Where to get the best deal trading in Knoxville.

Wazzu

This is not a solicitation or offer to buy, sell or trade anything. Just looking for some advice.

I'm looking to sell or trade a handgun I bought last December for a new handgun. I live in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville area. Is there a gun shop you would highly recommend for this or would I be better off waiting for the gunshow at the Expo Center nexrt month?

I'm not giving the makes/models of the guns in question because I'm not a benefactor member and don't want to violate forum rules.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No gun shop will ever give as much as you can get yourself. They have to be able to resell it for a profit.

I just sold an XD-40 and the way I did that was to do some research to see what a used gun is bringing. Then went to the gun show last weekend and had 5 people ask about the gun while I just walked around with the case without anything saying I was looking to sell. I sold it at my price within 30 minutes.

Guest bkelm18

Unless you can get an absolutely awesome deal, don't trade with a gun shop. They're in it to make money. You can almost always get a better deal just selling it outright or doing a private trade.

Guest Ronbo

I sometimes trade at gunshops if we can make a good deal. I don't know the name of the place, but there is a gunshop on broadway north of the duckpond on the west side of the road who offered me a very fair trade in price on my old Glock 17. I get the best money for my weapons by selling them at gunshows or on forums however. Whatever you do, don't trade at Gander Mountain! You might talk to the good folks at Coal Creek Armory also.

Selling to a private party is the way to go to get the most money, especially if it is a common gun. Dealers aren't going to give you as much and even less if they already have a table full of the same gun. Follow a few auctions on Gunbroker or on here to determine what is a fair price. You don't want to screw yourself or not sell the firearm.

Also, if you have any upgrades on the firearm remove them. Upgrades generally will not add any value to a buyer who will likely customize it to his tastes anyways. Then after you remove the upgrades you can sell them seperately and probably make more than if they went with the firearm.

When you say you want to trade for a "new" gun, do you mean new or new to you? If you are wanting to trade for a used, yet new to you, firearm you might be able to work a trade out with another seller. This site is a great site for those who like to trade and barter. You will probably get a decent deal on here even if you do have to pay for a 6 month subscription in order to post your firearm.

Dolomite

A GUN SHOW is the best place. I traded a nice, clean S&W 642 plus a small amount of cash for a beautiful Ruger GP100 stainless .357 about 2 months ago. The show that was at Chilhowee Park in Knoxville. The whole deal, including time to get in the door and find a buyer took about 15 minutes.

Guest dubaholic2

i have to agree with the gun show crowd. i went to the last gun show in maryville with a super blackhawk .44 and sold it within 15 minutes without advertising. then traded that cash and a p32 and went home with a brand new xdm .45.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smithandwesson

Dont ever do business with randys guns and knives, the guy is a prick and doesnt know jack about firearms. i myself and several people i know have left that place with a bad taste in our mouths, wait for a gunshow. If u dont beleive me, stop in there and price some of the pricks ammo, youll see what i mean. He has some of those ****ty nylon shoulder holsters that you can get for $25, he sells them for $50. I dont care to help a shop make some money but thats bull****!

Dont ever do business with randys guns and knives, the guy is a prick and doesnt know jack about firearms. i myself and several people i know have left that place with a bad taste in our mouths, wait for a gunshow. If u dont beleive me, stop in there and price some of the pricks ammo, youll see what i mean. He has some of those ****ty nylon shoulder holsters that you can get for $25, he sells them for $50. I dont care to help a shop make some money but thats bull****!

He is the largest source for rimfire ammo within 100 miles easily. Granted it is a little pricey but you can't find any larger of a selection than what he has.

Some of his other stuff is high but some of his other stuff is pretty reasonable especially if you can't find it any where else in town. I have seen him lowball people before but not too bad. He offered a guy $200 for a gun that could not be shot and even if it could be repaired it was in 32 rimfire which would have been impossible to find ammo for.

I have never had a problem with their attitude and have been in there dozens of times. Never seen an attitude other than when people came in there with an attitude. For those people they did deserve the response they got.

By all means post the link for a $25 shoulder holster please.

Dolomite