Question About ammo purchase?

Guest eyebedam

Guest eyebedam

OK I noticed something today that I never have noticed before. I bought ammo @ 2 different places. Wal mart & Bass pro. I was looking at my reciept when I got home & wal mart had a extra charge for .10cents & next to it it read ammo fee. So I looked at my Bass pro reciept & it didnt have any extra charges. Is this just something that wal mart does or what. I dont really care since its only .10cents but if its no law or tax or anything like that Im just curious why they do it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sling

I asked someone at walmart about that once and was told that walmart didnt incorporate the 10 cent ammo tax into their price tag until they actually rung you up...(which is why it shows on the reciept) if that makes sense. I think that price is already in the price tag at bass pro... which is why it doesnt show. Clear as mud?

Guest db99wj

Wrong, Walmart keeps track of you and your spending habits and where you spend, and they saw that you bought something that competes with what they sell so they added a $.10 fee to recoup what they could have made off of you....:woohoo:

Guest eyebedam

I will admit I hate Wal Mart this was the first time in 4 years I ve even been in one of there stores. It just so happened that I was delivering some copper right next to the new wal mart in white house & Im always seeing you guys talk about goin there for ammo. I really didnt notice any major savings either. The ammo I got there was actually 1.00 cheaper @ bass pro thats why I bought some there also. Plus I got some self defense ammo there & some fishing equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boonie

this is off the subject but i went today and bought a box of 9mm luger 115 gr. tcj ammo. they are for target shootin, the question i have is they are supposed to be new in the box but i was checking them out and found that they was not new. is this common because you can see were they have been reloaded and the name on the shell casing are different. but the name on the box is Atlanta Arms Ammo. i dont want to say the name of the store untill i find out that this is wrong, or if i find out that this is common for gun shops.

Guest darkstar
this is off the subject but i went today and bought a box of 9mm luger 115 gr. tcj ammo. they are for target shootin, the question i have is they are supposed to be new in the box but i was checking them out and found that they was not new. is this common because you can see were they have been reloaded and the name on the shell casing are different. but the name on the box is Atlanta Arms Ammo. i dont want to say the name of the store untill i find out that this is wrong, or if i find out that this is common for gun shops.

Atlanta Arms ammo is factory re-manufactured stuff, not new. As far as I know it has a good reputation. A lot of gun stores sell re-manufactured stuff as it's a bit cheaper. If you want new you can always look for WWB or Blazer...it's about as cheap as any ammo is gonna be for new stuff.

Guest Boonie
Atlanta Arms ammo is factory re-manufactured stuff, not new. As far as I know it has a good reputation. A lot of gun stores sell re-manufactured stuff as it's a bit cheaper. If you want new you can always look for WWB or Blazer...it's about as cheap as any ammo is gonna be for new stuff.

that is what i wanted to know thanks. but looks like they would have asked me if i wanted reloaded or new,or had it marked on the box i plan on reloading later when i get a reloading set.

Guest darkstar

Well....I don't reload but it's my impression that brass can be used multiple times if it's in good condition...perhaps one of the reloaders can comment on this, I don't want to give you bad info.....If you look at Atlanta Ammo's website SOME of their stuff is new brass, it is marked as such on their price list but thats mostly match grade stuff so I guess it would be pretty pricey.

Like I said before go with some Winchester White Box or Blazers if you want new stuff. You may save a buck or two with re-loads but if you are worried about it whats a couple of bucks.....again, no expert but I would guess that most of the factory re-loaded stuff is quite safe, they don't want liability problems, and they don't stay in business by selling bad stuff. But ask around...Personally I use WWB for practice....or the range rounds for sale where I shoot (Independence, Mag-Tech, Fiocchi, etc) but I have used factory reloads before, usually stuff from Georgia Arms....seems like it's good stuff.

Guest sling

If you're reloading 9mm that brass will last pretty much forever. Most straight walled pistol cases will last a long time... especially .45 due to the low pressure. Higher pressure rounds and bottle necked cases such as the .357 sig wont last as long.

Guest Boonie

i am not worried about reloaded ammo i just though i was buying new, hey it is not bad for the price. i plan on reloading my own after i get a reloading set. i already have my reloading dies. a long time ago i had a rcbs reloader and i sold it. did not think i would need it back then but i wished i had still had it now.

There isn't any reason not to buy factory reloaded ammo. The major commercial reloaders have better QC than some of the new ammo manufacturers. The oposite is true of using reloads produced by an individual, I have reloaded for my own use for 30 years but would never shoot ammo that somebody else reloaded at home.