Evapo-Rust

Guest nicemac

Guest nicemac

If you have anything you need to get rust off of, try Evapo-Rust. I had an old (Savage) Springfield Model 53B that was horribly rusted. I have been working on it for a week trying to get rid of rust. I tried steel wool, sandpaper, wire brush and various penetrating oils, etc…. I tried some Boeshield Rust Free that does a decent job on steel tool tables. Didn't touch it–this rust was severe.

A friend at church Sunday told me about Enviro-Rust. I read some online reviews yesterday and picked a gallon up last night on the way home. I made a tray and soaked all of the metal parts from the gun in it. After two hours, WOW! It came out with no rust–anywhere. No scraping, no scrubbing, no nothing, just soaked it. It was in really bad shape and had some pitting. Of course the pitting is there, but the pits are clean! Never seen anything work like this stuff in my life.

Edited by nicemac
typo
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac
Wow, very cool, thanks for the tip. Do parts need to soak or can it be applied with a brush to a surface?

Just wondering about larger items with surface rust...

Officially, you need to soak. Guys on a car restoration forum I found said things could be brushed, albeit slower to work. YMMV.

Guest nicemac
Will it strip the bluing?

Yes, bluing will be gone as well. Use only if re-bluing is warranted. If rust is very bad, you will need to re-blue in most cases anyway…

Officially, you need to soak. Guys on a car restoration forum I found said things could be brushed, albeit slower to work. YMMV.

Killer, thanks. Sounds like an ideal solution to some common issues, not just guns. Thanks again!

Guest nicemac
Killer, thanks. Sounds like an ideal solution to some common issues, not just guns. Thanks again!

After it did such a good job on the rifle, I put some rusted drill bits and other tools in it. Since they only had surface rust, they look like new.