Coyote Hunting

Guest stevenhman

Guest stevenhman

Hello everyone!

I have a friend that really wants to hunt coyote but, he lives in Nashville and doesn't own land nor does he know anyone with land. Do any of you know the best way to go about this?

Also, I do not have a hunting license and according to the TN Veterans Affairs website (Tennessee Department of Veteran Affairs) since I am a 'disabled veteran' I get a free hunting and fishing license. Where would I go to get it?

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the TWRA about your license. According to what I saw in a quick search, it requires a $10 Type 198 license -

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Hunting License Fees

I have never set out to specifically hunt coyotes, I have always considered them a target of opportunity.

I am sure, if you ask around, that there are plenty of farmers that would love to have someone thin their coyote herd.

Guest BungieCord

You've pretty much got to befriend a farmer or rancher or other land owner. There are WMAs and state-owned forest land you can hunt on but they tend not to be as productive because they don't have a concentrated food source for the coyotes like a goat or sheep farm does. Unless it happens to be land that butts up against a goat farm. But a typical coyote has about a 25-sq mile "patrol area" so there's no place you can completely rule out, not even the town square. They're liable to turn up anywhere --literally-- but the odds are better if you're staking out their natural food source.

You'd think farmers would be eager for you to eradicate them for them but in my experience, they are very skittish about turning loose a stranger to hunt coyotes on their place, especially if they're not losing stock to them. It's like they'd sooner risk losing stock to predation than to an incompetent hunter. Or maybe I come across like some low-life hooligan, I dunno.

And it's no use trying to convince them they're giving the animals a "safe haven" for preying on the neighbor's stock, which is exactly why they've gotten reestablished here in the past 20-30 years, and why we won't ever get rid of them. Coyotes are too elusive, too crafty, too mobile, and they learn from experience where there is no hunting pressure. You can't hunt the same spots too regularly because the coyotes are smart enough to make out your hunting patterns and they're not likely to fall for the same trick twice. Which means you need lots of different places to hunt. Which means finding an obliging farmer is almost as frustrating as getting the coyote to come to your call.

Edited by BungieCord
Guest stevenhman

Thanks for the advice!

I actually put up an ad on craigslist and got a response almost immediately.

I have used a coyote call in California before and it attracted quite a bit of 4 legged attention. Lots of calling back and that night there were lots of coyotes in the pause (artillery pause) - we were in the desert out in 29 Palms.

From the little that I have read the best plan of action seems to be to go scout out the area and then come back later at either dusk or pre-dawn. Apparently this lady is having some chicken thieves.

Guest TnRebel
Thanks for the advice!

I actually put up an ad on craigslist and got a response almost immediately.

I have used a coyote call in California before and it attracted quite a bit of 4 legged attention. Lots of calling back and that night there were lots of coyotes in the pause (artillery pause) - we were in the desert out in 29 Palms.

From the little that I have read the best plan of action seems to be to go scout out the area and then come back later at either dusk or pre-dawn. Apparently this lady is having some chicken thieves.

When I was stationed at 29 stumps we uses to have yotes come right in to the base around the motor pool and the trash dump :)

Guest daytripper

try this out........Land Between The Lakes.....you'll need regular hunting licenses AND LBL permit, which you can pick up at any market near there..check out their website and read the regs....Also, the month of February ONLY, they allow centerfire hunting for yotes all month.....Also check out TNPredators.com for more good predator hunting info........if you have any questions feel free to ask...happy hunting! And definitely use a call!

Guest daytripper

And for DAV, TWRA says....type 198, $10 fee, for 30%ers war connected or 100%ers service connected...for a permanent hunting and fishing license only available by application and calling their office.....I'm a DAV too, put don't meet the cryteria.....and THANKS for your service!

Guest Appalachian

Thers sevral gents that mite can help ya out onTNPredators.Com >> Tennessee Coyote fox Bobcat Hunting › › Forums Centre Block , pred hunt'n is what they do on here & try Contact TnDeer.com. Tennessee's #1 Deer Hunting Web Site :: The Best Campfire On The Internet :: < they have a pred hunt'n thread so you can dig out some info anyway.

I've talked with farmers & they're kinda unpredictable, last week on told me that he liked his coyotes because they eat deer & ground hogs, so I took that as a NO.

try this out........Land Between The Lakes.....you'll need regular hunting licenses AND LBL permit, which you can pick up at any market near there..check out their website and read the regs....Also, the month of February ONLY, they allow centerfire hunting for yotes all month.....Also check out TNPredators.com for more good predator hunting info........if you have any questions feel free to ask...happy hunting! And definitely use a call!

You may also get an LBL Hunt Permit and/or Backwoods Camping Permit at any license agent that sells hunting/ fishing permits.

take up turkey hunting, I kill more coyotes while turkey hunting that any other time. I must sound like a turkey in "distress" when I call. I have had many coyotes come sneaking into my turkey decoy(s). #4 copperplated turkey loads make good coyote medicine. I did get a really nice one last year in KY while deer hunting though.