Gun bans

Today's gun laws make weapons so available that virtually anyone can build their own "credit card army." The danger presented by the current situation lies not only with the threat posed by potential foreign terrorist attacks, but also because there is a palpable, growing unrest among domestic fringe groups and individuals who claim they are preparing for the SAR (Second American Revolution) in reaction to developments such as enactment of the Patriot Act, recent court decisions expanding the government's eminent domain powers, and a general growing distrust of government. It was just this sort of discontent that led to the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. The VPC works every day to implement policies that will protect public safety and help prevent terrorists from getting guns.
Is it just me? Do you see an easy solution to this "problem"?

QUIT SELLING OUT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC!!!!

Our founding fathers saw a similar trend... They insured that we, the American public, had the tools at hand to overthrow an oppressive, tyrannical, government.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, a growing general distrust of the government. I guess if they give us a reason to start trusting them again, then maybe I will. From what I have seen of our local government, it is about time to call in the national guard and take the city away from the criminals that are running it. Unfortunately, they keep getting elected for obvious reasons.

Guest GT_Rat

Our founding fathers saw a similar trend... They insured that we, the American public, had the tools at hand to overthrow an oppressive, tyrannical, government.

Damn right Mike. Too many people want to have our RIGHT to bear arms ride solely on personal protection. The portion quoted above is the true reason for our right to bear arms. Personal protection and hunting are simply by-products.

Guest db99wj
Gee, a growing general distrust of the government. I guess if they give us a reason to start trusting them again, then maybe I will. From what I have seen of our local government, it is about time to call in the national guard and take the city away from the criminals that are running it. Unfortunately, they keep getting elected for obvious reasons.

What, you think King Willie is corrupt?:(

Howto pick a politition?? if he's pro gun control then we don't him or Hillary

Jackdog

:lol: Huh?

And on a side not, you like Jack Russels or something "jackdog"??

Guest jackdog

Actually I adopted a badly abused blue healer 7 yrs ago. We had to have is right eye removed, so I named him the one eyed jack of hearts. that kind of morphed into jackdog for the computer. Most loyal buddie I've found in a long time. But hey jack russels are cool to. Hmm King willie corrupt, Hell I think they all are corrupt. If not that then they certainly are control by there corporate masters.

Jackdog

Guest EasilyObsessed

Is it just me? Do you see an easy solution to this "problem"?

QUIT SELLING OUT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC!!!!

I think this ban is just an attempt to boost gun sales :rolleyes:

In the past three weeks I have picked up an unfired Yugo SKS, a Remington 870 (which is about to have a 11 round capacity), and today I purchased a Bushmaster AR15. I also convinved my roomate to pick up a Remington 700 :)

Possibility of Ban = 2000 dollars more of guns in my house

In other words, my checkbook hates the government ;) (and if they pass this stupid ban, so will I)

Guest Ghostrider
...help prevent terrorists from getting guns...

My BS allergy is acting up. They can't even keep a couple of 16 and 17 year olds from getting weapons.

Terrorists have very little interest in what we "can" own. They want automatic weapons, RPGs, mortars, and mines. Good God, do these people never even listen to the drivel they write?

Lots of good points floating around here. Interesting stuff. My 2 cents:

1) The VPC take an interesting twist for a "gun-ban" organization -the argument that guns in the wrong hands are a threat to public health. An slight alteration in the usual sophistry.

2) Driving to the range with a buddy today, we were talking gun politics. (I'm so liberal that I think Hilary is too conservative, she's a conservative who thinks Bush is a sell-out to the left, so you can imagine...) One thing she said to me really resonated: "There is a fine line between keeping guns out of the bad guy's hands and keeping them out of the good guy's hands."

3) If we could walk that fine line, I think most gun-ban issues would simply go away. It seems to me that most "criminals with guns" laws are REACTIVE, not proactive. In other words they increase penalties for felons having guns, but they do nothing to keep them from getting guns in the first place. Meanwhile, anything that makes it harder to get a gun is a PROACTIVE step, but hurts the good guys more than the bad guys, since the bad guys get guns through various illicit means.

4) It seems to me the ideal state of affairs would allow Joe/Jane Goodguy to buy a gun at their leisure, while somehow making it nearly impossible for Joe/Jane Badguy to get a gun. Anyone have any idea how we might go about doing that? If you do, please run for President. Or at least create a bi-partisan think tank to issue a report that both sides will read. I'd much rather expend all this energy making good use of my rights rather than defending them from politicians looking to sign on to "feel good" legislation that sounds good to the public but solves no actual problems.

5) The anti-gun movement is based on FEAR. Fear of criminals, fear of "internal terrorists" (new term for the "overthrow the govt by force" crowd), fear of guns themselves, etc. Education can remove or diminish that fear. For example, when TN passed the carry permit law, many feared blood in the streets. Has that happened? Nope. In fact, violent crime is down significantly over the past 15 years in many states/cities. I'd like to advocate Critical Thinking Skills ("How to think 101") in all public schools. That would be a start. If we could eliminate the bad cause/effect argument from modern political rhetoric, we'd have come a long way.

Len,

have you noticed all the pro gun legislation thats actually PASSING in various states and in congress?

I think the little fiasco with Jimmy zumbro really made the legislators wake up and look around.

they KNOW that there's a large contingent of the american public that will respond immediately when something like that happens..and they know it came from individuals..that was an instance when corporations responded immediately to the INDIVIDUALS.

I don't know about you but I like it!

hello to all from wyoming (where they just passed legislation that allows for firearm carry in vehicles during bow season!)