intro to hunting around Nashville?

Guest BritishShooter

Guest BritishShooter

Hey fellow shooters,

I am a British student at Vanderbilt University and have lived in the US for 2 years now. I do a lot of hunting back home and would really like to get involved in some regular hunting in TN around the Nashville area so would any of you guys mind giving me some info/advice on whats available and who i should talk to?

Just to give some background info on myself I own a 12 gauge shotgun and .270 hunting rifle at home, and frequently hunt Deer, predators (fox's mainly) and also really enjoy pheasant and duck shooting. I really have no idea what is available in TN and would love to give some new things a try! i am getting my TN hunting license soon which will allow me to buy my own rifle and shotgun in the US which I am really excited about as well.

Any information and comments much appreciated,

Thanks for all your help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Well, there are plenty of species to hunt here. Many are abundant as well. Your biggest hurdle is land. There is public hunting land opportunity out there. Private permission given land will be harder to secure but is preferred.

I am not from TN and moved here recently myself from CO/WY area. TN's hunting regulations are a bit confusing even to life long TN hunters so be extra careful and try to ask as many questions as you can about specific regs/laws.

I believe we have another UK'r Robtatto(?) who may chime in and point you along your way.

Welcome!

Guest BritishShooter

Thanks for your response GunTroll,

In the UK hunting on Public land is forbidden so Im pretty used to not going for that option when looking for places to hunt. Where im from it usually works that you know someone and have permission to shoot over there land or you are a member of a hunting club and pay a fee to hunt over the land they have access to or pay for hunting through guided companies.

I have heard from friends that trying to get permission to shoot over someones land when you arent local is basically impossible, so I would be considering looking at clubs or guided companies around Nashville. Anyone got any suggestions?

Guest GunTroll

You need to hunt turkey before you return home. If you indeed do that is.

I got nothing for you as to a guided service but I'm sure they are out there. Google it. Hillbilly guides have to exist :lol:.

Guest brandon_pitt

Hunting on public lands in the state is generally the best option for the non-native. It is perfectly legal and there are quite a few acres to hunt however, because it is open to hunt, the land is over hunted and you will not find anything trophy. As far as duck hunting, I am unaware of any TWRA(public) land that has waterfowl hunting available. Good luck and have fun!!!!

A lot of WMA's offer a variety of small game, big game and waterfowl hunting opportunities Several WMA's in the middle Tennessee area (Cheatham) being one offers outstanding duck hunting (check to see if a draw is required) and some pretty nice "wall hanger" bucks have came from there. Look at the online version of the hunting regs. There is plenty of good hunting around, it will take a little bit of leg work to learn it.

• 4 weeks later...

a draw is required at Cheatham. It is held the first Saturday in August so time is near. I'd be willin to give you the info and the "where to" for the draw if you'll PM me BritishShooter. There is also 21,800 acres of public deer hunting there. And while it's not as "prime" as some private lands once you purchase your permits you have just as much right as the next fellow to the best places you can find there. (it's not all bad, I live about 10 miles from there and it's only about 35 minutes from Vandy)

• 2 weeks later...