Gobble Gobble

Another bump for getting closer to turkey time. This will be my first time out. Shooting a 3 1/2 load and will be hunting in Maury County. Wish me luck! This past deer season I saw some huge flocks in the area that I plan to hunt so hopefully they've hung around.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of good birds on the property. I seen a couple of Toms the other day that had about 10 inch beards. Since I'm getting ready to seed the food plots, I'm going to start chasing them off again. I don't turkey hunt anymore, so I just like chasing them off on the 4 wheeler, as I do not like them things!

if anyone in the clarksville area is feeling overwhelmed by birds or just feeling generous, i can help thin the flock for you :)

might try to take one with a bow this year if the field next to my office turns into a viable hunting spot.

I have a bunch of good birds on the property. I seen a couple of Toms the other day that had about 10 inch beards. Since I'm getting ready to seed the food plots, I'm going to start chasing them off again. I don't turkey hunt anymore, so I just like chasing them off on the 4 wheeler, as I do not like them things!

K-bug doesn't have any desire to hunt them? Lana has a 20ga turkey gun she can use. We will probably hunt on Saturday of the youth hunt, but your welcome to it till well after opening weekend. Lana will be out of town for spring break.

K-Bug hasn't shown any desire to hunt them. She went a couple of years ago and really didn't care for it. She'd rather fish, pig hunt and hunt spring squirrel. Maybe she'll show some interest now that pig hunting is out. Who knows....

I got my gun zero'd. I got my daughter's gun ready. I got all my camo dipped in permethrin. I scouted today and found 3 flocks on 3 different pieces of public land. Found one big boss gobbler. I am hopeful I can get my daughter on a gobbler for the youth hunt next weekend. As turkey hunters know, nothing is a given when turkey hunting, but I am hopeful.

Hopefully it will work out for you and her. My experience on public land is that for every turkey you find, another hundred turkey hunters will be hunting him on opening day. That's what is bad about it. I have spent so much time and money turkey hunting for someone else to blow the game for me it's sickening. I now currently have some of the best private land in Stewart county, full of turkeys, and can't stand the thought of hunting them. I guess the bad keeps coming back. We'll see though....they ain't going away on their own like the pigs are (I bet ya'll was waiting in that huh?)

Good day to all....

Dave

how about some recipes?

Since I don't care for Turkey breast (Whiskey cooks them real good I hear), wild turkey legs and thighs cook about as good as an old tennis shoe...at least as tough. I think TGO member "Whiskey" had some good recipes. Maybe he'll chime in .

Guest adamoxtwo

Watch them from the back deck but haven't heard them gobbeling at all. Couple nice Toms back there in a flock about 20 or so. This one Fella's Beard hits the ground and judging his size he bigger than a medium sized dog. Nobody hunts that area because of the houses. Great spot for a bow hunt......all I need ot the time to go out.

As nice as the weather has been, they ought to be fired up! I may, I just may (this kills me to say), hunt them things this year. I don't care to eat them, so I really hate to kill them....but they aren't going away on their own. We'll see.....

Most folks around here just fry the breast. Since I'm a "Leg and Thigh" man and not into the breast....It's a waste for me to kill one. Ones I have gotten in the past I gave away. I'll take a hen or two with bow. They seem to taste a little better, but not much...

Anyway, what I typed last weekend was...

We cut the breast out for human consumption. The legs and thighs go into a crock pot for the dogs. We cut the breast in strips, soak it in milk for few hours, roll it in flour and pan fry it. Then we make gravy from the pan drippings. A little salt and pepper is about all the seasonings I put on it.

Fried wild turkey fingers with gravy is a traditional camping meal for us. Each year we do a weekend long family/friends camping trip that includes a supper of fried fish and fried turkey breast and all the fixins. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it.

• Like 1

Heading out Saturday to do some scouting. Will be checking out both public land and some private land that I have access to. Should be interesting as it's the same areas that I hunt and it was loaded with turkeys this past deer hunting season.

place i had been offered to hunt for deer last fall has already started crop work and wont allo hunting for turkey season. :(

i did see a few on the way out to Springfield today. they were really close to whatever road goes between Cooperstown and Springfield at exit 24. made me really wish i was in the tree line right behind them.

I patterned the ole 870 ('79 wingmaster) yesterday. I have been hearing a few, but lost the main place I hunted last years. I am going to try and call in a few for some friends that are wanting to go. I enjoy calling about as much as shooting.

Side note, has anyone shot the Hornady shells that are supposed to be shot in modified or improved cylinder? I saw them for the first time yesterday and thought it might add another obstacle to overcome...

Guest adamoxtwo

As nice as the weather has been, they ought to be fired up! I may, I just may (this kills me to say), hunt them things this year. I don't care to eat them, so I really hate to kill them....but they aren't going away on their own. We'll see.....

I would love to deep fry one! If you kill one I would be more than happy to cook it up!

I found two more longbeards this evening.

I am all eat up with turkey fever. I can't make up my mind where I want to take my daughter Saturday morning. I decided to take tomorrow off work and see if I can roost a bird tomorrow evening. I just have to decide which area I want to go to roost one. I am trying to decide if I want to get up early to listen for gobblers tomorrow morning. I'm a wreck.... :)