Your First Time

Is it this way for anyone else? My HCP came in this week so I am spending time finding where my IWB holster feels best. My 21oz handgun feels like a boat anchor on my hip displacing my pant waistband two inches right of my waist. Is it something you just get used to? Is there a position that carries a IWB better? Right now 4-5 o'clock seems my best choice.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

4:00 to 5:00 works best for me too.

What I have found in 12+ years of various carry methods, I've come to the conclusion that 75% of the battle is won in choosing a top quality, thick, stiff and tough leather belt.

Guest jackdm3

Using a gun belt?

Only 21 oz's? Made of plastic? Gotta be the belt. Go for 1 1/4" if you can afford it! :P

Edited by jackdm3
Guest Caveman

The belt is where it's at. Wear a good belt snug and it will make all the difference.

Edited by Caveman
Using a gun belt?

Only 21 oz's? Made of plastic? Gotta be the belt. Go for 1 1/4" if you can afford it! :P

Great question and thanks for asking. I have a 1 1/2" gun belt and MTAC IWB from comp-tac.com

Here is the belt...

Buckle.jpg

I wonder if my issue is the Velcro clip style. The clip goes over the pant and the Velcro attaches to the inside of the belt. It seems more weight is on the pant than necessary.

I was thinking a C clip on the belt itself my change things.

Guest jackdm3

Siweeusly. When you find the right gear, but still find the right belt is too tight and too loose, use a leather awl to place a new hole between holes for the perfect tightness. Don't worry about the new hole tearing or getting out of control. I did this to mine 10 years ago and it never widened.

Pics of holster? Not familiar with velcro stuff. All my gear is OWB.

Same holster as on comp-tac site photo I am providing, but with the Velcro clips below. The Velcro clip goes over the waist band and locks onto the Velcro lining of the belt. The selling point is that you can't see clips on the belt with a tucked in shirt.

MTAC.jpg

Velcro-Clips-New.jpg

Guest jackdm3

Great concealment choice. I do know that velcro wears out and gets mushy. Not that should happen for you just yet. Do you have an all-leather holster, IWB or OWB, to see if it's the new-style system that gives you problems?

Do you have an all-leather holster, IWB or OWB, to see if it's the new-style system that gives you problems?

This is my first holster so no alternate available to make the comparison.

Let me add the jeans are a little large in the waist and since it feels like the pant is carrying more weight than they should I will start with a tighter pair.

BTW: Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

4:00 to 5:00 works best for me too.

+1

It's been many years since the last time I left the house without a gun on me, but IIRC, carrying a gun is not something that feels "natural" at first. That doesn't mean it should be uncomfortable, but it'll take some getting used to. I prefer a good slim profile belt holster under a loose, untucked t-shirt or polo. But I have plenty of IWB holsters that are relatively comfy. I've never had the model holster you have, though, so I can't help you there.

Guest Glock23ForMe

First of All... Nice thread title... I was like "WHAT?!?!?!?!" and then I actually read the posts... hehe

I have a supertuck and put it at about 400 or 500. I also, as stated above, went and spent the "extra" money on a wider, more sturdy belt. My WWW was pretty crazy, cause I wasn't used to the feeling, now, if I'm at dinner and it's in the pistol box locked in my car, I feel like I'm naked.... Something you get used to. Congrats though.

Guest db99wj

Even with the Velcro it should not be resting completely on your pants. I use a gun belt, CTAC which is basically the same (MTAC has the leather backing that is suppose to make it more comfortable), and velcro clips. I had the velcro sewn into my belt by a seamstress. The peel and stick velcro will not hold up as well. I had to use some of the peel and stick because of weight loss.

Anyway, I don't like 4-5, I wear mine between 2 and 3 oclock, because I wear shorts and tshirts a lot on the weekends and it helps me print less. Comfort, I wear mine all day long, sitting in an office chair, going on inspections, and in the Jeep. A lot of sitting. It did take awhile to get comfortable, but it is an IWB holster. I wear it all day with out fatigue and it doesn't seem to pull on my pants, oh, I also wear dress pants during the week which aren't as rigid as jeans. I did have to get use to wearing my pants/belt "tight". I always wore them kinda loose before but had to get use to cinching down my belt.

Wear it, wear it often, there is an adjustment period. The Velcro strips are the best.

Pictures2150.jpg

Pictures2154.jpg

Pictures2157.jpg

.. My 21oz handgun feels like a boat anchor on my hip displacing my pant waistband two inches right of my waist. Is it something you just get used to?..

Sure.

It'll become an old friend and you won't feel whole if it's not there, if you EDC.

My XD9 SC weights two lbs exactly, loaded with 13+1.

- OS

Guest boatme99
Siweeusly. When you find the right gear, but still find the right belt is too tight and too loose, use a leather awl to place a new hole between holes for the perfect tightness. Don't worry about the new hole tearing or getting out of control. I did this to mine 10 years ago and it never widened.

I also did this a lot. But...I recently went to Tractor Supply and bought a wheel punch. Basicly a pair of pliers with a star wheel of 5 different size leather punches. Cheap version $10.00, good one, $26.00. In the horse leather section. Makes a nice round hole with no twisting, grunting, stabbing, etc.

Wish I got one years ago.

I can't stand anything but leather for a holster with a metal clip (IWB). Every thing else I've tried either slips, gun falls out easily, or comes off the belt with the draw.

BTW, when I first started it took about 2 weeks and a big bruise to get used to it being there.

You'll soon understand why we all have a drawer just for the holsters we thought would work for us.

Good luck, and welcome to the world. We'll teach you the secret handshake after your Wally Walk.

Edited by boatme99
First of All... Nice thread title... I was like "WHAT?!?!?!?!".

Oops, that was an accident. Yeah right! :D

Update:

The problem was the pants. They were just to loose.

Thanks for the photos db99wj.

I haven't tried to tuck my carry weapon in yet, but yours was completely invisible in that last picture.