• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest milkman

Hunters Reminded About 2010 Special Season Deer Changes | TN.gov Newsroom

<H2>Hunters Reminded About 2010 Special Season Deer Changes

Released on Fri, Jul 02, 2010 - 3:21 pm under

NASHVILLE --- Hunters are reminded by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency the special season fall turkey hunts and county deer quota hunts have been changed to non-quota hunts in many counties across the state.

The change will eliminate the need for hunters to obtain a quota permit prior to the hunt. Hunters will be able to participate in any non-quota hunt in a county where the hunt is established. A Type 094 non-quota permit will be required except for sportsmen license holders (including lifetime licenses) and individuals eligible for the landowner exemption.

The following tables (see below attachment) provide the dates each county is open for antlerless deer gun hunting and fall turkey hunting. If a sportsman wishes to participate in either of these seasons, he or she should simply find the county that is desired to hunt, check the dates the county is open, and follow the bag limits listed within the table. Hunters need to keep in mind; Unit L counties are open throughout the entire gun season with a three antlerless deer per day bag limit. If a county is not listed in the table (except Unit L deer), it is closed for antlerless gun or fall turkey hunting.

---TWRA---

</H2>
  • 3 weeks later...

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency

Several important changes were made to the hunting and trapping regulations for the 2010–2011 seasons. Several of the primary changes are:

Deer Hunting

• County antlerless deer and fall turkey quota hunts are now non-quota.
  • Check-in of big game now required on same calendar day of harvest (internet check-in available).
  • Six Unit B counties will have more antlerless muzzleloader opportunities as a result of a move from the 5-day to the 14-day antlerless hunt. The counties in which the changes apply are: Anderson, Claiborne, Grainger, Greene, Hancock and Johnson.

Bear Hunting

• Black bears harvested must be checked-in at county check stations, no internet check-in.
  • The bear archery season (no dogs) will be four weeks: Sep. 25–Oct. 22 in Blount, Carter, Cocke, Greene, Jefferson (east of Hwy. 411), Johnson, Monroe, Polk (east of Hwy. 411 and north of Hwy 64), Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington counties.

Hog Hunting

• Four new wild hog hunts (with dogs) have been created for north Cumberland Plateau counties: Cumberland, Fentress, Overton and Pickett.
  • A new wild hog hunt (with dogs) has been created in Monroe and Polk counties. Also, in the same two counties is the establishment of a bear dog training season that will run from Sep. 9–14.
  • An unlimited bag limit on wild hogs has been set for the South Cherokee WMA.

Waterfowl Hunting

• A computerized drawing system is being implemented for duck blind sites at Bogota and Thorny Cypress WMAs in Dyer County and the four Chickamauga WMA units (Candies Creek, Johnson Bottoms, Rogers Creek, and Yellow Creek). Quota application period runs from Sep. 8–Oct. 13.

Miscellaneous

• Regulations may vary for handgun carry permit holders.
  • A new nonresident junior all-game annual license (Type 086) and a nonresident 7-day junior all-game license. (Type 085) have been established. (Available October).
  • Three new states (Missouri, Virginia, North Dakota) and the remainder of Illinois were added to the Chronic Wasting Disease importation laws.
  • Treestands must be marked with the hunter’s TWRA identification number on all WMAs.
  • Scott County is part of Region IV.
  • Monroe County is part of Region III.

Guest GunTroll

Oops. I guess I'm glad MO wasn't added until this year. So to educate me where does the spinal column officially start on a deer? Or at least where is the state saying it starts?

Oops. I guess I'm glad MO wasn't added until this year. So to educate me where does the spinal column officially start on a deer? Or at least where is the state saying it starts?

I usually bone the meat at deer camp, so I would be ok there. However, If I kill a trophy, then I will have to either have the head mounted in MO or atleast have the skull cleaned and shipped to me. Good to know, I don't want my trophy taken or the fines involved with this. I don't throw my carcasses out in the woods anyway, but I guess there are lots of folks that would/do.

Guest GunTroll

Thats what I'll have to do for now on. The pat two mounts I have had done were done in MO anyways. I ran short on time last year and drove the carcases here to TN to have processed. Not again I guess. Oh well just helping the local economy in MO. Guntroll economic stimulus at work!

Side note.....Whiskey, you going back to MO this year? Same spot as before?

Thats what I'll have to do for now on. The pat two mounts I have had done were done in MO anyways. I ran short on time last year and drove the carcases here to TN to have processed. Not again I guess. Oh well just helping the local economy in MO. Guntroll economic stimulus at work!

Side note.....Whiskey, you going back to MO this year? Same spot as before?

Probably. I know that my hunting buddies that go on this trip with me have some craziness in their lives this year, so I am leaving it up to them. I hope they work it out so we can go.