High Standard/Dan Wesson .357 Revolver

onebad7up

I purchased a High Standard .357 revolver today. It has the 2" barrel as well as the 6". It is in very good condition. Does anyone have any experience with one of these.

Online sites say its one of the most accurate revolvers made. :confused:

I will post some pics as soon as I get back to my camera.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a high standard or a dan wesson? I didnt think there was a joint effort anywhere.

The Dans vary considerable in part because the company has had a really checkered history. Some of them are very good quality and others just suck the big one. The cylinder gap is tighter on the Dans than on the Smiths, thus affording more accuracy.

In a 2" revolver accuracy is probably an afterthought more than anything else.

Looking forward to pics though.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dw357.html

This is the website I was using to read up on it.

"This is the Dan Wesson medium frame revolver, upon which the company was founded. These guns were designed by John Lewis, and initially manufactured by High Standard."

The 2" barrel says High Standard on it but the 6" barrel has Dan Wesson on it.

I would imagine that the 2" is not very accurate but I would like to take it out with the 6".

Guest Grout

High Standard made the first Dan Wessons and the frames were so marked.Just like in the picture.And assuming the frame is in good condition it is most likely worth more to a DW collector.Also that web page listed is a great resource for DW owners.

An old timer at work told me that the Dan Wesson name was added later on to the High Standard revolver.

If I can get some free time next week I plan to take it out to the range. This would be the first time I shot a .357 out of a 2" barrel.

:D

High Standard made the first Dan Wessons and the frames were so marked.Just like in the picture.And assuming the frame is in good condition it is most likely worth more to a DW collector.Also that web page listed is a great resource for DW owners.

Wow, learn something new every day, I sure didn't know that tidbit of info, thanks.:D

An old timer at work told me that the Dan Wesson name was added later on to the High Standard revolver.

If I can get some free time next week I plan to take it out to the range. This would be the first time I shot a .357 out of a 2" barrel.

;)

Let us know how she shoots. Sorry about the miss-information.

Guest scarabatwork

My dad owned a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum revolver for over a decade. I shot the gun hundreds of times and Dad more than that, I'm sure. The revolver never ceased to amaze people at the ranges with its accuracy or its smooth action.

My dad sold his a couple of years before he passed away. In all honesty, after so many years of shooting hot loads through it, it was beginning to show some wear. Understand that, when I say that, it was far from shot out, it was simply showing some wear.

If I had a chance, I would pick one of these up in a second. Some of my fondest memories are going to the range with him to shoot that pistol. It was as strong and reliable as he always was.

Sorry for waxing poetic, but just seeing one again brings back a lot of fond memories at the range.

My dad owned a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum revolver for over a decade. I shot the gun hundreds of times and Dad more than that, I'm sure. The revolver never ceased to amaze people at the ranges with its accuracy or its smooth action.

My dad sold his a couple of years before he passed away. In all honesty, after so many years of shooting hot loads through it, it was beginning to show some wear. Understand that, when I say that, it was far from shot out, it was simply showing some wear.

If I had a chance, I would pick one of these up in a second. Some of my fondest memories are going to the range with him to shoot that pistol. It was as strong and reliable as he always was.

Sorry for waxing poetic, but just seeing one again brings back a lot of fond memories at the range.

Awesome. I hope it shoots as well as I have heard.

If you are serious, everything I have is for sale.

The 6" barrel is NOT for that firearm, but because both were designed with the Dan Wesson style, they will work together. It was produced by Dan Wesson for High Standard (1974-1975).

According to the Blue Book Of Gun Values, it's worth $300/Max.

Happy shooting.

So are you saying they were different guns?

From the sound of it, this is the just the early DW.