what does army ranger BP panels fit in....

My buddy got a pair of od green bullet proof panels seems to be front and back.....they supposedly were army ranger issue...what kind of carrier should he be looking for and is it legal to posess these. he picked them up at a flea market and it says it will stop 9mm/44 magnum with a 30 cal upgrade....date of manufacture is 7 of 93.

this may be in the wrong section but I figured if anyone would know you guys would.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I have no idea about legality but dont see why they wouldnt be. :taunt:

If they were in fact military issue, I would say take them with and hit Army/Military surplus stores to find something they would fit in.

Being that old they are probably much larger than those issued these days.

Or he may could find someone Active or Guard that has a current vest and see if they fit????

Just thoughts.....No real knowledge, that is just what I would do.

Now if they have any markings on them or he measures them he may be able to find something on the web for them.

I didnt like the vests we were issued, but now wish I had one. I am not sure how often I would actually wear it but do wish I had one.

They're referred to as "chicken plates," and were issued to special operations forces and aviators in that era. They would fit the old style body armor vests, but I'm not sure where one of those could be found today. Cheaper than Dirt offers the new style body armor vests and the actual armor to go in them, and it is perfectly legal to own them. The older ones were ok, but not as good as the newer kevlar material that is used today. We used to take the back plate out and sit on them in the aircraft. The bulletproofing under the seats in OH-58's and AH-6's were severely lacking, and every time we were shot at, it was from underneath.

Based on the date, sounds like they could be Interceptor SAPI plates that were carried in the OTV "Outer Tactical Vest." They are Level IV and should stop assault rifle type rounds (i.e. 7.62x39mm) at 0 meters, to include armor piercing AK rounds, 5.56mm SS109, etc.

SOCOM units were wearing it back in the 90s. No longer current issue.

During that time the Ranger REGT also fielded Ranger Body Armor (well illustrated in the film Black Hawk Down), with performance generally similar to Interceptor but heavier. I'm not sure on the exact chain of ownership (because I didn't ask :D), but I know some non-Ranger units in XVIII Airborne Corps also used RBA before getting Interceptor.

I'm sure Joe at Hero-Gear has humped around in both. :rolleyes:

My buddy got a pair of od green bullet proof panels seems to be front and back.....they supposedly were army ranger issue...what kind of carrier should he be looking for and is it legal to posess these. he picked them up at a flea market and it says it will stop 9mm/44 magnum with a 30 cal upgrade....date of manufacture is 7 of 93.

this may be in the wrong section but I figured if anyone would know you guys would.

Based on the date, sounds like they could be Interceptor SAPI plates that were carried in the OTV "Outer Tactical Vest." They are Level IV and should stop assault rifle type rounds (i.e. 7.62x39mm) at 0 meters, to include armor piercing AK rounds, 5.56mm SS109, etc.

SOCOM units were wearing it back in the 90s. No longer current issue.

During that time the Ranger REGT also fielded Ranger Body Armor (well illustrated in the film Black Hawk Down), with performance generally similar to Interceptor but heavier. I'm not sure on the exact chain of ownership (because I didn't ask ;)), but I know some non-Ranger units in XVIII Airborne Corps also used RBA before getting Interceptor.

I'm sure Joe at Hero-Gear has humped around in both. :tough:

I have a long and painful career of wearing heavy and uncomfortable armor... ;) (my back and shoulders STILL hurt...)

Are these soft panels?

For reference:

RBA "Range Body Armor"

rba.jpg

Interceptor

interceptor_04.jpg

What it sounds like to me is the panels out of a "chicken vest"

GreenCombatVehicleCrewmanBodyArmor8X10.jpg

Which for the record; have pretty much ZERO ballistic protection for direct hits against pistol or rifle rounds.

They were really only (barely) effective for protection against shrapnel.

or the soft panels out of the RBA.

*I dont think it would be Interceptor, as these open down the front/center, sorta like a jacket.

Post front/rear pictures of what you have and we can give you an accurate answer on what you have.

What it sounds like to me is the panels out of a "chicken vest"

GreenCombatVehicleCrewmanBodyArmor8X10.jpg

Which for the record; have pretty much ZERO ballistic protection for direct hits against pistol or rifle rounds.

They were really only (barely) effective for protection against shrapnel.

I have a 3" scar on my shoulder blade that can attest to this statement.