question about applications...

Guest ZapSib

Guest ZapSib

I hope this is in the right section... Anyway, I'm somewhat new to the world of firearms (compared to lots of people). But today I was in Gun City and noticed some folders by the counter with firearms purchase applications in them. One was labelled "Delievered" to Fed, one "Denied by Fed" and another "Approved". I was confused because I had been told by the owner of two different gun shop that in Tennessee after a firearms transaction was complete (or at least approved), all records relating to the transaction were destroyed. The store was too busy for me to get curious with the employees so I'm asking here if anyone knows what that's about? It spiked my "hmm, is there some secret gun registration type deal going on behind the scenes" button... :lol:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was confused because I had been told by the owner of two different gun shop that in Tennessee after a firearms transaction was complete (or at least approved), all records relating to the transaction were destroyed.

Not true at all. The FFLs are required to maintain the paperwork for a long time and I believe they are required to send the paperwork into the ATF if they go out of business. My understanding is that they just need to have the paperwork available for ATF inspection for times that the ATF is trying to track down a gun used in a crime. I'm sure an FFL or one of the many people with more knowledge than I have will chime in here soon.

Guest ZapSib

I should have said not ALL records literally but records regarding the transaction with the TBI/government. Maybe I'm not even clear on the terms. But yeah, I think I'm understanding the deal even after 2 posts.

I'm fairly certain the ATF form 4473 (Firearm Transaction Record) and the bound-book is what is required to be kept. And I think they have to keep them for 5 years if the transaction was denied and 20 years if the transaction was successful.

I think the bound book is what is supposed to be maintained for 5 years. I believe the applications are to be destroyed.

EDIT: Disregard my previous. ATF's site must be down, but found the following on Wikipedia under FFL License:

FFL holders are required to keep a registry of firearms sales in an ATF-approved Bound Book, or a computerized equivalent using ATF-approved software. They must also maintain file copies of Form 4473 or eForm 4473 "Firearms Transaction Record" documents, for a period of not less than 20 years after the date of sale or disposition. When retiring or otherwise relinquishing a license, these records are sent to the BATFE's Out-of-Business Records Center. The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. In addition, the sale of two or more handguns to a person in a five business day period must be reported to ATF on Form 3310.4.
Edited by rentalguy1

Found it:

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS, AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478_COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart H_Records

Sec. 478.129 Record retention.

(:lol: Firearms transaction record. Licensees shall retain each Form

4473 and Form 4473(LV) for a period of not less than 20 years after the

date of sale or disposition. Where a licensee has initiated a NICS check

for a proposed firearms transaction, but the sale, delivery, or transfer

of the firearm is not made, the licensee shall record any transaction

number on the Form 4473, and retain the Form 4473 for a period of not

less than 5 years after the date of the NICS inquiry. Forms 4473 shall

be retained in the licensee's records as provided in Sec. 478.124(;):

Provided, That Forms 4473 with respect to which a

sale, delivery or transfer did not take place shall be separately

retained in alphabetical (by name of transferee) or chronological (by

date of transferee's certification) order.

Link to law:

Section