Bills Being Heard Today 3/10/10

Today is the day for several bills concerning firearms. The Criminal Practice and Procedure Subcommittee will be meeting at 11:00a.m. (Nashville time)

1. HB1801 by *West. (*SB1615 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that "handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" where applicable, thereby imposing any rights or duties that apply to persons with a handgun carry permit to persons who carry a lawful weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1801 as introduced.

2. HB1805 by *West. (*SB1619 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, exempts holder of handgun carry permit from prohibition against carrying a firearm in any public park, playground, civic center, or other public recreational area or facility. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1805 as introduced.

3. HB1806 by *West. (*SB1622 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows non-student adult who has a permit to carry a handgun to carry gun onto school grounds if gun remains within private vehicle and is not handled by the adult or a person acting with the adult's consent. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1806

4. HB1807 by *West. (*SB0576 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person who has permit to carry a handgun to carry gun in place where alcohol is served for consumption on premises if person is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1807

5. HB1808 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1620 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, extends from 60 to 90 days the amount of time that a permit holder has to notify the department of safety that the holder's address has changed. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

The Abstract summarizes HB1808 as introduced.

6. HB1809 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1621 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, clarifies that rules concerning weapons shall be subject to review by the house and senate government operations committees. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1809 as introduced.

7. *HB2718 by *Campfield. (SB3752 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, provides that a certified copy of a birth certificate is not required for the issuance or renewal of a handgun carry permit. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB2718 as introduced.

33. HB2567 by *Fincher. (*SB2390 by *Jackson, *Gresham.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows person without handgun carry permit to transport rifle or shotgun in privately-owned motor vehicle provided there is no ammunition in the chamber or cylinder and no loaded clip or magazine in the weapon or in close proximity to the weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB2567

35. *HB3712 by *Odom. (SB3714 by *Haynes.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows restaurants to post signs at public entrances permitting people with handgun carry permits to carry in restaurant as long as they are not consuming; provides restaurant owner incurs no civil liability for gun-related injury caused by permit holder. - Amends TCA Section 39-17-1305.

Summary for *HB3712

40. *HB2422 by *Hardaway. (SB3377 by *Marrero B.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates various gun show offenses, including prohibiting any person who is not a licensed firearms dealer from transferring a firearm to another person if any part of the transfer takes place at a gun show or within 1,000 feet of a gun show. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

Summary for *HB2422

43. HB2881 by *Rich, *Harrison, *Dennis, *Matlock. (*SB2528 by *Faulk, *Jackson, *Ketron.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, authorizes department of safety to make available to public through an electronically searchable database whether person has an unrevoked handgun carry permit based upon information provided by requester; authorizes sale of permit holder addresses in bulk; and makes all other handgun carry permit information confidential. - Amends TCA Title 10, Chapter 7, Part 5 and Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB2881

44. HB3125 by *Todd. (*SB3012 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person with handgun carry permit to possess handgun in establishment licensed by alcoholic beverage commission as a "restaurant," provided it is not posted; increases penalty for permit holder consuming alcohol within such an establishment; clarifies and makes uniform language constituting valid posting and increases penalty for unlawfully carrying firearm in place where alcohol served for consumption on-premises. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13; Section 57-3-204 and Section 57-4-203.

Summary for HB3125

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
If by favorable you mean they're going to make it illegal to do searches on permit holders that you can't do on everybody else, then I'm all for it.

I think Fallguy meant #44, the restaurant bill introduced by Rep. Todd.

Today's results:

Taken off notice (so, gone for this session,I believe) - 1805, 1806, 1807, 3712

Passed to full committee as is: 1801, 1808, 1809

Amended and passed to full committee: 2718, 2567, 3125

Rolled to next week (last scheduled meeting of the subcomittee): 2422, 2881

Nice! got this from the National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action:

Restaurant Carry Reform Measure Takes a Step Forward

Please Contact the Members of the House Judiciary Committee Today!

On Wednesday, March 10 the House Judiciary Criminal Practice Sub-Committee passed House Bill 3125 by a vote of 4-2. This legislation will now be heard by the House Judiciary Committee.

HB3125, with an NRA-backed amendment, would enable a person who has a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm into restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. HB3125, introduced by State Representative Curry Todd (R-95), was filed in response to Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman’s ruling last November. The current law was ruled as being unconstitutionally vague because of a perceived ambiguity over the state’s definition of restaurants. This bill, with the NRA-backed amendment, will fix any ambiguity.

NRA-ILA would like to thank the of the members of the House Judiciary Criminal Practice Sub-Committee for their hard work on HB3125.

Please contact members of the House Judiciary Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support HB3125. Contact information for the committee can be found below.

State Representative Kent Coleman (D-49), Chair

Phone: (615) 741-6829

State Representative Jon Lundberg (R-1), Vice Chair

Phone: (615) 741-7623

State Representative Janis Sontany (D-53), Secretary

Phone: (615) 741-6861

State Representative Eddie Bass (D-65)

Phone: (615) 741-1864

State Representative Karen Camper (D-87)

Phone: (615) 741-1898

Email: rep.karen.camper@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Jim Coley (R-97)

Phone: (615) 741-8201

State Representative Vance Dennis (R-71)

Phone: (615) 741-2190

State Representative Henry Fincher (D-42)

Phone: (615) 741-

State Representative Judd Matheny (R-47)

Phone: (615) 741-7448

Email: rep.judd.matheny@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Barrett Rich (R-94)

Phone: (615) 741-6890

Email: rep.barrett.rich@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Mike Stewart (D-52)

Phone: (615) 741-2184

State Representative Eric Watson (R-22)

Phone: (615) 741-7799

Email: rep.eric.watson@capitol.tn.gov

Today's results:

Taken off notice (so, gone for this session,I believe) - 1805, 1806, 1807, 3712

Passed to full committee as is: 1801, 1808, 1809

Amended and passed to full committee: 2718, 2567, 3125

Rolled to next week (last scheduled meeting of the subcomittee): 2422, 2881

Thanks!

I would just add that "taken off notice" doesn't directly mean that a bill is dead for the session, but considering the sub-committee is only scheduled to meet one more time, it probably has that affect on those 4 bills

Yeah, the fact that next week was the last scheduled meeting was emphatically pronounced several times, so that's why I figured they were goners. It was also VERY clear that no bills would be accepted for placement on next weeks calendar if received after 3pm today...LOL.

Yeah, the fact that next week was the last scheduled meeting was emphatically pronounced several times, so that's why I figured they were goners. It was also VERY clear that no bills would be accepted for placement on next weeks calendar if received after 3pm today...LOL.

LOL....I can just imagine who said that.... ;)

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Can someone clarify this one for me - especially since it is now basically a dead bill. I thought that it was already legal for a HCP holder to keep a firearm locked in their car (provided they don't handle it etc...) while on a school property? That whole argument about people dropping their kids off at school etc... Am I wrong?

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows non-student adult who has a permit to carry a handgun to carry gun onto school grounds if gun remains within private vehicle and is not handled by the adult or a person acting with the adult's consent. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1806

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Can someone clarify this one for me - especially since it is now basically a dead bill. I thought that it was already legal for a HCP holder to keep a firearm locked in their car (provided they don't handle it etc...) while on a school property? That whole argument about people dropping their kids off at school etc... Am I wrong?

Summary for HB1806

For example: in 39-17-1309 it already says the following;

"It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property."

am I missing something entirely?

Guest Jamie

am I missing something entirely?

Yeah, I've wondered about that myself...

It seems they're passing a law just to be passing a law, since that subject had already been covered a couple of years ago.

What gives? What's different about the new version?

J.