Russian 5.45 X 39 Questions

R1100R

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Polish Tantal AK-74 in 5.45. What would you like to know about it? You're welcome to shoot it if you can meet me sometime.

Polish_Tantal_AK-74_9-1-07_1.jpg

P.S. This rifle is tentatively for sale, if somebody wants it more than I do. Comes as you see plus a single-point sling, 2000rd of ammo, and 6 mags (steel, not the crappy polymer ones).

Great rifle. Sights suck.

It really needs an optic to take advantage of it's accuracy. I tried it with a cheap BSA red-dot recently and it would give an AR which cost twice as much a run for its money out to 300yd.

Ammo is cheap, which is a plus... and the rifle is super rugged. Trigger is better than any other AK I've tried. It's better than a standard AR trigger, for sure. Fit and finish on the Tantals is top notch compared to other AK imports.

I personally didn't want the side-folder version, because they tend to catch on things at inopportune times, and aren't very ergonomic.

What are you asking for your rifle?

It and everything I'm selling with it (ammo, accessories) is worth a grand, easily. I'll entertain offers, with that in mind... But I don't have a firm number in my head just yet, there aren't enough of these on the used market to draw a line in the sand. But with 5.45 ammo prices remaining pretty consistent while everything else goes up... they have only become more desirable.

I am a 7.62 fan myself. That said, the 5.45 is a good round and very comparable to the 5.56 and 5.45 ammo is still relatively cheap. Rabbi had one in his shop that was sweet! I don't know if he still has it or not but it was the nicest Century Arms gun I had ever seen! Atlantic Firearms sells a couple versions of these(If I remember correctly that is were Molon got his) here are the links:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=455

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=216

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=367

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=483

Molon I thought you were getting an Eotech for that thing? Now you are selling rifles. Sounds like you have your eyes on a new toy?

...Molon I thought you were getting an Eotech for that thing? Now you are selling rifles. Sounds like you have your eyes on a new toy?

I will get an EoTech for it... This is just one of those instances where I'd consider an offer, if somebody else wanted the gun.

I will get an EoTech for it... This is just one of those instances where I'd consider an offer, if somebody else wanted the gun.

Well you just sold your Mosin so I was just wondering if you had your eyes on something new.:eek:

Well you just sold your Mosin so I was just wondering if you had your eyes on something new.:eek:

I know what I would get to replace the AK... and it wouldn't be a rifle. But, I'm not dead set on changing up anything at the moment.

The Mosin was a good shooter that simply needed a different owner... one who would keep the barrel warm. I have never been one to keep a tool that I was certain I would never use.

Guest nitrous_mike

I have been looking for one but I have been having trouble with the local dealers not being able to get one that will accept a high cap mag. Thats just how my luck is when I want something and actually have the money for it I never can seam to get what I really want. I know atlantic has some good guns but I guess I can wait if I can get the same thing from a local dealer for a few hundred less. The closest I can come is getting one from Century Arms but I am not too sure about how well their guns are made and there is not a for sure date on when I can get one either.