I read the article and I couldn't figure out what lands they were talking about. Without knowing what lands they're talking about, I certainly don't know what to think. The government controlling anything is not something I typically am in support of, but then again, the National Parks are as the series says "Our Nation's Best Idea". All of those are federal lands, and while there are certainly some aspects of the park services' administration of said parks that I don't like...for the most part they do a great job.

As far as your statement about not trusting a private entity...what about SC Johnson? They have sustainable energy for all their factories. There are a great number of corporations trying to be better stewards for the environment because there are more people concerned with it...environmentalists and conservationists aren't all unwashed hippies anymore...they're the soccer moms who recycle...the young professional who drives a hybrid...etc. People DO vote with their pocketbooks and with the EPA as well as NGO's keeping watch...I think that we could keep the less environmentally concerned companies in line.