Boar/wild Hog hunting in TN.

Guest Keinengel

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By law, feral hogs and wild boar being raised and/or managed MUST be contained on ALL properties with the exception of a few choice locations where they occur naturally, I.E: The Smoky Mountains and certain WMA's. All other locations statewide, they MUST be CONTAINED to prevent them from escaping and damaging public and private property. Spending 2 days hunting wild boar with dogs and not getting a shot until late the second day, doesn't sound like a caged hunt to me! Try it, you may even enjoy the meat!

Edited by wd-40
How could you approve of something like this. This is a can hunt, hunting inside a cage.

Patty, do you eat a steak, hamburger, chicken, buffalo, etc, etc., when you go out to eat? If you are anything but a vegetarian, you have more than approved of something like a "canned hunt". Simply put, a lot of people today are professionals, and their job keeps them out of the woods. If you don't have the opportunity to do something you love, such as scouting for a hunt, this is a very good alternative. Show disdain if you will, but be sure you know where to place all that disdain . . . . .

Well I don't......JUST KIDDING!!!:up:

hey...lol

I was basically saying, that is was ok to post that website. I was under the impression that what wd-40 was alluding to when he said "if the mod. approves" was whether or no posting the a link to another site would be ok, and since he has no direct affiliation with that site, it isn't considered illegal advertising on TGO.

After I said "I like", I said to my self "Self, you might want to check the website to see what it is all about.". Well now I must say, I want to go. I have told wd-40 before that I have never hunted hogs before and would love to one day. I am jealous of all you folks that have hogs on your hunting property.

Guest Letereat!
I'm thinking we need to get a few folks together and go on a hog hunt out east somewhere.

Pick Me!! Pick Me!! It is our civic duty and responsibility to keep wild pig populations in check. This sounds like a superb idea.

count me in

Edited by Letereat!
Guest forklift

I just sent an email to the TWRA regarding hog regulations. I will update if I get a reply. Here is the email sent:

To whom it may concern,

I find it difficult to understand why the feral hog/wild boar population is regulated by a big game license. If it is considered a prolific intrusive species that the TWRA wants population spread slowed and controlled, then in my opinion, it should not be regulated by a big game license.

If coyote are regulated as small game and open year-round with no limit, then such a destructive species as feral hogs should have similar if not more relaxed regulations. It appears as if Tennessee residents are having to ‘pay a privilege fee’ to hunt a nuisance species.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.

Guest Patty
Cause that's how I roll, kid

Know your facts before you start throwing out comments, please.

What facts are you saying that I am lacking? Do I have experience to back up what I am saying, yes, many years. Do I train my own dogs to hunt, yes I do. Do I hunt hogs, yes I do. Do I hunt bears, yes i do. Do I enjoy hunting yes I do. Am I very successful, no. But I am out there having fun.

Do I hunt animals that are inside a fenced in area, that cannot escape, no I don't. Thats not hunting, thats just shooting when them caged hogs are run by ya, And thats my choice.

Oh and one more thing, I have childern older than you, sonny.

So how you like them facts, ;)

Edited by Patty
Guest Patty

I hunt in Catoosa WMA, and also in Cherokee WMA, just in case you ever wanted to hunt in the wildlife.

Edited by Patty
What facts are you saying that I am lacking? Do I have experience to back up what I am saying, yes, many years. Do I train my own dogs to hunt, yes I do. Do I hunt hogs, yes I do. Do I hunt bears, yes i do. Do I enjoy hunting yes I do. Am I very successful, no. But I am out there having fun.

Do I hunt animals that are inside a fenced in area, that cannot escape, no I don't. Thats not hunting, thats just shooting when them caged hogs are run by ya, And thats my choice.

Oh and one more thing, I have childern older than you, sonny.

So how you like them facts, :P

Look here the use of the word kid has no bering on age in what I said. I am 27, who am I going to call a kid? "Learn how to work, kid" is a phrase made famous by radio DJ that I listen too. If it ruffled your panties, then you must look over that. sorry.

I read the website and I didn't see where it said these animals are pets. Please post their statement where it says they are caged animals. However, if it does say that and you don't agree with it, then don't do it. It is that simple. Although a few people have mentioned how it is nothing like you are describing, but I guess forgetfulness comes with age. :D

Oh and one more thing, ;)

So how you like them lack of facts?

Edited by memphismason
added awesomeness

About the caged hunt thing....

Heck - If it were a tasty, tasty pig I would have no problem if someone brought a caged pig to my home in the bed of a pickup truck, backed up to my window, and let me shoot it without even getting out of bed. Would even pay them some money if they would butcher it too.

Don't care jack about the sporting aspect of hunting...I am in it only for the harvest. The sport aspect is just as stupid as buying a $20,000 boat to catch a $3 fish. I am in it purely for the food. Easier is better.

Let any naysayers put that in their pipe and smoke it!

Guest Patty
About the caged hunt thing....

Heck - If it were a tasty, tasty pig I would have no problem if someone brought a caged pig to my home in the bed of a pickup truck, backed up to my window, and let me shoot it without even getting out of bed. Would even pay them some money if they would butcher it too.

Don't care jack about the sporting aspect of hunting...I am in it only for the harvest. The sport aspect is just as stupid as buying a $20,000 boat to catch a $3 fish. I am in it purely for the food. Easier is better.

Let any naysayers put that in their pipe and smoke it!

Yeah to each the own right, if your so cheap, then you won't be going to any of those types of hunts.

And I am also wanting to know, do you have the most expensive firearms that you can afford, or do you have the cheapest quailty ones. ;)

Edited by Patty
Guest Patty
Look here the use of the word kid has no bering on age in what I said. I am 27, who am I going to call a kid? "Learn how to work, kid" is a phrase made famous by radio DJ that I listen too. If it ruffled your panties, then you must look over that. sorry.

I read the website and I didn't see where it said these animals are pets. Please post their statement where it says they are caged animals. However, if it does say that and you don't agree with it, then don't do it. It is that simple. Although a few people have mentioned how it is nothing like you are describing, but I guess forgetfulness comes with age. :D

Oh and one more thing, ;)

So how you like them lack of facts?

Well, if that is the only way you can explain the reason for using the word kid, I guess I will accept that then, "boy". And being that you have zero experience with what you are wanting to do, and because I live just alittle ways from this hunting perserve. I would have to agree with you, you don't have enough facts or experience to really know the difference, between one or the other.

Oh, if you want to catch some really nice looking wild fish, I saw some in BassPro, that you might be interested in too. :P

Guest Patty
I will give you an answer because we can. Also do a little research.

Unapproved commercial advertising should never be posted by members of our Community. This means that unless you have sought authorization from the TGO Staff to post a commercial advertisement for goods or services, you may not use advertising language in posts made to the forums. Specifically:

• No advertising language, links, banners, images, etc. in posts
  • No advertising language, links, banners, images, etc. in signatures
  • No sending unsolicited private messages (PMs) to members with any of the above in it

Authorized vendors are exempt from these restrictions.

Yeah to each the own right, if your so cheap, then you won't be going to any of those types of hunts.

And I am also wanting to know, do you have the most expensive firearms that you can afford, or do you have the cheapest quailty ones. B)

Actually I am so lazy that I sit on my back porch and only shoot the squirrels in the trees directly above me so that I don't have to walk down the stairs to the yard.

It gets even better. I skin them on the spot and throw the inedibles over the porch on the ground. Go back that night and shoot the racoons eating the squirrels.

I skin those and use what you can't eat to fish for catfish...again lazy as possible.

I use the fish that I catch, but don't want to eat, to bury in the backyard...to fertilize my garden. Which I grew from a $0.75 bag of seeds.

The gun you ask....It is a 80 year old $30 single shot Springfield 120a that I fixed up and have sitting by the door. Box of $1.50 .22 ammo will last me all year.

So yeah...I have cheap and lazy down pat.

Guest Patty
Actually I am so lazy that I sit on my back porch and only shoot the squirrels in the trees directly above me so that I don't have to walk down the stairs to the yard.

It gets even better. I skin them on the spot and throw the inedibles over the porch on the ground. Go back that night and shoot the racoons eating the squirrels.

I skin those and use what you can't eat to fish for catfish...again lazy as possible.

I use the fish that I catch, but don't want to eat, to bury in the backyard...to fertilize my garden. Which I grew from a $0.75 bag of seeds.

The gun you ask....It is a 80 year old $30 single shot Springfield 120a that I fixed up and have sitting by the door. Box of $1.50 .22 ammo will last me all year.

So yeah...I have cheap and lazy down pat.

So, you were really just stirring the pot then, lol. You wouldn't pay the fee to hunt at that perserve, but if I were to give you the dead hog, that my pair of $10,000.00 hog dogs cornered, that was in the back of my $40,000.00 Dodge Truck, I guess that would be ok, lol.

Yeah sturrin is all...The gist of the story is that pigs are a pest. If they get thick enough in these parts (Chattanooga) There will be plenty of people lining up to pack their freezer.

They aren't anywhere to be seen here - Yet.

See no reason to pay someone good money to shoot what is considered a pest/vermin/nuisance. Especially when pork is $1.99# at Bi-Lo.

I would travel a very short bit to help a landowner wanting to help rid themselves of pigs. Just wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for the honor of doing so. One would think that it would be the other way round.

Guest Letereat!

I say we take a trip to the Big Southfork,Cherokee or other state hunting areas and do some scouting/camping so as to be prepared for the aproaching season. Thats prob our best bet at making all this jawjacking into reality.